Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Calling International Rescue!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Calling International Rescue!

Well Land Rover Assist actually - after a complete refusal to start this morning.
Insert key as normal - press button and nothing. Not even a reset of the trips. No dashboard lights, dials , NOTHING.
Remove key and reinsert - press button - zilch!!!
Repeat numerous times - fetch SWIMBO`s key - same result.
Very nice man from LR Assist tried the same - put jump battery on - result was the same.
THEN - remember this for future reference - disconnected battery earth terminal (10mm spanner reqd.) leave for 3 or 4 minutes - reconnect and all was OK. His comment was " You wouldn`t believe how often that trick works".
He suspected that the immobiliser had somehow disabled the car - but he wasn`t sure. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #8743 18th Oct 2007 6:51 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I have used the disconnect battery trick several times to cure non working reversing sensors,audio problems and the nonworking key problem treat the car just like a computer switch it off have a cup of tea and plug it back in again.. Had to do the same with the wifes new mini cooper as well for the same reasons.Technology eh !!!

Post #8744 18th Oct 2007 6:54 pm
Goldstone69

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Exactly the same thing happened to me nicam including disconnecting the battery to TEMPORARILY fix the problem . You need a software update to permanently solve the problem or it will happen again , contact your dealer asap the LR assist man should have told you this Rolling Eyes . My FL2 has had no problems since the software update get it booked in Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #8745 18th Oct 2007 6:59 pm
Tandemman

Had the software upgrade/download.no problems yet but fuel consumption 5mpg worse and car runs very lumpy when cold.personally I dont trust computers so the battery spanner stays in the car

Post #8746 18th Oct 2007 7:28 pm
Goldstone69

I have lost at least 3mpg since update Tandemman others have had the same (see category General-Fuel Economy) .....shows how reliable the trip computer is Shocked ! Interested in your comment "runs lumpy when cold" i thought mine had seemed a bit sluggish on cold mornings thought it was my imagination ....maybe not ,could be trouble ahead as winter approaches Sad ....hope the spanner helps might try and find mine Laughing

Post #8747 18th Oct 2007 8:23 pm
Tandemman

had to scrape the ice off the windscreen this morning car felt ,for the first 10 miles or so,like it was in grass/ gravel/ snow mode with poor throttle response and lurching feeling changing from 2nd to 3rd maybe I'm just being super sensitive,not usually something I,m accused of!!!

Post #8749 18th Oct 2007 8:42 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

thanks for the tip Nicam. I'm sure I'll remember this next time I'm in the desert again.

Rolling with laughter

Post #8753 18th Oct 2007 9:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Goldstone69

Tandemman wrote:
I'm just being super sensitive,not usually something I,m accused of!!!

not a "new man" then Laughing Barnsley born and bred ?! Whistle

Post #8754 18th Oct 2007 9:12 pm
nicam

Goldstone69 wrote:
Exactly the same thing happened to me nicam including disconnecting the battery to TEMPORARILY fix the problem . You need a software update to permanently solve the problem or it will happen again

The worrying thing is that the car has had all the available upgrades installed - this was confirmed in a conversation with the servicing dealer. Prior to yeaterdays total non start, the non-start/trip reset / starts 2nd or 3rd attempt problem had been occuring less frequently, but had not gone away completely.
Perhaps unconnected but it was very frosty as I was attempting to start the car yesterday and after a few minutes a melted circle of about 80mm diameter appeared in the centre of the roof, just over the position of the rear view mirror. Something in there was producing quite a bit of heat - the LR assist said that it was where the Heated Screen connections were (?!?) but that shouldn`t switch on until the engine is running, so I am not sure what it was that caused this.
Edit - Just realised it would be the interior light, as the door was open for quite a time as I struggled to start it - Dooooh Embarassed Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #8773 19th Oct 2007 10:27 am
Goldstone69

That is worrying nicam sounds like you have a v poorly car has your dealer come up with any ideas to sort out all your problems ? It is very odd that cars have identical computer software problems.... upgrade fixes one and makes little or no difference with another Confused Banging Head

Post #8774 19th Oct 2007 10:52 am
nicam

The saga continues - see Part 2 Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #10621 25th Nov 2007 6:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1