Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 200bhp SD4??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
200bhp SD4??

A friend of mine has an 60 plate SD4 HSE. It has had it a year now and it has always bugged him that it is 187bhp (190PS). "Why not make it 200" he asks.

So in typical Ryan style he starts to mess. But in a way that Land Rover won't throw their toys out of the pram over warranties etc.

So he installed an i6 rear silencer assembly to improve the flow of the exhaust. From my own experience, this does work. Then he looked at the airbox and inlet track.

The airbox has restrictors inside so these were removed and a K&N Panel air filter was fitted. I think he had to trace the airbox to a Ford model to get the filter as he could not find one listed for Freelander 2.

Once this was done, off to a 4 wheel drive rolling road and the result was 197bhp (200PS), still not happy so a switch over to V-Power diesel and a 1000 miles later, on the rolling road again and 201bhp and an additional 6 lb/ft torque. OK, 4bhp from the fuel may seem a little high, but you also ahve to consider temperature changes when doing a rolling road session.

He has actually rang Land Rover and told them what he had done to ensure his warranty is not void. At first they were not too happy until he managed to speak to one of the development engineers. As he had stated that all he had done is improve the breathing and not touched anything else he was told that his warranty will remain intact.

Unless................ He has a failure that is PROVEN to be a consiquence of the changes, which they say is unlikey.

So he is a happy bunny now to have a 200bhp SD4!

I am looking to install the complete SD4 inlet track on to my TD4, it seems to be alot simpler and more direct. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #115688 4th Oct 2011 12:35 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Very interesting. Keep us posted on developments and any supplier part numbers for the bits required Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #115691 4th Oct 2011 12:59 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

like his work!!!!

Post #115695 4th Oct 2011 1:23 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Very interesting to me too. I was wondering if there may be a chance of using a K&N filter. Some years ago, I modified my MGB (now gone) by fitting K&N filters plus a SS exhaust which had a straight-through expansion box and silencer. First of all it ran with hesitation and flat spots. My investigation revealed the SUs were running excessively weak. Clearly the K&Ns and exhaust had cleaned up the airflow so much the carbs needed an upgrade to match. A change to rich needles transformed it! Noticeable power upgrade and plenty of bottom end torque. It would accelerate from 1000 rpm in top gear willingly where previously bottom end power was lacking. More economical too. I never did put it on a rolling road to check, but it certainly felt a lot better. You have now got me thinking! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #115702 4th Oct 2011 2:46 pm
Mav71

All this thought to get it to 200bhp! But then again I can't talk! I am going to put mine on the rollers to see what it is like. But I am going for the SD4 inlet as it does appear alot better. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #115703 4th Oct 2011 2:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i noticed no difference at all when i ran a K&N, its now back in the box waiting on been cleaned and i am using a new LR paper filter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #115707 4th Oct 2011 3:59 pm
alex_pescaru

Is that rolling road properly calibrated?
Which is its error tolerance?
Because 4 bhp at 200 bhp mark, means 2% error, which is pretty normal...

Post #115712 4th Oct 2011 5:13 pm
Mav71

alex_pescaru wrote:
Is that rolling road properly calibrated?
Which is its error tolerance?
Because 4 bhp at 200 bhp mark, means 2% error, which is pretty normal...

I would imagine the rolling road is as accurate as your going to get. I put my Mercedes CLK on the rollers on the same day to see what difference my DTUK tuning box gave.

Without the tuning box, my CLK produced 151bhp, and it is 150bhp standard. So in my eyes it is accurate enough for what we need.

We all know that if you want an exact and 100% accurate figure, then you need to put the engine on a proper dyno and this of course is just not practical.

Rolling roads are a pretty good guide to what your getting, but more importantly, the graphs they give, do accurately
show how the cars power/torque is being delivered. This to me is more important.

Oh, and with the tuning box, my CLK was 184bhp! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #115798 5th Oct 2011 4:19 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Why all the bother when SD has transient overboost which takes you over 200 bhp for a few seconds during acceleration. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #115862 5th Oct 2011 11:50 pm
alex_pescaru

Right, I forgot about that.... The auto ones have this...
Maybe that was it, and the friend thought that it gained it from his modifications...

Post #115865 6th Oct 2011 6:59 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Each to their own, but it seems that finding more BHP in a Freelander is about relevant as trying to improve the ground clearance and off road capability of my Focus RS... Whistle Wink

Personally, I find the "mere" 150bhp on my TD4 to be just about right for the limits of handling available and if anything, I'd like to reduce the BHP figure and attempt to fill the hole in the torque curve beneath 1400rpm that makes it all to easy to stall in stop start traffic...

Post #115867 6th Oct 2011 7:19 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Tigger wrote:
Each to their own, A Focus RS is about relevant as the mud on a potato Whistle Wink

Personally, I find 150bhp on my TD4 to be just about pathetic and I shall be looking at a RRS soon.

Manual gearboxes are easy to stall in stop start traffic when you live in Cornwall and fear machines of any kind

I do agree though squeezing out a few extra bhp in a fl2 does seem a little unneeded At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #115873 6th Oct 2011 8:30 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

After owning a Toyota with 110kW for a long time and various test drives on the TD4, I can assure you that there is a difference with the "modified" SD4. It may seem insignificant to some, but the extra "oomph" you feel when overtaking on a country road with a camper trailer on the back makes a big difference. It's more about confidence I suspect, though this is only attained when the motor delivers what you expect. I did over 720Klm today in wet, hilly country where the roads were very poor. When overtaking opportunities presented themselves there was no time to wonder whether the FL2 had the "Oomph" to get the job done. There were no problems there and a few surprised truckies as well - "What the F??<$% was that!"

Post #115887 6th Oct 2011 11:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1