Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > To chip or not to chip???????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
To chip or not to chip???????

Looking at getting my car chipped by a proffesional company who re-map the ecu. Just wondered if many others have had this done and is it worth it? I mainly want more mid range power in 3rd-4th gears

Post #118049 25th Oct 2011 10:36 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
Re: To chip or not to chip???????

landy19840 wrote:
Looking at getting my car chipped by a proffesional company who re-map the ecu. Just wondered if many others have had this done and is it worth it? I mainly want more mid range power in 3rd-4th gears

I think this has been discussed many times, and as I recall possibly the manual gearbox isnt up to more power?

anyone - can you clarify pls? 

Post #118055 25th Oct 2011 12:07 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

in general I am not a fan of chipping for extra power, but last Sunday I was blown away by a Ford C Max, and wished then I had a wee bit more power !!

had just left a roundabout on the M9 and going up a slight incline and he just left me, it was a diesel as you could his smoke, Embarassed

Iain

Post #118059 25th Oct 2011 12:43 pm
taztastic

England 

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10212.htm...box+torque

Iain, I believe the Ford has a very similiar engine to that in the SD4, maybe a little more powerful, they quote 200PS against the SD4 190PS. It is a lighter car a certainly will fly.

Post #118060 25th Oct 2011 12:47 pm
iain cooper

taztastic wrote:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic10212.html?highlight=manual+gearbox+torque

Iain, I believe the Ford has a very similiar engine to that in the SD4, maybe a little more powerful, they quote 200PS against the SD4 190PS. It is a lighter car a certainly will fly.

yes I was really surprised, certainly didn't expect to be left in his dust !!

Iain

Post #118069 25th Oct 2011 1:10 pm
EYorkshire

I can't find a C MAX with a bigger engine than 140PS Confused but with it being lighter on it's feet it will be more nimble.

..... and correct that the Freely manual box is at it's limit regarding torque (380Nm designed) with 400Nm going through it, not to mention the clutch, 1st gear has it's torque electronically limited because of this.

Post #118071 25th Oct 2011 1:28 pm
taztastic

England 

You are right EY, C-Max is only 140PS, I looked at S-Max, freelander should keep up with C-Max as the figures are not startling, unless it was chipped or indeed an S-Max?

Post #118078 25th Oct 2011 1:49 pm
iain cooper

taztastic wrote:
You are right EY, C-Max is only 140PS, I looked at S-Max, freelander should keep up with C-Max as the figures are not startling, unless it was chipped or indeed an S-Max?

could have been an S Max, as I only clocked his rear end !!

Iain

Post #118080 25th Oct 2011 1:56 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

My other car is a Focus RS, which I have had dyno'd to 308bhp.

Several friends joined me on the day it was done and had their RS's done at the same time. What really shocked me was the difference in the results between those who had had their cars chipped for maximum bhp (one read 370bhp) and those that had had their cars much more extensively (and expensively) modified to produce around 345bhp.

Those with the simple chip to 370bhp definitely achieved the extra power, but the mid range (which is what you really need, unless for reasons of bar room bragging), was very slightly worse.

The 345bhp cars with around £2500 worth of hardware achieved torque curves to die for and even made me consider stumping up the cash for mine to be done! Shocked

The moral of this story is that I wouldn't even consider a simple remap without seeing genuine examples of before and after power curves and would doubt that anything that involved a simple remap would give anything other than great (but otherwise pretty meaningless) headline power figures.

Meanwhile, if you disclose the modifications, your insurance renewal may become a complete nightmare. If you choose not to declare it, DO NOT run into my car uninsured!

Post #118115 25th Oct 2011 7:06 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Had my 07 auto done with a custom remap last year at about 30k miles - gave it a new lease of life and I have never regretted it. Don't see much (if any) MPG improvements but it shifts along much better Very Happy

Post #118119 25th Oct 2011 7:37 pm
nikileoncupra

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I had my '07 FL2 done last year and it was the best thing I ever did. Loads more grunt and I get an extra 5 mpg!!

Post #118211 26th Oct 2011 3:23 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Superchips is probably the best re-map available for FL2, it also comes with Bluefin which allows you to swap and change.

Superchips developed this on their own FL2 so it was well and truly put through it's paces before release. Mine has been done since the end of 2007 and so far not one issue.

The manual gearbox is fine as torque is limited in 1st and reverse. Just like the standard map. But if you abuse it, you will be asking for trouble, but this can go for a standard car also. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #118289 27th Oct 2011 5:50 pm
Junior

England 

Mav
I had a Superchip map put on my 57reg from new, they over cooked the torque resulting in a exploding gearbox at 26k miles (18mths old). the car was fast tho Very Happy
I recently had my Passat done by Carbon In Altrincham and the result is truly amazing, I would say a better result than on my Fl2, Carbon also buy cars for research and development including a Fl2 and a Disco. They had an M3 an AMG merc and a Black cab on test when I was there Shocked

Superchips is a franchise and the guy doing the remap (flashing the software via a laptop) may not necasary know anything about your car, where as the guys at carbon live and breath it and the software developers are on site and will even explain which of the 100's of maps in the ecu they have modified and why. I was even allowed to sit in the office watching while the guy (Nick) was editing my map.
The customer service was amazing where as at superchips I sat in a waiting room for an hour and was then given the keys back and waved off.

Post #118312 28th Oct 2011 12:09 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Junior wrote:
Mav
I had a Superchip map put on my 57reg from new, they over cooked the torque resulting in a exploding gearbox at 26k miles (18mths old). the car was fast tho Very Happy
I recently had my Passat done by Carbon In Altrincham and the result is truly amazing, I would say a better result than on my Fl2, Carbon also buy cars for research and development including a Fl2 and a Disco. They had an M3 an AMG merc and a Black cab on test when I was there Shocked

Superchips is a franchise and the guy doing the remap (flashing the software via a laptop) may not necasary know anything about your car, where as the guys at carbon live and breath it and the software developers are on site and will even explain which of the 100's of maps in the ecu they have modified and why. I was even allowed to sit in the office watching while the guy (Nick) was editing my map.
The customer service was amazing where as at superchips I sat in a waiting room for an hour and was then given the keys back and waved off.

Your not entirely correct about Superchips. Superchips themselves are based in Buckingham and are dedicated software writers.

All the different places you can get your superchips installed are as you say, a franchise. But ALL the re-mapping is done by Superchips themselves in Buckingham.

A franchised dealer will read the file from the customers car, send it to superchips, they then re-write it and send it back to the dealer to install.

Different Superchips dealers have different customer service. Thats why I have always dealt directly with Superchips. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #118431 29th Oct 2011 12:25 am
iain cooper

Mav71 wrote:

A franchised dealer will read the file from the customers car, send it to superchips, they then re-write it and send it back to the dealer to install..

don't like the sound of this ..........too many cooks spoil the broth !!

Iain

Post #118444 29th Oct 2011 10:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>