« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > wich is the best caravan on the market money can buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
wich is the best caravan on the market money can buy

just a thought that i may upgrade my folding camper to a caravan next year would like to get some ideas from fellow campers on wich is the best also would like to have cg input as well Whistle rainy-city
xs

Post #124588 22nd Dec 2011 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Depends on what layout you need

How many people?, fixed bed?, single or twin axles?

Post #124592 22nd Dec 2011 9:39 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

box, wheels, drawbar, stinky portaloo, foldy sofa beds which fail at both jobs. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #124593 22nd Dec 2011 9:43 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green
Re: wich is the best caravan on the market money can buy

bigalf1961 wrote:
would like to have cg input as well Whistle

You asked for it Whistle

The last significant 'input' from CG has resulted in a child Laughing congrats mate Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #124594 22nd Dec 2011 9:50 am
bigalf1961

four people,shower,toilet flushing,microwave.sat tv. central heating most of the extras you can get in a cabin/holliday chalet but more versatile as you can take it with you Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #124595 22nd Dec 2011 9:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MVS

UK built or German?
How long can you handle, single or twin axle?
Budget?

Post #124596 22nd Dec 2011 10:27 am
bigalf1961

uk,single axel,budget 15 to 20k rainy-city
xs

Post #124604 22nd Dec 2011 12:01 pm
ad210358

England 

Currently have this but what is out there at the moment is not a lot better.
http://www.bailey-caravans.co.uk/images/do...eaflet.pdf

But if I had to change this would be considered
http://www.lowdhams.com/new-caravans/swift/conqueror/540

Post #124605 22nd Dec 2011 12:18 pm
EYorkshire

If you decide on a fixed bed then you have to choose between 'end fixed bed' or 'end washroom'. If you have 'end washroom' then you may not have privacy while your'e 'bonking' due to someone walking past your bed activities to reach the bathroom. Embarassed

Post #124606 22nd Dec 2011 12:29 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

bigalf1961
Currently on our 7th Bailey TA and I have to say the service from the dealer and Bailey have been outstanding.
I have had lunar s & Abbeys in the past that have both leaked but all 7 of my baileys have been superb.

With caravans a dealership is paramount. Warranty is only valid where you buy it from so check out the dealer service. 6 year body warranty with bailey or 10 on some of the other body shell types.

We have fixed bed which is brilliant , recommend microwave, never thought we would use it but now its fitted as standard we make good use of it.
Movers are worth their weight in gold, especially for twin axles but still great on single axle. Buy a decent one, cheap ones can engage on their own when going down a pot hole and burn the motor out !
always worth having van with 6-7ft front seats, otherwise your limited which way round to sleep when beds made up. Side dinets are great for two. Roof mounted AC better than under locker type. In board water tanks waste of space.
Nice big front gas locker that can be used as a shed is a boom.
Always check to see if you have option of wrap around seating at front with the option to remove cabinet, really handy option.
Alko wheel locks brilliant, save carrying wheel clamps. removable carpets brilliant when touring Europe. We always take ours out for the Med.
Happy hunting. FR2's tow like a dream, autos the best for towing ! My record is 860 miles in 11.5 hrs from Med to calais with just fuel and lunch stops.

Post #124608 22nd Dec 2011 12:47 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Warrenty is valid at any approved/authorised dealer if your buying new

Its also only valid if you keep to the service scheduled, as i found out when i had it service after it was laid up for winter, instead of before remaining 2 years out the window Evil or Very Mad but nothing went wrong anyway Wink

I opted for Sterling Caravans as when i purchased, prior to the new alutech body's of the baileys, i found that Baileys offered a mix and match approach to interior fitments, Brass light fittings and steel/chrome switches and taps, were Sterling has silver everything and a more modern feel to the seat fabrics

saying that, i might look towards a Bailey next as the Crusader is a little steep at £24K

Post #124610 22nd Dec 2011 1:02 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Warranty is very hit & miss, bought a van from a dealer up north once & the southern dealer didn't want to know any warranty work !

alutech design , I haven't opted for this version until its been around a little longer yet. I think there will be a different build style to come yet

I haven't had a miss match of fittings in any of my baileys, i think may be in the alutech body ones they do different lights to handles etc.

Value for money Bailey take a lot of beating, My TA was under 16 K brand new and I only lost 2k on my PX & had many holidays in it.

The reason i stand by bailey is the service I have received in total contrast to L/R !

I had faulty paint on one side of van,( slight discoloration in a large patch) Went back to bailey at Bristol who fitted Brand new side, plus new roof & front due to tree damage ( happened during storage ) plus new side on n/s, damage by cyclist on way home from collecting brand new van when the Censored mounted a bank to ride along the grass bank to overtake me on the inside and slid down the bank and put his handle bar through the side & Censored off ! So rebuilt by bailey all FOC & fantastic job done, couldn't fault it & looks better than new. Took 3 months which is exactly what they quoted so was ready for spring time this year. Thumbs Up

Post #124612 22nd Dec 2011 1:25 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 17th Feb 2013 9:45 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #124616 22nd Dec 2011 2:23 pm
ad210358

England 

The last three vans I've had have been Bailey, but the current crop don't do much for me, the Unicorn looks terrible, I looked round one earlier this year on the forecourt, never seen so many shades of white and cream, struggled to find two panels the same shade, the nearside was the worst, six diffent shades, shame really as the service from Bailey has always been good but the later models, not convinced, if they are all different shades when they come out of the factory what will they be like in three years Question

Post #124617 22nd Dec 2011 2:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

dunroof wrote:
Nicks portable hair dressing salon! :rolllaugh:No point in asking if the van is white too?

Of course its white, unlike the car, with a grey red awning, blue windbreak, yellow storm straps and green gas bottle

if your going to do it, you might as well use all the colours in the rainbow Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Gives the old dears something to look at whilst the blue rinse drys :roll:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #124618 22nd Dec 2011 2:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>