« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Mini Cooper S with winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Mini Cooper S with winter tyres

I was talking to a chap at work today who has a mini cooper S and he made a bold claim that when fitted with winter tyres, he would be able to drive through snow just as easily as an FL2 or a Disco 4 or RR etc. Even if the Landies were fitted with winter tyres Shocked

I tried to explain that despite the big difference the tyres make, he only has 2WD if he pushes the tyres to their limits with all that power going through the front wheels and that on thicker snow his lack of ground clearance would stop him.

He was having none of it though (Taking the pi Censored me thinks) Rolling Eyes Laughing

Just out of curiosity, anyone driven a cooper S in snow? Winter tyres or not? I have heard they are a bit skittish at the best of times. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #118394 28th Oct 2011 7:33 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Methinks he is talking rubbish.

Two wheel drive, no traction control, no diff locks = not going anywhere in a hurry.

All he needs is for both front wheels to spin on ice/compacted snow and he's going nowhere while your Freelander will seemlessly transfer drive to the non-spinning real axle and push itself through the ice/compacted snow. Ground clearance will also be a problem in anything but the lightest dusting.

Post #118400 28th Oct 2011 8:05 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Re: Mini Cooper S with winter tyres

The Doctor wrote:
I was talking to a chap at work today who has a mini cooper S and he made a bold claim that when fitted with winter tyres, he would be able to drive through snow just as easily as an FL2 or a Disco 4 or RR etc. Even if the Landies were fitted with winter tyres Shocked

I tried to explain that despite the big difference the tyres make, he only has 2WD if he pushes the tyres to their limits with all that power going through the front wheels and that on thicker snow his lack of ground clearance would stop him.

He was having none of it though (Taking the pi Censored me thinks) Rolling Eyes Laughing

Just out of curiosity, anyone driven a cooper S in snow? Winter tyres or not? I have heard they are a bit skittish at the best of times.

Yep, I had a Cooper, then a Cooper S. I liked the Cooper and loved the Cooper S Thumbs Up

My last Cooper S even had a proper mechanical limited slip diff. (LSD) and traction control, combined with good condition standard 205/35 R17 tyres.

I drove it in the snow with high hopes that the LSD / TC would make a world of difference. Guess what? It was crap; no traction to speak of at all in the snow Laughing My V70 D5 was slightly better than the Cooper S was in the snow.

This was with the original Supercharged Cooper S. If he has the later Turbocharged Cooper S, it's likely to be even worse as they did away with the mechanical LSD Sad

Post #118414 28th Oct 2011 8:57 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Interesting point there Tigger. He has the original cooper S.

What difference do you reckon winter tyres would have made to your cooper S? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #118418 28th Oct 2011 9:09 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:
Interesting point there Tigger. He has the original cooper S.

What difference do you reckon winter tyres would have made to your cooper S?

I can only guess what difference winter tyres would have made, but ground clearance would certainly be an issue either way.

The Cooper S's LSD and TC made the car extremely capable of handling 170bhp + through the front wheels in normal conditions without any drama, but they paid absolutely no dividends in snow.

Come to think of it, it had to be rescued once from a lightly muddy Forestry Commission car park, by a 4x4 pick up with a tow rope, when the FL2 wouldn't have even noticed that there was a problem.

Post #118419 28th Oct 2011 9:15 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I bet that was a bit of a pain Laughing

A friend of mine had a Cooper S and she lives on a housing estate where the roads aren't gritted. She said it was absolutely awful in the snow and she couldn't even get off the flat driveway!

She has now changed her car and now owns a BMW 1 series Rolling Eyes

She said she wanted a big improvement in snow performance from her next car but still wanted a hatchback Rolling with laughter She doesn't even know the 1 series is RWD so I recommended winter tyres. She hasn't bothered though, DOH!

http://psyft.wordpress.com/2011/01/09/bmw-...ong-tyres/

Whistle LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #118423 28th Oct 2011 9:54 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Post #118424 28th Oct 2011 10:07 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Any car fitted with appropriate winter tyres will cope with any snow and ice conditions, if not Norway would stand sill during the winter - which it doesn't.

If driving in new deep snow, then of course the mini wont get as far as the Freely due to the clearance under the car, but on snow plough cleared roads that are still have packed snow and ice any car with winter rubber wont have any problems.

Long before the days of before 4x4 and traction control, I was winter mountain driving with a 3 litre Ford Capri and that never got stuck either. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #118425 28th Oct 2011 10:36 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

It is clear from Andy's example that winter tyres are a key to success when driving in snow.

I can only assume that a Land Rover fitted with winter tyres and driven appropriately is the Ultimate Force then! Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #118427 28th Oct 2011 10:46 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

the mini is very light and with winter tyres it will make excellent progress on the snow if driven correctly.

my daughter has a Ford Ka and it is brilliant in the snow due to it's lightness.

Iain

Post #118446 29th Oct 2011 10:27 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Ultimate Force Question

Well certainly the last 4 winters Freely has been almost invincible and with new studded winter tyres to be fitted in a couple of days - hopefully totally invincible Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #118456 29th Oct 2011 3:16 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Quote:
the mini is very light and with winter tyres it will make excellent progress on the snow if driven correctly.

I once had a 2CV (cars don't come much lighter) it had narrow large diameter normal tyres, it would go anywhere in the snow, I once picked a work mate up from a hilly Cul de sack and he couldn't believe it, nobody else had been able to get up or down. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #118465 29th Oct 2011 4:46 pm
Piggus

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

When it snowed I always got the Morris Minor Traveller out of the garage because it was better in the snow than the Cooper S!

Eventually I swapped my Cooper S for the FL2.

In summary:

Dry weather-
Cooper S VERY FAST & BUMPY
FL2 FAST ENOUGH & SMOOTH

Snow-
Cooper S HEART IN MOUTH, WILL IT STAY ON THE ROAD?
FL2 AMAZING, DRIVES THROUGH ANYTHING

Post #118482 29th Oct 2011 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1