« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Throttle body.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Throttle body.

I had my engine management light come on on Wednesday, bit of a nuisance as my VW T5 is away having a new cam fitted thats not going to be cheap. Not looking at spending money on the Freelander as well.

Anyway I bought a cheap OB11 reader a few months ago from my local Aldi, thought why not plug it in & try to find out whats wrong. Not used one before so had to feel my way with it & eventually it came up with the fault code P02E5. I searched the internet & its the throttle body according to what I found out. I bought a new throttle body & fitted it today.

The old one was about a third closed when I took it off but the new one was wide open. I fitted the new one & did take the old one to bits a little to find out if I had the worn cog problem, cogs were all ok so now I am thinking maybe its something else.

I started the engine & light was still on, thought maybe I have to use the OB11 to reset things, I did that & the light has now gone off even tho the meter said reset fail. I just have this feeling that next time I take the car out the light may come back on. Could anyone advise what else it might be if it does.

Post #372526 24th May 2019 9:36 pm
blueboy

Drove the car about 5 miles this morning & so far light is off. Obviously something else wrong with the throttle body thats faulty.

Post #372544 25th May 2019 8:06 am
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

My throttle body failed but not the gears, motor seams ok but unit did not work. Fitted a new throttle body and all's been OK.

Richard. FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #372586 25th May 2019 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blueboy

Light has stayed off so guess I cured the problem with the new throttle body. Must have been something else wrong with it as all cogs are ok.

Seems smoother when switching off the engine, it used to shudder a bit before.

Post #372611 25th May 2019 11:36 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

A problem with Diesel engines is that given air and enough fuel/oil they can run on with the ignition off. The throttle body doesn’t work like the throttle in a petrol engine as one way of controlling the power output. In our Diesel engine the throttle is wide open while the engine runs and closes when we press the start/stop button, cutting off the air supply ensuring that the fuel/air mixture is not able to sustain combustion. That was not happening if your old throttle body was stuck a third open, hence the shuddering.

Post #372620 26th May 2019 7:55 am
blueboy

Glad you enlightened me what it does BossBob, I was wondering about it. Seemed a lot of oil in the cog bit of the body & oily pipe under it so assume it takes fumes from engine or something as well.

Post #372627 26th May 2019 11:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1