« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Interesting tyres in Europe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Interesting tyres in Europe

Just been chatting to my folks who have just got back from a road trip in germany in the camper van. They went with 3 or 4 other vans, and while on there trip 2 of them got punctures which needed replacement tyres. The only issue being that come September you can only buy winter tyres, and they won't just fit one.

So 1 of there friends now has a set of winter tyres on there van as it was the only option. Something to bare in mind while travelling in Europe this time of year so you don't get caught out.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Post #114869 26th Sep 2011 9:17 pm
athelstan

I think your friends may have been victims of a Flim-Flan man.

I asked the German parent of my daughter's school friend this morning and he said I quote: "das ist der grösste Quatsch, den ich je gehört habe." That's a polite way of saying - Bullsh*t."

He said that standard tyres are on sale year round, they may not be on immediate display in every tyre depot but they will certainly be in their stock room. And September is too early for any sensible tyre depot to withdraw standard summer tyres from display.

But, even in Switzerland you'd have a struggle to get a tyre fitter to put just one winter tyre on a vehicle on which the other 3 wheels are summer tyres, or viz-ā-viz. It's a question of professional negligence and liability therefrom.

Post #114898 27th Sep 2011 7:28 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Maybe just another case of brits being ripped of abroad then!

Post #114903 27th Sep 2011 8:31 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't think you can mix winter and normal tyres, say you fitted them to the front drive wheels the back end would be wanting to overtake you all the time

So correct in that aspect, if they only can fit winter tyres, by law come September, then I can see there point that way too

Wonder what they would have done if they were caravan tyres ? Not motorhome Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #114906 27th Sep 2011 8:45 am
athelstan

Caravan-ing in Germany, as it is in Holland is extremely popular and so I don't think that getting tyres for caravan wheels would be a problem. In winter, and that's usually taken to be November to end of March those caravans are not towed around Europe! But I suppose there will be one or two loonies around.

Post #114914 27th Sep 2011 9:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1