Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > BBC4 Peak District programme
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I too, must agree with Eyorkshire. I don't know if I am a rambler, but I like to walk, albeit where I live or when on holiday and have never even considered that only walkers should use the routes.

Post #118709 31st Oct 2011 6:19 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Gunfa wrote:
I am with EYorkshire on this, I go mountain biking, fell running, orienteering and rambling, I love the country side I don't want to ban anybody from getting pleasure from it, while Mountain Biking in Swaledale I arrived at the start of a green lane at the same time as an impressive convoy of Land Rovers (Defenders and Range Rovers) I thought brilliant I can watch these guys negotiate the ford across the river, but the guy in the lead car was a gentleman and insisted I go first. This was a responsible group who were quite happy to give way and drive in a reasponable manor, its the minority that are going to get lanes shut to traffic, insisting on ploughing on despite the damage they cause (as in the one churning the snow covered track in the program ) I have received abuse from ramblers as a cyclist, although 2 skinny tyres cause less damage than a gang of heavy booted ramblers, some ramblers think that the country side is just for them. Its hard to see a solution to keep everybody happy perhaps all ramblers should try some responsible 4x4 driving and all 4x4 drivers should try some tranquil rambling, both camps might find a new pastime they enjoy.

+1

Post #118715 31st Oct 2011 7:48 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Another +1

Post #118721 31st Oct 2011 8:26 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

On our peak district outing, we had to drive past some ramblers/walkers on a BOAT near Chatsworth.

I waved to say thanks to those who stepped aside to let us through and some nicely waved back. I had the window down and one couple made a joke and were very friendly. Unfortunately, one woman ruined the mood by shouting "NOT amusing, sorry, shouldn't be allowed on here!"

We also encountered some trail bike riders who were very friendly and kindly held open some gates for us. Definitely agree about those idiot 4x4 drivers who just drive stupidly such as the ones on the snow.

I recently spoke to a chap from Edale Mountain Rescue who said that a family drove over from Stockport in a Mitsubishi Pajero Rolling Eyes and went down The Roych near Castleton.....In the heavy snow last December Evil or Very Mad

They thought they were invincible on an already challenging track now made worse by snow and in pitch black darkness! Needless to say they had to be rescued and they had young children with them. Idiots like these give responsible off roaders a bad name. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #118733 31st Oct 2011 9:18 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

The problem is there a small minority that ruin it for everyone else.

Someone grassed me up to the police and said I was driving dangerously and off the track on a byway. The only people we saw that day we stopped and pulled over and waved them past, but the silly old idiots grassed us up! But there were more of us which stood up when questioned by the police.

Most of these people have nothing better to do and need to truck and get a life

Post #118757 31st Oct 2011 11:08 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I mess about frequently, on a narrow gauge railway, by the High Peak trail above Wirksworth. No 4x4's here, unless a council ranger passes by in one to do maintenance or hedgecutting. Many people visit our trailside ticket kiosk, and we get moaning regularly. The horse riders complain about walkers, the walkers complain about horse riders and cyclists. The cyclists complain about everyone else, particularly dog walkers. There is generally a very selfish attitude nowadays, few people are prepared to share any amenity with others, and want it to themselves.
There is no answer to it, no hope of reasoning with the vociferous ones either.

Post #118841 1st Nov 2011 10:00 pm
athelstan

geoff.c
What you have said is true, but there has to be an answer if the "freedoms" that folk insist that they have a right to are to be maintained and the facilities sustained by the National Parks' Authorities.

That answer requires cooperation not the belligerence we have seen out there in the countryside, on the BBC programme and within this thread.

As I said before entrenchment, partisan ranting and the disenfranchising of the "perceived rights" of others will only lead to lasting conflict. And that is neither use nor ornament to any of us.

-o0o-
ps: the NR guage railway up in the quarry is a fine project - the history of the railways that previously served the quarries of Wirksworth is an interesting one. Are you aware of the 20+ miles of underground roads in those hills and that Mrs Thatcher stockpiled "Cold War" emergency supplies in those tunnels.

Post #118862 2nd Nov 2011 8:29 am
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
Wirksworth

Hi Athelstan, I have heard of these underground roadways, but don't actually know where any of them are, or if you can access them. There is certainly a lot of industrial, well, mining and quarrying history anyway around Wirksworth. The various railways that connected everything have largely gone, but slowly volunteers are bringing some back.
Back to the off road topic, i agree there has to be some answer to the conflict on green lanes etc. Unfortunately, some people don't feel a day out is complete, unless they have had a set to over rights of way with a complete stranger!

Post #118938 2nd Nov 2011 8:08 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Most walker/ramblers are OK, some are arrogant and self-centred as described above and get the rest a bad name;
Most 4x4 drivers a responsible and careful like us, but some are not, cause damage and distress and get the rest a bad name;
Most horse riders are ok, some are arrogant (none pick up horse poo). Horses are not machines and they have a mind of their own which is a hazard.
In conflicts like the Peak District one and in politics, perception is everything - they think we are all the same, we think they are all the same; live and let live please, everyone! Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #118956 2nd Nov 2011 10:13 pm
athelstan

Re: Wirksworth

geoff.c wrote:
Hi Athelstan, I have heard of these underground roadways, but don't actually know where any of them are, or if you can access them.

From the northern end of your NG line turn west and march (not easy terrain) less than half a mile and you'll not know it but you'll be upon them. Shocked

Post #118977 3rd Nov 2011 9:20 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

there you go debate away, thread cleaned and made PC Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #119129 4th Nov 2011 12:17 pm
athelstan

npinks wrote:
there you go debate away, thread cleaned and made PC

Grand Mr Pinks - in fact you could say I'm tickled pink Very Happy

Now I wonder what the lot up in the Scottish National Park (which I believe is the subject of this week's programme) have to say on the subject of "rights" and "freedoms". This is good television if not great journalism.

On that subject (good TV) I watched last night the very last of the "Coast" programmes. Neil Oliver's closing comments were absolutely accurate; sometimes the inhabitants of the Isle of Britain really do not realise the natural treasures to be found on their doorstep. Coast gave me many new leisure ideas and locations.

Post #119138 4th Nov 2011 1:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12