Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Antifreeze / coolant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ken1179

United Kingdom 
Antifreeze / coolant

Hi all

How do I get the cap off to top up the antifreeze, new member but read a lot before taking my first plunge!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried to turn to unlock but it tightens both ways???????? Big Cry

Still loving the FL2 Wink 2013 B&W edition black of course!
2010 GS where's the snow Smile

Post #122639 6th Dec 2011 6:31 pm
EYorkshire

Hi Ken, apologies if it's obvious but hopefully we are talking about the 'Expansion Tank' and not the radiator, if so then it's a normal screw thread and anti-clockwise to undo.

Post #122659 6th Dec 2011 8:05 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi you may feel that you are turning the expansion cap the wrong way it feels tight but its quite normal just keep turning anticlockwise and it will get easier remember to top up with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water Thumbs Up Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #122662 6th Dec 2011 8:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken1179

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, I had to push down at the same time too!!! Can't believe I did not do it the first time Embarassed Embarassed
Not sure if it was mixed already? Shocked

Also I have been told that you need to use the same tyres when they are ready to be replaced??

Could anyone shed some light please Smile 2013 B&W edition black of course!

Post #122669 6th Dec 2011 9:17 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

As far a tyres go, same size yes, same speed rating and load index probably a good idea even though they may exceed the theoretical perfomance and load of the vehicle. Type eg All Terrain or more road biased no you can change to suit your specific use/ needs, Manufacturer no you can suit yourself and your wallet, probably best not to mix two manufacturers on one "axle" but not illegal,

everybody has an opinion on tyres , mine is buy a top brand from a local fitter who can look after you after that the world is your lobster...... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #122678 6th Dec 2011 9:48 pm
Ken1179

United Kingdom 

Thanks Idea do I need winter tyres then? It can get quite bad where I live!!!!
Also got an A3 and considering winter tyres for that, but is it worth all the hype Shocked
They seem quite exspensive but found remoulds at half the price Question Question 2013 B&W edition black of course!

Post #122686 6th Dec 2011 10:04 pm
MartynB

Again, personal preference, Loads of forum members swear by winter tyres, but for 25 years I've managed to get by on all terrain tyres on 4 x4s in everything that the Pennine weather could chuck at me be it in Hi-lux ,Shogun, SJ413 or Defender 90, so I've put the same on the Freelander. Only ever been stuck when the hills were sheet ice and or the snow so deep that car could not get through, mind you I change well before "legal" and the 4 x4 is a second car no long runs just crawling localy.

On my company car i'm sure it would benefit from winter tyres instead of the 9" wide elastic bands it is fitted with but the lease deal my employer has does not cover tyre changes so we just crash the beemers and mercs instead Thumbs Up the Audis are not half as bad Very Happy 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #122724 7th Dec 2011 1:57 am
bigalf1961

save your money go for all terrain you are not messing about after winter changing them back at more expence i live not far from halifax never bought winter tyres in my life and yes iam also in the pennines and have got buy
this may cause a debate but may be the least inxperanced drivers buy winter tyres Mr. Green Mr. Green rainy-city
xs

Post #122730 7th Dec 2011 8:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

[quote="bigalf1961" but may be the least inxperanced drivers buy winter tyres Mr. Green Mr. Green[/quote]

I'll not bite - but over 50 years of motoring and lately driving HGVs tell me to take advantage of all useful safety features available. Why take risks when you don't need to? 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #122743 7th Dec 2011 10:07 am
MartynB

What worries me more than Tyres and Driving skill is whether on not the Brains Trust that runs Calderdale Council have worked out that you need rock salt stock piled before the winter starts , and you need enough to get you through all 3 months. Despite 90 odd years of motoring in the borough they still haven't quite worked it out. Bow down

The usual policy of keeping just arterial roads open means that B roads and side streets have been neglected for the last 4 years often leaving solid slabs of polished ice that nothing can move on for weeks at a time,

I can put Sebastian Loeb in a Freelander with Wintrac 4s and me in our's on ATRs and last year we would both be going down Shibden Valley the same, Like an 1800 kg Tobaggan Laughing 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #122748 7th Dec 2011 11:38 am
dunkley201

Martyn. You are so right, it is the ice that is the problem, not the snow. Ice can catch out all of us at one time or another. With ice you don't necessarily know it is there until a slide starts. At least you can see the snow! Re the councils, I live in a relatively rural area so don't expect much help in return for my taxes. Rolling Eyes 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #122750 7th Dec 2011 11:49 am
bigalf1961

hi dunkerly 201 just a quick question what did you do in the seventies when these tyres were not avalable Question

dont get me wrong iam all for technolgy but my personal opinion is that the tyre companies are trying to rip the a Censored se off people if your vehicle is two wheel drive ok it may help you but in a 4x4 with terrain control i dont think so or to put it another way should we be driving in these conditions in the interests of saftey Question rainy-city
xs

Post #122751 7th Dec 2011 11:51 am
dunkley201

Hi Alf. In the seventies (and sixties in my case) we wrapped up warm (heaters cr*p), carried some sacking and a spade plus a tow rope & jack, drove carefully and hoped for the best. Nowadays peeps wait for the AA to change a spare wheel! Shocked I remember using a Fairy Liquid bottle out of the window for screenwash 'cos the car didn't have any; having wipers that stopped on hills (vacuum) etc, etc. In the early 80's I had an Imp that was fantastic in the snow - used to charge at snow drifts with the front rising like a sled and the front wheels acting as rudders. Narrow rear wheels dug in and maintained traction - never let me down! Don't want a repeat of those days though. Modern wider wheels will tend to slip more easily. Stay in the well equipped, comfortable and warm car, drive carefully and be confident it can cope with whatever arises! Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #122752 7th Dec 2011 12:08 pm
bigalf1961

yes spot on my parents had a green grocers shop and they saved the onion sacks my dad had a vw type two van if he did get stuck put a couple of onion sacs under each wheel and connected them with string to the bumper so that when he got going he didnt stop and the sacks followed behind and then when he could stop he just opened the rear door and put them in Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #122758 7th Dec 2011 1:15 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

We already have a lot of threads on this topic. Take a look around. I don't use winter tyres myself - a) because I live in London and b) because the Freelander has been brilliant in the snow so far in normal M+S tyres with good tread. Two things I can add though - just about anyone I've spoken to about this on the continent thinks we are mad not to use winter tyres - and to those who remember the "old days" there was a lot less traffic to get in your way or slide into, cars had much less power and auto boxes were almost unheard of: all of these make winter driving more challenging nowadays.

Post #123283 11th Dec 2011 4:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>