« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > tow bar selection help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
houghta

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
tow bar selection help

Hi everyone i hope you can help me, i want to have a tow bar fitted to my fl2 hse 2008 so i can use a Atera STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier i was wanting to get a detachable tow bar so i can remove it when not in use, can anyone advise me if a detachable version will be suitable for the weight of the rack and 4 bikes which will have a total weight in the region of 75kg and could you also recommend a make and model of tow bar to go for as i have never had or used a tow bar before,

cheers
houghta

Post #115408 2nd Oct 2011 10:55 am
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

I have the Witter detachable tow bar and only use it for a cycle rack.

It is very well made and dead easy to use. Plus it looks fairly neat when the tow bar bit is in the boot i.e. most of the time. I recall it is good for 150kg.

I got mine second hand (from this forum) and would totally recommend it.

A good website to learn about towbars etc is www.pfjones.co.uk - sometimes good prices too

Post #115409 2nd Oct 2011 11:09 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I would endorse donny's comments. I fitted a witter detachable from P F Jones with a traditional flange for my bike rack. The bar is good quality and easy to attach and detach and does not require any cutting of the bumper, just a hole behind one of the reflectors. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #115429 2nd Oct 2011 3:07 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

donny wrote:
A good website to learn about towbars etc is www.pfjones.co.uk - sometimes good prices too

+1 for pfjones Smile

Post #115446 2nd Oct 2011 5:02 pm
exmilade

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Guys, thanks for this thread, this is exactly what I have been wondering but been afraid to ask.
One question that the PF Jones website raised: it states BYPASS REQUIRED: YES, what is a bypass then and what does it do?
Cheers
Ade

Post #115492 2nd Oct 2011 8:46 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

its a "bypass relay" - see google for the details

I think all Canbus vehicles need them. The proper LR tow electrics kit will give you all you need but I didn't bother as it was too dear - just fitted the generic bypass relay one and it has been fine for my bike rack

Post #115499 2nd Oct 2011 8:56 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

some info here:
http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/towbar_relays/towing_relays.aspx

Post #115501 2nd Oct 2011 9:00 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've got the witter detachable and had it fitted by PF Jones in Stoke.

I had the canbus wiring rather than a bypass system fitted. I seem to remember it was about £80 more and then LR charged me £50 for setting it up.

Personally I preferred the canbus option, as I tow a caravan and apparently it changes the engine mapping to reflect you're towing, which to me seemed sensible. Also I get the advantage of the parking sensors being turned off and instead of beeping when I indicate I get an extra green light flashing in the dash inconjunction with the indicator light. If the indicator bulb goes the green light stops, and it does work on mine!

They also suggested the Westfalia, but I seem to remeber that required a bumper cut.

Post #115709 4th Oct 2011 4:36 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Chris H wrote:

I had the canbus wiring rather than a bypass system fitted. I seem to remember it was about £80 more and then LR charged me £50 for setting it up.

Personally I preferred the canbus option, as I tow a caravan and apparently it changes the engine mapping to reflect you're towing, which to me seemed sensible. Also I get the advantage of the parking sensors being turned off and instead of beeping when I indicate I get an extra green light flashing in the dash inconjunction with the indicator light. If the indicator bulb goes the green light stops, and it does work on mine!

They also suggested the Westfalia, but I seem to remeber that required a bumper cut.

didn't know it changed the engine mapping as well, that's really clever !!

think this is what I'll go for when I get mine fitted, sounds worth the extra money.

Iain

ps is the canbus option the dedicated wiring setup ?

Post #115710 4th Oct 2011 4:51 pm
houghta

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

thanks for all the advice guys i think i will go for the witter but not quite sure what to do yet regarding the wiring but i think i may well go for the LR supplied option
houghta

Post #115724 4th Oct 2011 6:46 pm
ad210358

England 

Chris H wrote:

Not Convinced on this remapping, it has been mentioned a few times on her and the jury is still out. My view is how can it change the engine mapping for towing, it is actuated by the insertion of the 12N plug but if it changes the engine mapping for towing how can it tell if you are pulling a 2 ton Iffor Williams or a light board on a bike rack Question

Post #115728 4th Oct 2011 7:23 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

ad210358

I agree with you on this, I am still waiting for evidence that the stealer activation alters the drive-ability characteristics, I have the green light on the dash, I turn the parking sensors off with the switch, I have not paid the stealer s a penny for reprogramming. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #115731 4th Oct 2011 7:35 pm
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The changing the engine characteristics is when you inserted the cable into the socket (13pin or 12N). The car does not know what is connected to it, i.e. fully laden trailer/caravan or a bike rack with a single bike.

Iain, Canbus = deidicated wiring

Houghta, I just got whatever PF Jones supplied, it wasn't a landrover kit and it works perfectly well.

Gunfa, Some of us don't have the option to turn parking sensors off Sad

Post #115759 5th Oct 2011 8:51 am
Merlin100

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Jesus - youve all got me worried now. Mine came already fitted with twin electrics so dont know what it is. Going to measure the tow ball later and hope its an Alko so I dont have to splash out £25 for a new one.
Ive got a Coachman VIP 520/4 (about 1.5 tons) but its more like 15 tons by the time the other half has loaded it!
"Whats this dear?" - Portable twin tub.
"And this?" - Portable fridge (full size fridge as standard in caravan)
"This?" - Portable Dryer.
"This?" - Spare Awning (wtf?)

Been towing it with a 52 plate 1.9tdi Galaxy. Was ok apart from setting off - had to set off very slow and hated the time spent on the clutch.
Hoping the 2.2 FL2 will make the difference. Gear differential should be much better too.
Had to give up a hell of a lot of room though - my fishing gear filled the Galaxy completely. Nowhere near that kind of space in the FL2 ( well, doesnt look like it).
Looks a lot better though!!

Post #115999 7th Oct 2011 10:09 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Merlin - If your current one is NFG drop me a PM I have a Alko long neck tow ball and proper protective cover you can have. Used but no problems with it. Took it off when we went to a LR swan neck removable. Free to you but you could send the forum a donation Thumbs Up

Post #116006 7th Oct 2011 10:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>