Home > General > Driving on snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

attox wrote:

Thanks VIKING,

I understand your winter conditions are very extreme, so appreciate your suggestion.
Unfortunately my local regulations do not allow to use different sizes than shown on the registration card, that is 215/75-16 (6.5 J x 16 rim), 235/65-17 (7.5 J x 17 rim) + etc... so excluding the first one because of tyre unavalability the first usable size becomes 235/65-17.

Are you absolutely sure about this? We shall also use the size in registration card, but a little flexibility is allowed if that ensures better safety.

But: If so, then it is even more important to have good tyres. Look at Conti, Nokian and Bridgestone. (The ones I mentioned initially) But it MUST be SUV-tyres. But can you have a thinner tyre than 235? If so, I recommend that for driving on snow.

Please tell what tyres you finally end up with. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8634 16th Oct 2007 6:43 pm
attox

Italy 
Re: Driving on snow

VIKING wrote:
Chains are not necessairy unless you are driving in a meter of snow. Some experts say it is better to let some air out of your tyres than using chains.

Unfortunately in some different areas around the Alps you are obliged to carry chains on board and sometime Authorities impose you to use them even if you have snow tyres and 4x4 traction, overriding the general driving code which considers chains and snow tyres as equal substitutes.

It happened to me in Italy, France and Austria.

Post #8635 16th Oct 2007 6:43 pm
VIKING

attox wrote:
VIKING wrote:
Chains are not necessairy unless you are driving in a meter of snow. Some experts say it is better to let some air out of your tyres than using chains.

Unfortunately in some different areas around the Alps you are obliged to carry chains on board and sometime Authorities impose you to use them even if you have snow tyres and 4x4 traction, overriding the general driving code which considers chains and snow tyres as equal substitutes.

It happened to me in Italy, France and Austria.

Well, you do get there, -also with chains. Better to have chains on your wheels than on your arms, on your way to jail. Laughing 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8636 16th Oct 2007 6:47 pm
attox

Italy 

VIKING wrote:
attox wrote:

Thanks VIKING,

I understand your winter conditions are very extreme, so appreciate your suggestion.
Unfortunately my local regulations do not allow to use different sizes than shown on the registration card, that is 215/75-16 (6.5 J x 16 rim), 235/65-17 (7.5 J x 17 rim) + etc... so excluding the first one because of tyre unavalability the first usable size becomes 235/65-17.

Are you absolutely sure about this? We shall also use the size in registration card, but a little flexibility is allowed if that ensures better safety.

But: If so, then it is even more important to have good tyres. Look at Conti, Nokian and Bridgestone. (The ones I mentioned initially) But it MUST be SUV-tyres. But can you have a thinner tyre than 235? If so, I recommend that for driving on snow.

Please tell what tyres you finally end up with.

Yes unfortunately we cannot use other sizes unless you apply for a new special registration (too complicate, you should be a car company!)

I understand in your place they are more flexible because of the severe weather conditions. I have been twice in north Scandinavia in the winter and I had a lot of fun! (Of course with the right tyres, I remember with studs).

I will let you know my choice as soon as I will sort it out.
Just a curiosity. Do you use metal rims for your winter tyres?

Post #8637 16th Oct 2007 7:00 pm
VIKING

attox wrote:

Just a curiosity. Do you use metal rims for your winter tyres?

We use alluminum rims.

Oh, one more thing about chains. Remember you must have four of them. One for each wheel.

On frontwheel / backwheel-driven cars two is sufficient (for the pulling wheels). But if you have only two on a 4x4, you will destroy the car. I mention this because not everyone is aware of this fact. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8638 16th Oct 2007 7:08 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

VIKING wrote:
...On frontwheel / backwheel-driven cars two is sufficient (for the pulling wheels). But if you have only two on a 4x4, you will destroy the car. I mention this because not everyone is aware of this fact.

Would the intelligent 4WD system not take care of this? Granted, you'd lose the benefits of a 4x4 because it'd primarily only be putting the power through the 2 wheels with chains, but in theory shouldn't it be OK?

Post #8640 16th Oct 2007 7:23 pm
attox

Italy 

From page 192 of the Owner manual (english version downloaded from LR site):

Single sided Spike-Spider traction devices can only be fitted to the front wheels of vehicles fitted with 17 or 18 inches diameter wheels.

No traction devices should be fitted to the rear wheels.

(see also tread on Technical/snow chains)

Post #8641 16th Oct 2007 7:32 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

TR will help you a lot more than you think possible, but it won't help you stop Laughing D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #8647 16th Oct 2007 8:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

NightFox wrote:
VIKING wrote:
...On frontwheel / backwheel-driven cars two is sufficient (for the pulling wheels). But if you have only two on a 4x4, you will destroy the car. I mention this because not everyone is aware of this fact.

Would the intelligent 4WD system not take care of this? Granted, you'd lose the benefits of a 4x4 because it'd primarily only be putting the power through the 2 wheels with chains, but in theory shouldn't it be OK?

i have spoken to a few companies on snowchains and they all say 2 chain is fine for 4x4's Question Question Question Question

Post #8652 16th Oct 2007 8:12 pm
VIKING

npinksi wrote:
have spoken to a few companies on snowchains and they all say 2 chain is fine for 4x4's Question Question Question Question

Then they dont know what they are talking about. If you put chains on the front wheels only, they would have a bigger rolling distance than the back-wheel, unsyncronizing them, then destroying them.

Frontwheels and backwheels will roll slitely differently, and in the end they have rolled a different distance, which in turn will destroy the car.

Believe me, some 4x4-owners have discovered this. To me, this is quite obvious after I had been made aware of the fact by motor-experts.

I mean, think: Back-wheels and frontwheels running a different distance!

That is of no importance to a front/backwheel-driven car, as the other wheels are just rolling. Not pulling.

But when all 4 wheels are to pull, the must pull simultaneously, not separately.

Come on guys, it is obvious when you think about it. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Last edited by VIKING on 16th Oct 2007 8:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8659 16th Oct 2007 8:36 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Doesn't this car have a centre diff (or LR's version of one) Question , in which case rolling distance is irrellevant. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #8661 16th Oct 2007 8:44 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

UKdave104 wrote:
Doesn't this car have a centre diff (or LR's version of one) Question , in which case rolling distance is irrellevant.

I would have said the same (not that I understand the technical side of these things), but looking at the section on towing the vehicle in the owner's handbook, it says:

CAUTION
The vehicle should only be towed with four wheels on the ground. Towing with two wheels on the ground will result in serious damage to the transmission.

I guess this is in effect the same issue.

Post #8663 16th Oct 2007 8:54 pm
VIKING

NightFox wrote:
UKdave104 wrote:
Doesn't this car have a centre diff (or LR's version of one) Question , in which case rolling distance is irrellevant.

I would have said the same (not that I understand the technical side of these things), but looking at the section on towing the vehicle in the owner's handbook, it says:

CAUTION
The vehicle should only be towed with four wheels on the ground. Towing with two wheels on the ground will result in serious damage to the transmission.

I guess this is in effect the same issue.

I rest my case. Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #8664 16th Oct 2007 8:59 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Quote:

Yes I agree with that statement because there isn't any way to select a "neutral position" on the transfer box which would isolate front and back axles from each other (my old Jeep Cherokee had one).

But, as the vehicle is marketed as a "Full Time 4WD" then there has to be a centre diff as I stated previously therefore rolling distance is irrelevant. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #8665 16th Oct 2007 9:08 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

attox wrote:
Winter is approaching.

Has anybody experienced driving on snow yet?

Sorry, a bit late into this thread, but here's my twopenneth...

I drove on snow at the beginning of the year during my LRE half day awareness. The car was standard with standard tyres, and the snow was loosely packed - only about 5 other cars out on the course that day. The instructor made me do a little test to see the effect of the terrain response unit - firstly to leave it on road use and then accelerate hard. This caused lots of snaking down the track. We then put it into snow mode, and try as I might to lose the back end, it held firm.

So, In my (brief) experience, normal tyres and terrain response will be adequate for most snowy conditions.

Post #8666 16th Oct 2007 9:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>