Home > Technical > HEADLAMPS - Bulbs, Upgrades, Changing - ALL HERE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Stubbenoldgit wrote:
On the recent Autoexpress test 19 October 2016 the winning bulbs were

Philips Racing Vision, claimed 150% greater output, but with very much reduced life

2nd place RingXenon130+
3rd place GE Megalight Ultra 130+

I have to replace my Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited as both dipped lamps failed within a week of each other and I now have standard spares in. The Osrams were distinctly brighter and whiter. Probably going to go for the GE, 2for1offer in Halfords.

Philips have also produced an H7 LED replacement, they gave out similar light to the test winner, looking at the scores, beam said to be legal, but not officially approved for road use. 140 quid each apparently from what I can see. Wonder if there is enough space for the cooling fins / cooling fan at the back of the bulb. Giving these a miss I think.

Well the GE Megalight Ultra 130+ are in, and while they are better than the standard H7, definitely not as good as the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. Even though they are supposed to throw more light out the beam control doesn't seem so good.

Post #312119 27th Nov 2016 11:43 am
BUNJI81

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Headlight / HID Bulb Help

Hi All.... I'm new to the forum and indeed to Land Rover so please forgive me if this question has already been asked a bazillion times,
I've just bought a 2014 Freelander2 GS (facelift with signature led headlights) However I've noticed that the factory bulbs aren't that bright, has anyone any experience with using HID Bulbs, or could recommend a good replacement/alternative.

Thanks in Advance Very Happy

Post #312191 28th Nov 2016 10:39 am
Dakers

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Just read through this thread and others last night and this morning as my drivers side bulb went last night on my '14 XS with halogens.
I'm not sure if there's a consensus on the optimal replacement bulb, unless I'm mistaken? The Halfrauds 120% extra ones seem to be ruled out due to length issues, and I see a poor review on Amazon for the Osram NBU from a Freel2 owner https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3NDHHIMNB...automotive
I'd like to get this ordered today at least, but a bit confused what the masses deem a good replacement? To be honest, I've not been blown away by the performance of the standard bulbs, so looking for an improvement.

Post #312196 28th Nov 2016 11:12 am
taztastic

England 

ANY lamp that suggests a higher light output WILL have a shorter lifespan.

The manufactures of the lamps produce them at 55watt, the light output can be manipulated by changing the colour temperature, this is achieved by a coating on the glass along with making the filament slightly shorter. The filament burns hotter and gives the impression that 'more' light is being produced, in reality the light is more focused as the filament, or focal spot is smaller, this gives an illusion of more light or a longer beam. Because the filament is burning hotter this decreases the life expectancy, in most cases from 2000 hours to 1000 hours a significant reduction.

The best option is to keep a look out for a set of HID equipped lamp housings, the do come up on here occasionally and also eBay.

Post #312198 28th Nov 2016 11:23 am
Dakers

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Thanks, I'm prepared to take the shorter lifespan for the increased performance. It's a small price to pay for the extra safety for my girlfriend or I when driving it. I'd probably spend that £30 on tat over the course of the months they last anyway!
Just curious if I order some replacement lamps today what the suggestions are, or just pull the trigger on the Osram NBUs.

Post #312200 28th Nov 2016 11:28 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I always carry at least two spares...."just in case"

I find that the Osram's seem to last about 9 months ish. They are guaranteed for a year but I have never got round to claiming yet. Halfords were just a total waste of time

This is all with regard to the HB3 type

Steve

Post #312201 28th Nov 2016 11:33 am
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

This is the full test to which I referred above.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-t...group-test

Not sure if you use H7 or HB3. Presumably these are the projector style, not sure if there are also an extra pair of main beam units.

Regardless of the Autoexpress test results I'm convinced that the GE bulbs I have fitted are not as good as the Osram NBU which they replaced, though it's a bit difficult now as they blew and I drove with a set of standards for a week. However the main beam lamps are still Osram NBU and are imo brighter and whiter. That's probably not a fair comparison because comparing a main beam pattern with a dip pattern, but no matter how I look at it, from inside the car, or outside looking directly or at an angle the Osram seem brighter.

I agree with the posting by Taz, best solution is to retrofit a set of HID.

Post #312202 28th Nov 2016 11:39 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Am I the only one who thinks the standard (Bosch bulbs) are just fine?

Have tried the "higher output" bulbs, they seem to be a different colour, but no more light, a right pain in the Censored as they seem to last no time at all. Changing bulbs with the G4 lamp guards fitted is a right pain.

OK some FL2 don't actually have a high beam, and just move a shutter to point the existing 55W higher up!, so 55W verses 110W isn't really a fair comparison.
The previous Skoda had Xenon's, these were only 35W, but gave a similar light output to standard 55W lamps, the colour was far more blue, which in my mind was harder on the eyes than the more yellow of standard halogens. Again only one bulb in the housing so not really comparing eggs with eggs, as 110W is always going to beat 35W, unless of course you go for LED, in which case the efficiency is massive. BUT the lamps will burn colder - so they can't melt snow / ice off the front of the lamp.
Also isn't throwing more light out going to blind / annoy oncoming motorists, the lamps were designed for standard bulbs.

OK I am lucky, we go into the cinema late with the lights down low and Gill struggles to safely walk up the stairs, to me it's as clear as day.

For those who are electricians, who believe that bulbs = plants, and that the glass thing with the hot wire inside is a lamp, I really really don't care. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #312203 28th Nov 2016 11:51 am
taztastic

England 

I suspect your car Andy, has the large reflector, type headlamp? the problem seems to get much worse with projector style headlights when halogen lamps are used, the light output is pitiful.

BUNJ181 says he has LED strip headlights but doesn't say if they are HID or halogen, I suspect halogen.

My previous Freelander (MY11) also had HID headlights fitted but where far superior to the latest design. LR seem to be way behind the curve on lighting.

Post #312207 28th Nov 2016 12:08 pm
BUNJI81

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm assuming they are Halogen? definitely not xenon anyway. Which I think I would prefer.
Like I say I'm new to Land Rover after previously owning a BMW with Xenon lights, these are pretty dire.

Didn't really realise how bad they where till driving over the A666 at 12pm last night.

Post #312208 28th Nov 2016 12:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

So what you are sying Taz is that in the first instance the engineers get it right, then some idiot (sales or bean counter), say we want something more sexy / cheap and they screw it up.
So reflector goes to projector - which are worse.
And HID goes to new HID which again are worse.

The good news is I was under pressure from Gill to change the headlights to "those new LED thingys", not really what I wanted as she is a G4, but now I can say they have a rubbish light pattern, and only a single bulb that doesn't last as long. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #312222 28th Nov 2016 1:47 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

FWIW, 4 years ago I bought a set of 4 of the earlier H7 +90 Night breakers which gave a significant improvement on the originals. Since that time I have had only one failure. I bought another pair & always keep the spares in the car. My headlights are the original style with 2 H7 halogens per fitting.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #312233 28th Nov 2016 3:46 pm
taztastic

England 

When the Freelander 2 was launched it came out with a Halogen headlamp with a large reflector, lamp and reflector optimised.
Then along came HID so LR decided to adopt that technology and also decided to run with one style, they went over to a projector style lamp.
The projector style reflector and lens are optimised for a HID lamp with a 1mm arc of light, tightly focused and very good light output, then some berm decided to use the same assembly with Halogen lamps, these have a 5mm filament much of which is no longer in the optimum focus so much light IMHO is lost, hence the crap output.

Post #312239 28th Nov 2016 6:38 pm
Jeffrois

United Kingdom 
Main Beam not working on 2014 FL2

Hi,
Our 2014 FL2 has been through about 5 headlamp bulbs in the past 1.5 years. apart from that, last night I(in the fog) I noted that only the RH main beam was working. Well for about 5 mins when not stopped and took out the RH headlamp! Have replaced the headlamp bulb (which had exploded)- but both main beams are not functioning - any ideas? Bulbs are halogen not zeon.

It looks like there is a mechanical solenoid near the headlamp assembly. I could not find any fuses for main beam in the manual.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thans in advance.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffrois on 8th Jan 2017 4:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #314760 8th Jan 2017 3:59 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Has the freelander came back Wink 2104 Laughing MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #314761 8th Jan 2017 4:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 20 <123 ... 101112 ... 181920>