Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remote engine start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Search Clifford alarms, think they do something which would do what you needed. Looked at them when was considering a Clifford Blackjax system.

Post #116618 12th Oct 2011 12:38 pm
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks mojo! Clifford are imported in Romania by the same supplier who imports Viper alarms. I explained in my previous post the issue with this - it will void the waranty as they are not a LandRover approved service unit.

Post #116620 12th Oct 2011 12:41 pm
alex_pescaru

In the summer, just use the confort open of the windows on the remote control.
I've realised that if you lower all 4 windows from the remote and wait about 10-20 seconds before geting into the car is just enough to equalize the inside temperature to the one outside.
You can even unlock the car and lower the windows from distance and until you get to the car, those 10-20 seconds have already elapsed and voila.

I wont install ever a remote control start as it needs for a key (or the security chip from inside the key) to be near the immobilizer reader for authorization and this is a major security issue.

Post #116647 12th Oct 2011 3:40 pm
MihaiB

alex_pescaru wrote:
I wont install ever a remote control start as it needs for a key (or the security chip from inside the key) to be near the immobilizer reader for authorization and this is a major security issue.

Alex, why would it be a security issue? I believe it would be hidden somewhere quite safely. I would validate the entire thing with the insurance companies, of course, so it doesn't void the insurance but otherwise it should be fine, I guess....

Thanks for the advice on the windows, sounds good!

Post #116662 12th Oct 2011 4:57 pm
alex_pescaru

It's the same as you hide the house key on a flowerpot near the house entrance.
Someone could see you and then enter the house.
The same here.
Someone sees that your car can be remotely started and knows from that moment that he can steal the car.
How? He inserts in the slot any blank/empty key WITHOUT the security chip and press the start button. The system, having your security chip near, thinks that a real key is inserted. And way he goes... Very Happy
It's even easier than the normal cars with normal keys, because in that case there must be inserted a real key with a specific groove pattern. If the pattern doesn't match, the key doesn't turn. Not the case of the FL2.

But in the end, it's your car and you can do with it whatever you want... Laughing
Just my 2 cents.

Post #116681 12th Oct 2011 8:26 pm
MihaiB

Hi Alex!

Of course, each owner decides what they think it's best. But the forums also play a role, in educating the less knowledgable owner and in exchanging ideas.

Your comparison is correct. Just that the flower pot is inside the house (the chip is inside the vehicle) and the installation is made in a service, where not many people are looking - except the mechanics who, maybe, have a night-job in stealing cars they worked on Smile.

On the other hand, I don't think it's that simple to steal a car with such a system installed. First of all, there is the alarm. As you probably know, most just hit&run, they don't bother running around the city in car with the alarm on. Second, I am pretty sure the ignition is linked to the alarm so if it doesn't receive the command from the alarm to start, it won't. The alarm chip would act in this case similar to the chip in the key. Therefore, the car could only be stolen if the engine is already on, i.e. in the 5 minutes from when the owner remote-started the car until he comes down and unlocks the door. Of course, it would be sensible not to remote start the car if you are in an unsafe area...

From my point of view, the system is quite safe. Still, there isn't much to do about it since LR won't accept the installation from a third party and they won't install it themselves. Of course, I am not going to loose the warranty of the car over the convenience of such a system.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and hope you don't mind the debate Thumbs Up

M.

Post #116683 12th Oct 2011 8:39 pm
alex_pescaru

I don't mind at all! On the contrary, debate to be!
From turmoil the progress is born! Laughing

Yes, you are right, I forgot about the alarm. Embarassed
Indeed, the alarm will have to be disarmed in order to start the car.

Post #116688 12th Oct 2011 9:07 pm
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

In the UK its actually an offense to have the car running without antone inside or around the vehicle, hence the reason its not fiied to any vahicle.
However you can fit a plug in heater towarm the car up.

Post #117357 18th Oct 2011 6:23 pm
MihaiB

This sounds strange... How is "around" defined? If around in a 50 meters radius, is it ok? Smile

Speaking of this, I remember we had an accident in Romania where a guy with a Q7 left the car in neutral, got out of the car and in front of it to speak to someone and the car started moving and hit him... I imagine the rule was to protect people from doing this to themselves?

Post #117394 18th Oct 2011 9:43 pm
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

MihaiB wrote:
This sounds strange... How is "around" defined? If around in a 50 meters radius, is it ok? Smile

Speaking of this, I remember we had an accident in Romania where a guy with a Q7 left the car in neutral, got out of the car and in front of it to speak to someone and the car started moving and hit him... I imagine the rule was to protect people from doing this to themselves?

Yes, it comes under not being in proper charge of the vehicle.
A couple of incedents of cars running over children, and being stolen off drive.

Post #117406 19th Oct 2011 7:10 am
EYorkshire

It is only an offence on the public road, not on private land or your driveway.

Post #117408 19th Oct 2011 7:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12