« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Towbar Fitment Advice Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SimonC

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Towbar Fitment Advice Needed

Hi,just wondering if anyone has advice on towbar fitment. Is aftermarket self-fitting straight forward enough,including wiring, or is it best taken back to main dealer for fitment. Thanks.

Post #119777 10th Nov 2011 12:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
brightsparking

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

If you are fitting the LR kit, then it's straightforward bolt on job. Bumper cut was needed on my kit.

After fitting the ECU needs reprogrammed by LR to let it know there is a kit fitted, otherwise the new electrics don't work.

Post #119782 10th Nov 2011 12:54 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

had after market tow bar fitted to 2011my no re programming needed all electrics work ok the only two things that the program does as far as i know is when you select reverse it cuts out the rev sensors but you can do that with the button on the dash,the other thing is that the trailer light on the dash does not light up but if you have a buzzer that sounds when you operate the indicators you are legal hope this helps (manchester tow bars fitted mine) Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #119799 10th Nov 2011 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I fitted a Witter (from P F Jones) detachable myself. It was very easy having come with very clear instructions (available to view in advance on their website) and is neat high quality and good value. I got hold of a set of 2nd hand LR electrics(very expensive new) which were also easy to fit and just needed activating by the dealer which they did free of charge when I went in for auto transmission recall. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #119802 10th Nov 2011 2:49 pm
EYorkshire

bigalf1961 wrote:
the only two things that the program does as far as i know is when you select reverse it cuts out the rev sensors but you can do that with the button on the dash, Thumbs Up

He has a GS, odds on, no button on the dash Thumbs Up

There are numerous informative threads on this, a search will bring in some good info.

Post #119805 10th Nov 2011 2:52 pm
ad210358

England 

Programming also disables the rear fogs on the towcar Thumbs Up

Post #119807 10th Nov 2011 2:55 pm
SimonC

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Towbar advice

Thanks for the advice so far. I did wonder if all that the dealer work needed on the electrics was to overcome the reverse sensors,foglights etc. So I could buy any self fit bar(prefer the flange type) and a set of plug-in electricals and do it myself.

Post #119809 10th Nov 2011 3:01 pm
EYorkshire

Fit whatever bar takes your fancy, remembering some need a bumper cut and some don't. Dedicated electrics will allow the software change, bypass relay won't. Non dedicated electrics will allow the dealer to blame any electrical problem on the towbar installation.

Post #119813 10th Nov 2011 3:07 pm
ad210358

England 

If you buy the Brink or LR one (Identical) the bumper cut is not a big job, it is roughly a 2"square cut out of the bottom centre of the rear valance and they supply a pattern for you to cut around if you need it.

I do recall someone fitting a Witter detachable and for that you do not need to cut the bumper nor do you need to remove the bumper to fit it, you will need to check but you remove the reflectors from your bumper, drill an access hole behind where the reflecters were to gain access with a socket and extention, when done just replace the reflectors and it covers the hole. But check first Thumbs Up

Post #119816 10th Nov 2011 3:15 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

My Witter detachable (flange model) did not require a bumper cut or removal . They suggest drilling holes in bumper behind the reflectors - I managed to do it from underneath. It's a bit tight but not that that bad. All very neat when done and with it being detachable does not impede the off road rear ascending angle when not attached. Thumbs Up - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #119828 10th Nov 2011 4:28 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

freedieselauto wrote:
I fitted a Witter (from P F Jones) detachable myself. It was very easy having come with very clear instructions (available to view in advance on their website) and is neat high quality and good value. I got hold of a set of 2nd hand LR electrics(very expensive new) which were also easy to fit and just needed activating by the dealer which they did free of charge when I went in for auto transmission recall.

Second this and no bumper cut needed Smile

Post #120110 13th Nov 2011 5:35 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

freedieselauto wrote:
My Witter detachable (flange model) did not require a bumper cut or removal . They suggest drilling holes in bumper behind the reflectors - I managed to do it from underneath. It's a bit tight but not that that bad. All very neat when done and with it being detachable does not impede the off road rear ascending angle when not attached. Thumbs Up

Same for me with Witter - well made bit of kit and easy to fit plus no bumper cutting.

Also fitted non-LR single electrics as they were way cheaper. They work without any need for LR programming with a buzzer for indicators but don't do the smart stuff such as turn off the fogs and pdc when towing. There again I only use mine a couple of times a year for a bike rack.

Post #120119 13th Nov 2011 6:22 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

With the electrics you do get what you pay for.

The LR sockets are water proof rather than water resistant. The cable enters the back of the socket and is potted (filled with a resin) to exclude water. The front lift up lid has an O-ring seal to stop water ingress, stops the socket filling with mud off-road, and the pins don't seem to corrode as they are not left damp from salted roads.

The bad news - they cannot be replaced like for like. When some Censored rams you and damages a socket you need to buy a new loom assembly, or fit the cheap inferior stuff from Halfords. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #120133 13th Nov 2011 7:30 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Agreed Andy - but what you can also do is cut off the twin sockets and feed both cables into a 13 pin Euro socket where the connections are far superior Thumbs Up

Post #120152 13th Nov 2011 8:59 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

mmm ...... did you know on the revised MOT 13pin sockets have to be tested and working correctly.
7 pin sockets just have to be secure.
Bit of a pain if all you use the tow bar for is a bike rack.

Must admit I havent seen a 13 pin socket, the 7 pin ones on our 13 year old van work fine, so am unlikely to change just for changings sake. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #120182 14th Nov 2011 1:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>