« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Test Drive of TD4 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Test Drive of TD4 HSE

I have been for a test drive today at my dealers, unfortunately a LRE driver accompanies you. The day didn't start to well when the driver, whom I recognised from when I did my LR Level 1 course, gave me a load of sincere grief that I had nearly got him the sack when we last met - which put me in a not very good mood!

The car was zermat silver with ebony leather and darker wood trim. The cabin is a pleasant place, the dash is a soft touch leather like material, many of the switches and dials are straight out of D3. The sat nav is the same as D3 but with different graphics. The pti is blue tooth only and the first phone paired can be interogated for its phone book and big plus over RRS and D3. Windows are all electric and one touch. The mirrors fold when locking the car but can't be closed from inside - bad idea IMO. The seats are remodeled RRS ones and very nice. The driving experience is quite RRS like with a feeling of the cockpit style, but a little less so. The centre consol is a bit fussy and is mainly drink holders, a proper consol would have been better.

The wood that everyone is going on about is no big deal and there is very little of it. The key also is only the size of the D3 key and contains an actual emergency key (emergency entry is the same as D3) It also has a button to turn on the lights, a panic button and I think one other but I can't remember, but it is not the big deal some have made it out to be.

There is a little noise at idle, but on the go it is very quiet. It pulls well throughout the revs, it is sometime since I have driven a manual at this car was very forgiving. It is definately quicker than my D3 and throwing it through some corners it remained perfectly flat. The whole experience was very D3/RRS like and very enjoyable, a huge improvement over the current Fl.

At the end we tried to fit the dog cage from my D3 in it - which is very big. Footprint wise it fitted, just a little too tall which surprised me as I thought it would be far to big for the car.

I am told that there is a valid reason for not having an auto at launch, but he wouldn't tell me as it would end up on here! He also felt in everyday driving the diesel was as quick as the petrol. The MPG for the trip was 31mpg when we finished (it started at 29mpg) despite a 90mph sprint some big hills and wrong gears! All in all a very nice car. Don't believe the poor quality bit it all felt very nice indeed.

Post #784 23rd Nov 2006 5:08 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

Excellent... thanks for the review.

And what did you do to the poor chap last time you met him Shocked

Oh, and did the key rattle or is that a journo story going round ?

Post #785 23rd Nov 2006 5:15 pm
pelyma

Simon the key did not rattle. I first met the guy 18 months ago and we were talking about various bits of the D3 when the seat belt chime got mentioned. I posted about this and apparently LR jumped on him, even though I knew all about it. He was obviously narked about it, but if I had been considering several cars I would probably discounted Fl2 on the back of it. Maybe it was because I had got my revised tax bill today but he really peed me off.

Post #787 23rd Nov 2006 5:42 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks Pelyma, interesting report. Just received call from my garage, arranged drive on Saturday (11.00am), will at last see the grey, this is the test car, also has a silver, blue and that bright orange. The salesman was saying the Stornaway Grey has black interier but with some blue running through it,be interesting to see it! How did you find the gear box?
I will report my findings after my test drive
One interesting point, LR are using the Stornaway Grey on their showroom displays so I am informed by my garage
David David

Post #788 23rd Nov 2006 6:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

He should have made a joke of it. Would have got the message over to you whilst not peeing you off.

Post #790 23rd Nov 2006 6:53 pm
pelyma

I agree Si, his problem not mine!

David the gear box was fine, if you like these manual things Wink The car I drove was black inside, didn't see any blue. I have to say I don't like black but I know many do. Don't like much really do I? Laughing

Post #792 23rd Nov 2006 7:41 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

took our test drive today. very good. We got to go on our own. Plus points of being friends with the owner of the garage I guess.

Everything Pelyma said and more loved the way the key ejects.

Very slick gear change. Plenty pull in 6th took it up the drummossie brae out of Inverness heading south didn't loose any power in 6th.

Satnav menu very close to the graphic on a alpine head unit bit disappointed that it appears not to have prespective view (birds eye) happy to see the lane changing indicators. No rattles as of yet.

Collect my Tango one on the 7th. Fiona

Post #798 23rd Nov 2006 8:20 pm
pelyma

Aparently there are 13 Fl2 going around different dealerships with LRE guys. We have got to go back and see if another cage will fit!!

Post #803 23rd Nov 2006 8:51 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm getting a daylight test drive tomorrow and will also be taking a a dog crate !!! I've already measure the showroom car and the crate and we're down to the last millimetre in width. so must test it for real.

Post #812 23rd Nov 2006 10:45 pm
HSV Rangie

Australia 

All sounds good.

current car lease expires next year, FL 2 arives in Aus next year.

HSE D auto.

just have to hang out for demo cars here.

MIchael.

Post #825 24th Nov 2006 12:41 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

David Lindop wrote:
......... The salesman was saying the Stornaway Grey has black interier but with some blue running through it,be interesting to see it! How did you find the gear box?

The black interior with a hint of blue comes with the Scuba interior, the bolsters are black but the seat facings have the blue running through them where the Ebony black interior is black on both bolsters and facings.

Also if you haven't seen my comments on another thread the gear change feels great on the move, the reverse gate is lock out on the move but not when stationary, this addresses the concerns I had previously mentioned.

Last edited by avtur on 24th Nov 2006 5:59 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #837 24th Nov 2006 4:27 pm
Scottie

Scotland 

I'm not a fan of the beige interior with the blue centre. think it would be a nightmare to keep clean. Fiona

Post #841 24th Nov 2006 5:30 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Is it common practice to only get a short accompanied test drive? - I have to say for my previous cars (Audi, BMW and SAAB), I've had at least 2 hours of the car to myself with no salesman tagging along - the SAAB was the best with a 24 hour test drive - this gives you a real chance to look at the car from all aspects and to test it out on some of your more familiar routes. I'm amazed that a dealer will expect to sell a 25K motor without offering this as a service - come on LandRover, listen to your customers !

BG (rant over)

Post #843 24th Nov 2006 10:11 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

early days yet... the full release of demo vehicles has not commenced yet.

Post #844 24th Nov 2006 11:05 pm
pelyma

boiledgnat wrote:
Is it common practice to only get a short accompanied test drive? - I have to say for my previous cars (Audi, BMW and SAAB), I've had at least 2 hours of the car to myself with no salesman tagging along - the SAAB was the best with a 24 hour test drive - this gives you a real chance to look at the car from all aspects and to test it out on some of your more familiar routes. I'm amazed that a dealer will expect to sell a 25K motor without offering this as a service - come on LandRover, listen to your customers !

BG (rant over)

Ha ha you're having a laugh - customer service is not a strong suit of theirs! TBH I think some of it is they don't need to try too hard to sell the cars so why bother racking miles up on demo cars.

Post #851 24th Nov 2006 11:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>