Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > My Freelander - ideas for offroad improvements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
JJJ

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

Hi Guys,

I suspect it is to clear an exhaust hanger used on the i6 version of the Freelander 2. The exhaust system is very different to that of the diesel, so the guard has been designed to universally fit either model.

See first image on post #26 here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...mp;page=2.

You can just see the hanger in the top right corner of the image. So if you're making your own for a TD4, you could ignore the cutout.

JJJ

Post #124229 19th Dec 2011 9:20 am
Mounty

Liftkit: For the Evoque exist this: http://www.h-r.com/gb/n_news.php?id=654

As the Free 2 is built on the same base would it be possible to fit these? Daniel

Post #127068 11th Jan 2012 8:20 pm
sro

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Good question...if anyone tries this I hope they post the results. Installed a hitch, stock roof rack, mantec skid plates, General Grabbers AT2 255/60/R18, and a rear access ladder. Also made a hitch-mount for the winch. Looking to install a front hitch, rooft-top basket, and lift kit.

Tracking modifications and off-road experiences here: http://sam.odio.com/lr2/

Post #127100 11th Jan 2012 11:42 pm
JJJ

Mounty wrote:

Take great care that you know the SIDE EFFECTS of a spring raising kit - other than raising the car.

Below a report I sent to Orange Tuning - whom I imported a set from - for my VW Tiguan.

Frank,

After a week of driving with the new springs, I have the following to comment:

1. They are well made and beautifully finished.

2. Documentation good (even if printed a bit small – A6), especially the TUV certification inspires confidence.

3. The springs work in terms of providing additional ground clearance, BUT.....

The product advert on your (and other supplier's, e.g. GMP performance) websites claim 30/15mm lift front/rear. On the 2.0 Tdi I could only get 21mm in front and 3mm LR and 7mm RR. Why the left and right should differ I don't know (unless the springs are not the same length or have identical rates), but my L/R measurements with the standard springs prior to installation, were within 1 mm of each other. The car had no occupants or load during both the before and after measurements and the tyre pressures were also all identical – 2.4 bar. I had the installation done by a professional franchised wheel/tyre/suspension shop.

When you read the brochure that comes with the spring set, you will find on Page 2, II, Beschreibung des Teiles/des Anderungsumfanges, the following fine print: Lifting of the body up to about 30/15 mm depending on the vehicle version. This is not the same as stating:H & R VW Tiguan Raising Kit +30/+15mm, as on the internet advertisments and your invoice. If the springs were evaluated by H&R on the 1.4 Tsi, which probably has a lighter engine than the diesel, the 30mm is probably achievable, but the marginal gain at the rear (which is identical on all Tiguan model variants) is not excuseable and neither is it worth the expense. I find the advertisement misleading, as it should clearly state that it may be possible that you will NOT get the advertised clearance and for which models the stated values are valid.

4. The way the suspension raise was achieved (and this is just a comment, not a criticism), was by increasing the spring rates. E.g., the new rear springs are actually 20mm shorter than the original ones (I took them out to check why I did not get the advertised lift) but still lifts the car. In other words, the car now has a rally suspension. In hindsight I should have realised this, taking into account that H & R springs are actually manufactured for the performance/sport/racing market.

5. However, the very much stiffer front suspension does keep the sump guard off the track and you don’t hear any expensive “clunks”, so it is effective. It is just a question of whether your spine will be able to endure this in the long term.

6. The plan is now to devise my own modification with the original springs to see if I cannot come to a better (more pliant) solution, i.e. retain the existing spring rates and just increase the ground clearance by means of spacers. Perhaps other Tiguan drivers will also be interested in this type of (less radical and a lot cheaper) modification.

I would appreciate it if you could pass on my feedback to H & R for their comment.

Best Regards

JJ Jonker

PS Under no circumstances do I hold Orange Tuning responsible for my dissatisfaction with the end result, as I understand that you can only advertise on your website information which the various manufacturers supply you with. I am still pleased, impressed even, with your service (Frank for President!!).

Post #127112 12th Jan 2012 7:38 am
Mounty

How about spacers? Daniel

Post #127816 18th Jan 2012 11:15 am
JJJ

Hi Daniel,

Yes, spacers work.

I have designed and installed a mild lift - 11mm - on the front of my Freelander 2, which is where it is most vulnerable.

Presently there are further developments afoot by Martas in terms of increasing that lift and also a design for rear spacers.

I will let him do his own "announcement" once he is ready.

Johnie

Post #127818 18th Jan 2012 11:35 am
Martas

Czech Republic 

I'm still busy because of school, but hopefuly lift should be finished soon. Spacers was made already, waiting in friend's workshop for sending to me. Longer bolts are prepared too...

I will let you know when done... 

Post #130068 31st Jan 2012 9:51 am
Mounty

Great. Look forward to it! Daniel

Post #130147 1st Feb 2012 10:21 am
Martas

Czech Republic 

Just finish it few days before...

Arrow http://www.freel2.com/forum/post131250.html#131250 

Post #133676 27th Feb 2012 5:00 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Mounty wrote:

As the Free 2 is built on the same base would it be possible to fit these?

There are a number of differences between the chassis used in the Freelander and Evoque, basically the Evoque chassis is different from the front wheels backwards.

Post #133711 27th Feb 2012 7:47 pm
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Today my LR2 received a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires, size 235/65/R17. These will be used only for going offroad, on regular driving I will use the street tires.

So far, up to around 100 km/h the tires seem quite decent. They are noisy only if the radio is off Smile)

Post #137305 22nd Mar 2012 8:19 pm
JJJ

Hi Martin,

Looks the part. Similar to the S-wheels, only with 5 spokes.

Where are the wheels from, and what is the offset?

Post #137414 23rd Mar 2012 5:26 pm
MihaiB

Hi JJJ,

The wheels are Dezent Re, offset is +40. By the way, would negative offset wheels be suitable to install on LR2?

Post #137415 23rd Mar 2012 5:32 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

MihaiB wrote:
Today my LR2 received a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires, size 235/65/R17. These will be used only for going offroad, on regular driving I will use the street tires.

So far, up to around 100 km/h the tires seem quite decent. They are noisy only if the radio is off Smile)

You did well getting the Goodyear MT/R - I tried for several weeks after Christmas, and kept getting the answer none available at any price. Eventually bought two used ones from ebay.
I have run the MT/R all year, great noise, slightly heavier on fuel, better braking than Nissan saloons in the wet Censored , doesn't like white lines on motorways at speed, fantastic in mud as you can imagine. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #137482 24th Mar 2012 4:44 am
MihaiB

Thanks Andy for the info!

The tires I got are produced in February 2011, so they are one year old but unused. I also asked 3-4 suppliers and only one was able to find them, the others said it's not available.

Post #137496 24th Mar 2012 12:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>