« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Steering please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin100

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue
Steering please?

Ok chaps, newbies back ( shreeks of "Oh shee-ite").
As already explained, this is my first FL2 ( actually, my first 4 wheel drive) always been into luxury saloons etc.
Anyway, love the lump - nice to drive past a cop and look down at HIM Very Happy
Just a question re the steering - is it incredibly light on all FL2s or is it just mine?
I automatically thought that the steering would be a bit meaty and blend with the vehicle, not so.
A slight touch to the left or right produces a slight "rock" ( for want of a better description) and it feels as if the front end has no weight to it.
A bit un-nerving as I expected to feel the weight even over the power steering but when cornering, it gives the impression that the front-end is going to slip out of the corner - this is driving on road under normal conditions ( no stress on the car).
So is this just me having to get used to it or maybe something else that you Great Exhalted Thingys might know about?
Cheers chaps

Post #115981 7th Oct 2011 1:50 am
EYorkshire

I came from an XTrail where you had 'Popeye' arms to keep it straight, and like you I asked the same on here. The steering is very light and initially I had no 'feel' for the road and was a little wary of its cornering capabilities, also the straight ahead had me over correcting.

I remember wet road cornering had me clenching the bum cheeks for a while as I felt I had no feedback on its grip capabilities (felt a bit like steering on ice), but after a short time the relaxed driving attitude won me over and I'm now completely use to it and its 'feel' for the road.

So yeah, the Freely was not what I was expecting but once you get use to it, it's soooooh relaxing. Thumbs Up

Post #115983 7th Oct 2011 7:12 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

EYorkshire wrote:
I came from an XTrail where you had 'Popeye' arms to keep it straight,

So now you have arms that look like Olive oyls Very Happy

Post #115988 7th Oct 2011 8:24 am
Merlin100

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Thanks for that Eyorkshire - SYorkshire here!!
Glad to know its standard and I can now let go of the head rest when cornering ( and not let out a blood-curdling scream when the missus is in the car - already copped it for that!!) Rolling with laughter

Post #115995 7th Oct 2011 9:47 am
taztastic

England 

The steering is very light indeed, although as EY said it is something you get used too and subsequently enjoy.

A couple of times I have plowed into a corner a bit sharpish and had the tyres howling and thought, whoops, centre of gravity a little high for those sorts of things, not helped by the SD4 being flipping quick.

Last weekend on Gravel used the TR and a steering angle display popped up on the dash when turning, as you cannot feel much it is a useful idea although I question it a little as you should be looking at the road or track?

Personally, I have got used to it and prefer it, yes, there is little feedback, but I'm not a racing driver and its not a racing car.

Post #115997 7th Oct 2011 9:59 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Perfectly normal and you will get used to it! I actually quite like the little wobble you can get going on if you dont firmly drip the wheel. Rest assured though the car does handle well, better than expected to be honest so dont panick. Thumbs Up

What it does mean though, any other car you drive now, you will immediatly think the steering is broke! Laughing Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #115998 7th Oct 2011 10:01 am
EYorkshire

mcphersonstrut wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:
I came from an XTrail where you had 'Popeye' arms to keep it straight,

So now you have arms that look like Olive oyls Very Happy

I got bigger 'tits' though Whistle

Post #116000 7th Oct 2011 10:09 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #116003 7th Oct 2011 10:29 am
pressureman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

It's interesting to note that in the 'manual', under health and safety, it states that the LR2 is not designed to corner at the same speed as 'conventional passenger vehicles'. Then again, who wants to be conventional?

Post #116042 7th Oct 2011 4:20 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Agree that the steering is lighter than I expected. I assume your tyre pressures are correct though? Having the rears too high will lighten the steering. Non-standard wheels could also have that effect. Finally, so could the tracking. Keep an eye on the fronts for tyre wear, or if you have a friendly tyre man get him to check it for piece of mind (mine said he could not adjust the tracking himself, but was happy to check it for free - mind you I have put a lot of biz his way).

Post #116153 8th Oct 2011 10:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1