Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Evoque Dynamic SD4 - first impresions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Evoque Dynamic SD4 - first impresions

The other week I had a (white with black roof) Evoque Dynamic SD4 (auto) loan, while freely was being serviced. Although the boot space was a bit restricted and it is a much lower vehicle compared to Freely (easy to bump your head on the open boot door), it did have all the gadgets to play with and was very comfortable and pleasing to drive. The SD4 engine was far more poky than our TD4 even although it was not yet worn in. The overall impression was of a superbly designed interior full of smart details far too numerous to mention here and well kitted out with all the extras one expects from a luxury vehicle. The whole day testing on asphalt and gravel tracks only made the smile larger and larger - the Evoque is a real joy to drive no doubt about that, and if you don't need a larger vehicle and have deep pockets go and try one yourself I'm sure you will be impressed.

Is it just a woman's car? - NO it is not.
Why? cos not many woman would get satisfaction from all those knobs and playthings it has to offer.
Would I buy one? - Yes I would, if I didn't need the boot space right now. Crying or Very sad
Will I buy one later maybe? - No, I wont use that much cash for a car. Whistle

However, if they make the FL3 based on the Evoque concept then I will definatly be paying a visit to the bank. Twisted Evil 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #120569 17th Nov 2011 10:13 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

love em, in 2 years i will be getting the 4 door version Cool freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #120570 17th Nov 2011 10:17 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'm sticking with a RRS , that air suspension really eases the pain of potholes after you've had a good kicking. probably explains why dealers and villains have them also Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #120575 17th Nov 2011 11:00 pm
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

I liked them when i saw them online but i had a look at them while i was waiting around for 2 hours in the dealers the other day and i changed my mind.
I haven't driven one and i suppose that could change my mind but they look so small. The way that they had them in the showroom made this stand out even more. They were standing next to their biggest Range rover model and just looked so small. They look like they have been squashed from above.

I was really looking forward to seeing one in the flesh but was disappointed when i did see it. It seems to me that size matters Laughing

Post #120602 18th Nov 2011 9:01 am
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

CG, I really thought that with all the support and sympathy you have received from vanners you might have re-assessed your attitude to us. Your location hasn't changed I see. Please tell me that you will or I might have to pay out again. Whistle Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #120603 18th Nov 2011 9:05 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Should have mentioned that it was a 4-door I tried out. The 2-door would be a no go for me anyway and which do look a bit squashed.

Some of the details that were well liked:
1). The digital + normal speedometer.
2). Navigation and radio etc. information screen.
3). The paddle gearing on the steering wheel.
4). Automatic rear door opener and closer.
5). Smart valuables hide-a-way storage in the boot.
5). Push button hand brake or rather the absence of the traditional hand brake lever.
6). Absence of a gear lever – a simple dial is all that is needed.
7). Push button TR – far more elegant than the shiny knob we got.

One dislike: No opening sun roof is offered. Although the glass panorama roof gives a bright open appearance I would certainly miss not being able to open it. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #120605 18th Nov 2011 9:14 am
Annie

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

Great to hear your views as i only saw it in the showroom and didnt get chance to have a good fiddle about as you have done Smile

I just think that the range rovers and i must say the freelander look better when they are in a line-up in the showroom. Only my opinion and i know that they are flying off the shelf so im in the minority.

I just think that they look like they have been squashed from above and they look alright from the ground 'up' til you get to the windows and then it all just looks too small, narrow, not tall enough sort of thing.

They sound to have lots of stuff going on inside though.

I havent had a sunroof for years but i did used to like them when i had them Smile

Post #120609 18th Nov 2011 9:44 am
athelstan

I've seen a few both at the factory and here in CH. I do not like the body style (4 & 2) door, however the interior is first class. I concur with AndyC, in that I look forward to the day when the whole LR model palette has such interior refinement.

If you have cash to burn here in Switzerland - where all LR models are very very expensive - then you will have to wait until earliest August 2012 for your Evoke if you signed the order this week.

Post #120625 18th Nov 2011 11:40 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

My wife & I went on a Range Rover Evoque Unleashed event as we had an invite from LR. Initially I wasn't going to go, just couldn't be bothered as I didn't want to like it to be honest but we couldn't refuse the outing. I did ring them up before we went & said that if we are to go along we would like to play with the 2.0Litre Petrol Turbo version & they reserved us one.
Once I started to take an interest the draw to the Evoque for me was this petrol version & the sporty look of the Dynamic model, these 2 features were what I wanted in the FL2 when I was ordering it.
Anyway we are so glad that we went, so glad in fact we went & ordered one!! A Dynamic Lux Si4 (Petrol Turbo @ 240BHP). We went for the 5 door for two reasons, one - practicallity & two the 5 door looks better IMO.

Yes the Evoque doesn't have so much rear load space & load height as my FL2 but the spec & kit just blows away even the most speced up SD4 HSE FL2. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #120697 19th Nov 2011 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I can really see the appeal of an Evoque, it's just not for us. We'd miss the height, the view out and the practicality too much Sad

Given the money, I think I'd go the RRS route too, but at over 30,000 miles a year I don't think that that's about to happen! Rolling Eyes

Post #120714 19th Nov 2011 9:59 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:

Given the money, I think I'd go the RRS route too, but at over 30,000 miles a year I don't think that that's about to happen! Rolling Eyes

Save the best car for the shortest journeys Rolling Eyes , so if your going a really long way? walk? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #120715 19th Nov 2011 10:02 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Save the best car for the shortest journeys Rolling Eyes , so if your going a really long way? walk?

I can see the odd flaw in that argument! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #120716 19th Nov 2011 10:09 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

How much are they over charging for the Evoque Andy Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #120720 19th Nov 2011 10:51 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
How much are they over charging for the Evoque Andy Question

The Dynamic Lux Si4 with metallic paint, privacy glass & a couple of other interior options comes out at just under £45K. Yes a lot of money but if you spec right up a FL2 SD4 HSE your'e on just shy of £40K & the Evoque has a vast array of extra kit. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #120737 19th Nov 2011 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up but how much in AndyC Land Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #120738 19th Nov 2011 4:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>