Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > M5 Collisions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

My daughter drove up from Cornwall passing (thankfully) Taunton just before the crash. She is a fairly experienced driver doing 20k plus each year but said she was never more pleased to see Junction 13 on the motorway that night.

Lorries tailgating, spray and variable amounts of mist/fog. In addition idiots at 80mph plus in the fast lane.

I suspect that given the atmospherics that night, coupled with some smoke, a fog descended where a river passes beneath the motorway just before the crash site. The fog would have been held by the colder air.

As an earlier poster has said, "Motorway Madness" will be the main culprit. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #119607 8th Nov 2011 11:05 am
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

See this article about the possible impact of the increase in the limit to 80, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15620146
I am happy at 80, 85 on motorways but am very consious of having space around me and will pull over if I think the car behind is too close. I also recognise my failings and acknowledge I am not a perfect driver........ I do enjoy driving fast on country roads, a lot more dangerous than on motorways......... JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #119648 8th Nov 2011 4:01 pm
ad210358

England 

There are already many motorists traveling at 80+ so I can't see the 80 mph making a lot of difference to the accident statistics as many are doing this speed already, all it would mean is a lot more motorists would be travelling within a legal limit. But if it does come in I can see it being more rigorously enforced, but how unless they put more Police out there, there are more and more Motorways where gantry style cameras have apppeared, the M25 now has gantry cameras round to J9 whereas the the variable speed limit starts at 11, but then with the allowance for speedo inaccuracies you are really saying 90 will be the new limit. With some of the vehicles you see today such as a newly qualified driver, just passed his test, hurtling down the outside lane in a clapped out Saxo is a bit scary.

Post #119668 8th Nov 2011 6:40 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

ad210358 wrote:
the M25 now has gantry cameras round to J9 whereas the the variable speed limit starts at 11, but then with the allowance for speedo inaccuracies you are really saying 90 will be the new limit. With some of the vehicles you see today such as a newly qualified driver, just passed his test, hurtling down the outside lane in a clapped out Saxo is a bit scary.

Mr Saxo Man, Corsa Man etc already do drive like that & worse as some do it on country lanes! Censored (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #119681 8th Nov 2011 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

its a shame that its not practical to make part of the driving lessons/test a big crash at high speed , when you have been in a biggy its very sobering and may be also make everyone drive an artic for a day ! & a motorcycle too ! then everyone would have more respect for everyone else & those that don't then remove their licence for good !
It would be fun at least

Post #119688 8th Nov 2011 9:10 pm
ad210358

England 

Not a bad idea, if other drivers had some experience of what it is like to drive other vehicles they may think twice before some of the manoeuvres they do, also why can there not also be a staged test, the theory part is ok but then the next bit could be staged so that after the main test which would allow you to drive, but not allow motorway driving until another test is taken after compulsary lessons say two or three months later, but then some of the drivers school trainers have little idea on lane discipline. Only problem is people who live some distance from the motorway network.

Post #119691 8th Nov 2011 9:34 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

oldgeezer wrote:
its a shame that its not practical to make part of the driving lessons/test a big crash at high speed , when you have been in a biggy its very sobering and may be also make everyone drive an artic for a day ! & a motorcycle too ! then everyone would have more respect for everyone else & those that don't then remove their licence for good !
It would be fun at least

Always thought that some sort of 'shock' treatment might make people think more. How about a video for all new drivers showing the horrific injuries that are a result of an RTA? And the rest of us get a 'refresher' of some sort every few years?

I used to take part with the RAC/ACU motorcylce course and showed the new riders my injuries. Most had never even considered how lethal any form powered transport can be.
Until i showed 'em. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #119696 9th Nov 2011 12:02 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

As my dad says, the idiotic drivers are fully paid up members of the 'It will never happen to me brigade'.

If you were to lecture these people and show them horrific crash footage, they would probably smirk and laugh and say it can't happen to them because their car is superior in some way and they are gods gift to driving etc. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #119697 9th Nov 2011 12:11 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

There will always be a minority of idiots, but i think for the majority of those who are sensible it can be a very useful learning aid.
I've seen it so. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #119698 9th Nov 2011 12:31 am
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Then of course we have foreign drivers be it truck drivers or immigrants whose cars would not pass a UK MOT, all LHD and very little experience of driving in the UK, my brother was hit by a Turkish truck some years ago and the police had more sympathy for the truck driver then my brother, (the poor guys are under pressure to get the job done ) was there response, what t Censored S. Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #119699 9th Nov 2011 12:33 am
colinrr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

ad210358 wrote:
There are already many motorists traveling at 80+ so I can't see the 80 mph making a lot of difference to the accident statistics as many are doing this speed already, all it would mean is a lot more motorists would be travelling within a legal limit. But if it does come in I can see it being more rigorously enforced, but how unless they put more Police out there, there are more and more Motorways where gantry style cameras have apppeared, the M25 now has gantry cameras round to J9 whereas the the variable speed limit starts at 11, but then with the allowance for speedo inaccuracies you are really saying 90 will be the new limit. With some of the vehicles you see today such as a newly qualified driver, just passed his test, hurtling down the outside lane in a clapped out Saxo is a bit scary.

It is very unlikely that police forces will 'put more police out there'. Roads policing is a very low priority for most Chief Constables and has been for some time. The Traffic/ Roads Policing departments of all forces have been cut down to the bare bones. There is far too much reliance on speed enforcement cameras and 'civilian' traffic officers who have no policing powers as a cheap way out. It is now an extremely rare sight to see a Police Traffic car even on motorways other that when they are attending a collision. One of the reasons for this is that Chief Constables listen to the public and traffic enforcement is a very low priority for most people whereas other crime is not. Little thought is given to the fact that most criminals travel on the roads in vehicles.

By the way, there is no allowance given for speedo inaccuracies. Speedometers (since 1986) have to be designed to have no minus reading error but are allowed to read 10% (+4kph I think) high. Only very old vehicles had spedos subject to a +/- 10%. This is different to the ACPO enforcement guidelines of a threshold of 10% + 2 mph for speeding offences. 1982 RR Classic-converted to 200TDi-gone
1992 RR VogueSE- converted to autogas-gone
2000 FL1 3dr (wife's)
1996 Disco 1 300 Tdi(gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS auto (gone)
MY 2011 SD4 HSE Automatic

Post #119722 9th Nov 2011 4:55 pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

Quote:
If you were to lecture these people and show them horrific crash footage, they would probably smirk and laugh and say it can't happen to them because their car is superior in some way and they are gods gift to driving etc.

absolute bang on ! Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts/
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: sophie.alltoft@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #119723 9th Nov 2011 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

colinrr wrote:

By the way, there is no allowance given for speedo inaccuracies. Speedometers (since 1986) have to be designed to have no minus reading error but are allowed to read 10% (+4kph I think) high. Only very old vehicles had spedos subject to a +/- 10%. This is different to the ACPO enforcement guidelines of a threshold of 10% + 2 mph for speeding offences.

But the fact remains at current guidelines they will allow 10% above the 80mph which is as near as dammit 90mph and bang on with the 2%.

I beg to differ on the ACPO guidelines, it is up to the individual traffic areas, around here there is no +2mph, just the 10% on Camera Vans and Gatso's Wink

Post #119725 9th Nov 2011 5:41 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

No 10% here I got a speed awareness course at 32mph in a 30 and my speedo reads exactly the same as my tomtom so no 10% error there either.

Post #119727 9th Nov 2011 6:02 pm
ad210358

England 

And I thought I was hard done by at 34 in a 30 even the guy at the speed awareness course was surprised at it, mine was on a Gatso and the wife for the same speed an a camera van.

Post #119728 9th Nov 2011 6:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>