England 
10,000 Mile report

10,000 Mile Report

Freelander SD4 GS
Indus Silver
Winter pack
18” Alloy wheels + full size spare
Tinted Windows

There have been many useless posts on here of late, people fed up with the same old banter, I have been guilty of protracting some of the pointless threads.
So I decided to make myself useful for the new arrivals to the forum and maybe a little entertaining for some of the old hacks here too.

A little background

The last three years had been spent in a Mercedes C200 CDi, standard spec apart from leather and auto box. I live fairly high up on the edge of the Lancashire moors, winters are harsh and snow lingers, the Merc was pretty poor and having spent an age getting off Warwick services car park, which is as flat as a billiard table, my attention turned to a 4x4. I looked at various options, the top of the list was a Skoda Superb estate, way too big for my needs and eons waiting time. Dropped into Hunters Land Rover in Garstang one day, “just looking around” I told the salesman, “hang on, I’ll get some keys” he said, 30 minutes later after a blast over the Trough of Bowland in an SD4, I was hooked. After some problems with colours (Tsunami) I wanted red, LR said no, so I settled for Indus silver, never having has silver before, the Merc was black, so fancied a change. Deposit down and order placed.

Here I am 4 months and 10,000 miles later, with my thoughts so far, in no particular order and as concise but informative as I can.

Steering

I personally find the steering too light and quite vague, I still don’t feel confident in fast corners, partly due to the raised centre of gravity I suspect. Parking and low speed manoeuvring is exceptionally easy though.
The steering wheel in this spec is plastic, I was worried about this, not been a problem, to be honest I haven’t once noticed a difference between this and the last cat which was leather. The standard fit Pirelli Scorpions have been fine, no problems at all and with heavy snow this morning on top of frozen ground the coped admirably on the steep hills round here.

Gearbox

The SD4 is an auto as standard, my last 150,000 miles have been with auto’s, stuck in traffic jams and frequent forays into London traffic is no fun with a manual.
The box, 6 speed, has been very good, ratios are well spaced and once adapted to my driving style is always in the right gear at the right time. There is sport mode and a manual over-ride “Command Shift”, sport I only ever use on steep gradients as it will hold onto gears and engine braking can be had, if I feel the need for a spirited drive, command shift can be used, although at nearly two tons and high off the road, it is hardly meant to be a sports car.

Engine

Wow, this was my first reaction, and still is, the power and torque is immensely satisfying from a 2.2 diesel and a car of this size. It will certainly hold its own with plenty in reserve in day to day traffic, it is very easy to get going and needs a careful eye on the speedo as its effortless acceleration will quickly have you over limits without any fuss.
Oil consumption has been around 0.25 liters over the first 10k, this was a surprise and I expected heavier initial consumption, although most of the miles are motorway and it doesn’t get hammered, well not all the time.
Only one occasion gave me concern, last week, starting at -7, it suddered and spluttered for 4-5 seconds before settling into idle, almost as though it was missing.
The rest of the time it has been faultless and still impresses me today.

Brakes

The brakes are certainly powerful enough to bring it to a rapid stop, especially in anger. However, the seem to lack feel and are not as sharp as I am used too, again, this may be a 4x4 trait, I suppose you don’t want them locking to easily, so I forgive them as being “progressive”.
One area of real concern, though, after a long drive in wet conditions, the first press is “oh sh*t”, the Merc had brakes which constantly dried themselves and thus always ready, the Freelander brakes must get waterlogged and the first couple of seconds before they clear are unnerving to say the least. I have got into a habit now, of applying them a little to dry them of, not ideal, as in an emergency they won’t be ready.

Ride Comfort & Noise

The ride comfort is impressive, much better than the Merc, it soaks up bumps and pot holes easily and hasn’t been flustered with anything in its path so far. A day off road, in Northumberland, was also a pleasant and relaxing experience. Yes, it rolls in corners, its tall and that is to be expected, it hasn’t been a problem. Passengers find it relaxing and many have commented how they imagined it would be agricultural and pleasantly surprised that it isn’t.
Noise levels are not a problem at ordinary speeds, only above 70 does wind noise become apparent for me. Tyre noise has not been an issue.

Seating

The seating, standard cloth seats are fine and comfortable, although the drivers seat squab is not looking as good as it should, the material is fine but the shape is not right, it sort of looks baggy? this will be mentioned at service time.
The height adjuster is rubbish, it simply reverts back to its lowest setting every time it is used, there are threads on here about this issue, something that LR really should fix. The headrest keeps raising itself too, annoying but also happened on the previous car, maybe its me? Passengers find the seating comfortable and three in the back is easy to accommodate.
The lack of armrests is not a problem, although they would be nice, a cubby hole armrest may be sought in the near future.
The car has optional seat heaters which are great for our winters and I wouldn’t be without them, even though the seats are cloth, they are still cold on winters days.
Leg room is ample for and aft, I have just shy of six foot and there is no problem for adults sat behind me.

Boot Space

A bit of a misnomer this one. There isn’t any. OK, a little unfair, perhaps, the boot is adequate for my needs, overnight bag, laptop bag and camera gear. Anything more and its full, the day in Kielder, overnight for four people had it full. I have since purchased a dog guard (Travall) this allows for the space to be doubled as I can now load up to the roofline without luggage flying forward into the cabin under braking.
The load lip is quite high and consequently so is the tailgate when raised, OK for me but for those with pipsqueaks for a spouse may struggle.
There are standard strap hooks fitted, I have fitted a cargo net which is a very useful addition, come on LR this should be standard.

Storage

Pretty poor really, there is simply no-where useful to put things.
I have used the dash cubby hole, this has a built in Tom Tom, the gap at the side is just big enough for the iPhone, so that’s sorted.
I have fitted a Ford cup holder ashtray to one of the drinks holders in the centre, this is very useful for coins. The remaining cup holder position is filled with, errr a cup!! the thermos type fits quite well. The rear “hole” has various bits of junk in it, although I may splash out on a “WoodCo” armrest, although I will then lose the cup holder position, I think? maybe someone can enlighten me there.

Visibility

very easy to see all that is going on, given the commanding seat position. On occasions reversing hasn’t been easy, especially at night, tinted windows being the biggest issue and the fact I cannot get used to the rear view mirror, the interior mirror makes things look way too close for my liking.
The winter pack includes HID Bi-Xenon lighting, they are simply superb and an absolute must if you drive at night. The standard halogen projector lights are woeful.

Entertainment

Standard spec radio is fine for me, I listen to Radio 4, so the subwoofer doesn’t get much to do, unless I am in a mood and the MP3’s get blasted out. Euphoria tracks are a welcome diversion from the Archers and the system handles loud settings quite well, I do get laughed at though in town, Faithless and this is my church blaring out with a Fat, bald, 44 year old at the wheel has people in stitches.

Overall

very pleased with my purchase so far. If I had to score it, it would 8 out of 10, quite high, even considering its niggles and annoyances, but all cars have them.

I hope this has been useful and I have tried to be as concise as possible.
I look forward to the next 10k and will re assess then how things are progressing.

Paul

Post #124139 18th Dec 2011 3:38 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up Well done Taz

a good write up and well thought out, i have also had one or two moments with the brakes and agree to your term of “progressive”. a little unnerving epically the first few days of ownershio, but the car always stops, its just that sensation of "Oh S Censored T

I think its the action of the pedal, as after every time TVLR service it, they remind me to be carefull with the brake pedal, I'm now just on 75k with mine and its been the best car purchase to date

Post #124145 18th Dec 2011 4:20 pm
EYorkshire

Excellent Taz Thumbs Up Much the same opinion as yours in the categories, although I have now got use to the 'overly' light steering and have more of a feel for it now.

The brake description is spot on as is the Auto box.

I don't suffer from wind noise Embarassed there is a fault with rear door seals where some turn over on themselves, worth a check.

I have a centre cubby box/armrest, brilliant with the 'auto' stick but gets in the way of your elbow if you have a manual box. EDIT: You don't lose out on any cup holder positions and the 'rest' sits in the rear oblong hole but gives you double the storage.

Last edited by EYorkshire on 18th Dec 2011 4:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #124152 18th Dec 2011 4:42 pm
MANUFAN

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi Guys,
Enjoy the banter on this site but it is also good to get a well written article.
Well done Taz Thumbs Up

Post #124153 18th Dec 2011 4:43 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Good review- I have now down 4k since 1st October - still 'grinning' when i get into my XS thats after 12 years of Mercs & BMW's.
Had all the plus points reinforced today- Drove my wife's BMW Cab- could not wait to get back into my Freelander.
Again Great review 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #124162 18th Dec 2011 6:34 pm
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 17th Feb 2013 9:54 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #124174 18th Dec 2011 7:44 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Ive just reached 10000 mile in my HSE SD4 albeit took me a little longer (9 months). Have to echo Taz's comments it is simply an astounding vehicle to own. Had my first FL2 in 2008 and had a year of problems which made me consider my options when changing this year but really glad i kept with another FL2. The only fault it has is the electric lumber support doesnt work (infact never has!!!) Never used it in the last one and doubt I would use it in this one (if it worked) but will get the dealer to have a look at it during first service. Love the cold frosty mornings when I can start up, hit the front and rear heated screen buttons and the heated seat button, wait a few minutes and im away.

My only niggles - serious lack of covered storage space inside and a satnav screen that wont display properly until it feels nice and warm (a common problem with all factory fit FL2 satnavs) Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #124181 18th Dec 2011 8:03 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you can use front cup holder with armrest, tall cups wont fit in the rear one. I liked mine fl2 felt bare with no armrest after driving golfs and Audis and my ford ranger

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #124201 18th Dec 2011 10:36 pm
taztastic

England 

Cheers CG Thumbs Up That answers my question.

Post #124202 18th Dec 2011 10:41 pm
chicken george

only obscures the hand brake slightly too, still leaves usable access At work
At home

Post #124206 18th Dec 2011 11:02 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Handbrake is far more modern and superior on the Evoque and therfore room for any-size armrest Thumbs Up
Also has well positioned cup holders Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #124223 19th Dec 2011 8:40 am
chicken george

AndyC wrote:
Handbrake is far more modern and superior on the RRS and therfore room for any-size armrest Thumbs Up
 At work
At home

Post #124226 19th Dec 2011 9:13 am
taztastic

England 

chicken george wrote:
fl2 felt bare with no armrest

I have to sort something, my boss jumped into the passenger side of my car, straight from his HSE and promptly fell over into my lap, he's OK but not my type Laughing

Post #124233 19th Dec 2011 10:13 am
chicken george

claim a new one on expenses, if the boss complains threaten him with a sexual harassment charge At work
At home

Post #124237 19th Dec 2011 10:53 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 17th Feb 2013 9:52 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #124238 19th Dec 2011 10:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>