« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch Slipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Bone

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Rimini Red

Hi All,

Took my 2007 Freelander 2 into Team Valley Land Rover yesterday with clutch slip when changing from 5th-6th gear. Car has 39000 miles on the clock and they have got it authorised no problem at all. Very Happy

Picking car up Monday. Cannot praise their service enough! Gone S383 ABA Freelander 2.0 XEDI Rioja Red
Gone NT02 CUA Freelander 2.0 TD4 ES Blue
Gone ND06 URU Freelander 2.0 TD4 Rimini Red
Gone NA56 VJN Freeelander 2.0 TD4 Black
HERE OE07 JRX Freelander 2.2 TD4 XS Rimini

Post #57607 30th Jan 2010 8:22 pm
Rich1647

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Bone wrote:
Hi All,

Took my 2007 Freelander 2 into Team Valley Land Rover yesterday with clutch slip when changing from 5th-6th gear. Car has 39000 miles on the clock and they have got it authorised no problem at all. Very Happy

Picking car up Monday. Cannot praise their service enough!
Thanks Bone.Glad you're getting looked after by your dealer there.I can at least quote a case like yours now as I prepare to go back to war with Land R over as there is obviously a widespread problem on the early models.Cheers Rich. 2007 GS Manual

Post #57632 31st Jan 2010 10:52 am
Bone

Car still in at Team Valley, cannot fault them they have kept me informed all the the way along.

Car is now getting a new spiggott fitted what ever the hell one of them is Laughing

Cannot wait to get it back though! Gone S383 ABA Freelander 2.0 XEDI Rioja Red

Post #57785 2nd Feb 2010 10:09 am
Rich1647

Thats the bush in the end of the crankshaft that the gearbox slots into.Be interested to know what they found when they took your old clutch out in terms of wear. Sounds like you' ve got a helpful dealer there anyway.Reckon it's worth me making the trip up there to get a bit of decent service. 2007 GS Manual

Post #57792 2nd Feb 2010 10:45 am
kezman50

England 

Out of interest how much work has a dealer got to do in order to assertain if a new clutch is needed ? If it's not obvious from a test drive. So, for example...Bone, did they have to do major strip down work, before they and you knew what the situation was?

Post #57863 2nd Feb 2010 6:40 pm
Bone

Spoke to a very helpful chap called Graham. I told him exactly what was happening, slipping between 5th and 6th gear and it had only happened a couple of times. He booked the vehicle in but on the day it was due to go in he rang me and said that the parts had not arrived and to me that it sounded like they knew of this problem happening before. The reason why I thought this is because I work in a dealer and we would not order parts until we checked the car out.

Anyway, got the car back this morning nice and clean with a nice healthy clutch plate, slave cylinder and and that bush thing.

Cannot commend them enough at Team Valley land Rover. Hope the car does not need to go in again but if anything does go wrong with will go there.

Ps. When I dropped the car off on Friday 29/1/10 there was a lovely G4 Disco out side with DISCO3.CO.UK stickers all over it. Who's is it? Anyone know? Gone S383 ABA Freelander 2.0 XEDI Rioja Red

Post #57976 3rd Feb 2010 12:44 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

My second clutch has now started slipping. 1st one was replaced @ 22K now on 45K and doing the same. Replacement parts obviously no better than original, or is there another fault causing the slip. I noticed last night that there was slip for the 1st couple of times I eccelerated on dual carrigeway during warm up, but for the rest of the journey (50miles) it wouldn't slip. Earlier in the evening had done the same journey otherway and then been parked for a few hours. Just wondering if its an oil leak. - Hot oil after a run leaking for a while. Causing slight slip to start with and is then dissapated by heat etc. There have been a few reports with this engine of a faulty crank seal, also where this peugot engine is used in other vehicles. 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #58759 9th Feb 2010 10:17 am
Rich1647

Thats interesting.I've certainly not noticed any signs of an oil leak so far but gonna try and take note of when it slips now,if it's when it's warm etc. Had another crack at Land Rover last week but they still wont entertain me regarding warranty despite me quoting a number of cases on here.Spoke to four or five dealers all around country who wouldn't really commit themselves and each claim is assessed seperately.Workshop foreman at Lookers Colchester said most likely scenario would be this- I pay £85 for one of their fitters to confirm the clutch is slipping,I then sign form to authorise them to remove clutch/gearbox agreeing to pay in full if clutch is simply worn rather than defective.He says he is 80% sure I would end up with my vehicle on their ramp in pieces with a £700 bill to pay or no vehicle as unless the clutch was obviously defective from new(or I suppose a leaking rear main oil seal),Land Rover would never cover it.I've now wrote a long letter of complaint to Land Rover Customer Relations(don't laugh) but I don't hold out much hope I'm afraid. 2007 GS Manual

Post #58790 9th Feb 2010 4:33 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
slipping clutch

Hi all,ive just been reading through these posts about a slipping clutch with great interest.
I have just noticed that when the engine in mine is under load and excelorating from 2000 rpm and above that the revs seem to rise about 300 rpm quicker than it should then slowly drop back about 300 rpm in 5th and 6th gear.
This does not always happen but a clutch with only 20,000 miles on the clock should not be doing this,could it be that the crankshaft seal behind the fly wheel is leaking oil and that friction on the plates burn it off?
Is there a known fault with the oil seal?
Im just trying to gather as much info before confronting the stealers about the fault as i know what an up hill batle it is with them after my last run in with them over parking sensors.Any help would be very greatfull ragards Darren.

Post #61956 2nd Mar 2010 4:45 pm
Rich1647

Hope you have more joy than me in getting it sorted,as you can see from my other posts,Land Rover have been totally unhelpful throughout.
I now seem to have tried every option in getting this sorted and have had loads of correspondence but it seems unless I'm willing to gamble about £700 in letting them remove the clutch and decide if it's faulty or just worn,I'm pretty much snookered.Absolutely disgusted and have vowed never to give LR another penny of my money and am px ing on another vehicle before the clutch slip becomes too noticeable.
Real shame as I love the car but am appalled at Land Rover's attitude and total indifference to me moving to a different manufacturer.
According to one workshop foreman I spoke to there was a problem with weak clutch springs on some of the earlier vehicles but Land Rover were not admitting to it and he said I would have a next to impossible task trying to prove it as no dealers seem inclined to want to rock the boat with LR.Also it's far easier to get the money from a normal punter whose car is being held ransom than the long winded process of getting money from the manufacturer on a possible warranty claim. 2007 GS Manual

Post #61960 2nd Mar 2010 5:36 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Yes im beginning to see the hardships in owning a landrover.Im just wondering how they can claim its warn under normal wear and tear with such low millage.
Surely if these clutches are warn then there just not fit for purpose and they should replace the parts free of charge.
It seems to me that the clutches need to be redesigned to cope with the job it was intended to do in the first place.What would be the point of building a heavy 4x4 then giving it a weak clutch which after 20 to 30,000 miles needs replacing.I think they have made a massive mastake and are trying to pass the buck which is totaly out of order.We will see what they have to say about it,i think i will go in in person rather than ring them.
Just a thought,is there anywhere a new heavy duty clutch kit can be perchased from as chanking the normal one seems to be sensless.

Post #61989 2nd Mar 2010 7:58 pm
Rich1647

Yes I can't help smiling when the magazines fall through the letterbox showing Land Rovers halfway up mountains and crossing rivers when I've never as much as gone up a big kerb.Even more frustrating when the lady from customer services refuses to discuss what they regard as normal wear and tear as "we're not technically trained" and was unable to let me speak to someone who was.
I seem to remember someone(from abroad I think),advising of a heavy duty clutch kit being available.
Try looking on my original post "Clutch slipping after 25000 careful miles" 2007 GS Manual

Post #62002 2nd Mar 2010 8:47 pm
Carnoch

Disgusting, but not surprising. Any time I've had occasion to speak with LR, they promise the earth, but wash their hands of you thereafter. They are fair weather friends. Just as well we like their product, warts and all or they would have no customers left.

Post #62007 2nd Mar 2010 9:10 pm
kezman50

England 

Hardly ever .....and hard to replicate.....but once in a blue moon I'm getting very subtle clutch slip. Like you guys have said, rises about 300 revs or so with foot down likely to be up incline (under load). Booked in this fri at my local dealer to just see if "they can get it to slip" which I've been assured won't be charged labour for looking!!

My Fl2 has no tow hitch. I'm fairly certain it's never had one. I'm a farmer and we farmers adopt styles of driving that doesn't ride or limits riding a clutch as much as possible (any work invloving tractor and loader for examle) CG would a agree with me on this I'm sure. (this is not to say other members ride their clutches of course)

Anyway my mileage.........12,700! and I first notced slip I believe at about 11,200 when I acquired the vehicle!!!

What do you think my chances are? The scenario of lettng them wip the gearbox out etc to possibly face a bill literally holds you to ransom!!

Last edited by kezman50 on 5th Mar 2010 7:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #62027 2nd Mar 2010 9:57 pm
Rich1647

As a trained mechanic,with a certain amount of Land Rover experience(admittedly a few years ago),I tried to determine exactly what they would describe as normal wear and tear.This got me nowhere as customer services were unable (or unwilling) to let me speak to anyone technically trained.The workshop foreman at the dealers was more helpful but said the final decision would be with Land Rover and in his opinion I was unlikely to win the day.
There are a few posts on here saying clutches have been changed under warranty by dealers with no quibbling at all sorts of mileages but I've contacted all of these dealers and none will put their head on the block and admit to any ongoing problem and tell me each case is to be assessed seperately.
Looking back,the clutch was showing very subtle signs of slipping at a very low mileage(revs rising slightly under heavy load in top gears)but this was very slight and I thought as I'd owned the car from new and have very sympathetic driving style,it must be my imagination.There has never been any indication of leaking rear main oil seal,no oil around gearbox,on floor or any drop in oil level.
The dealers did say that if I'd have been more insistant at a much lower mileage(now on 25k),I'd have been in with a better chance of a result.
Feel really cheated by the whole episode and while I appreciate clutches are a grey area when it comes to warranty,as many people have driving styles which can drastically reduce the life of a clutch,I'm shocked that LR have not even offered a bit of compromise.Perhaps if they offered to go 50/50,it still would be wrong as in my opinion the clutch has worn prematurely,but at least it would have been a bit of a gesture towards good customer relations.I don't suppose they will be particularly bothered about losing my bit of custom but wont give them another penny of my money now out of principle.
I think it's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. 2007 GS Manual

Post #62055 3rd Mar 2010 8:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>