Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lradu

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
New Freelander, new problems

Hello,
So I bought a new for me Freelander 2 2.2, from 2008 with about 125 000 miles
After some research, I found one that had what I wanted sent someone to see it and bought it.

On the way home the check engine appeared and soon the car went in limp mode. The computer had 2 errors P0299 (turbocharger underboost) and P244D (exhaust temperature). After a few inspections the mechanic found that the temperature sensor on the DPF had a bad connection. Easy fix, the errors did not appear any more and no more limp mode. Dodged a bullet I thought.
Also the back suspension strut was out. Changed that.

Thought that was that... but no:
1. Went offroad the other day, first grassy hill stopped me. I have no power going to the back wheels. If I spin the drive shaft the front wheels do nothing... so I guess the front dif (PTU) is out Sad also, the mechanic has seen that the back dif looks to be changed recently. Any thoughts ? Why would both the front and back dif malfunction? Is there any way to check if the haldex unit is ok? Should I go for a repair of the front dif or get a new one?

2. I feel that sometimes the car goes a little low on power. I have felt this a few times while in traffic, did also some tests and when the car is ok I do about 11 seconds in 4th from 40mph (60kmh) to 75(120kmh), and when the car feels slow the same test 15 seconds? Went for a test on the highway, i kept the car at over 2500-3000 rpm in a attempt to clean the dpf, the car fell normal there. It is only when pushing on city driving I feel this lack of power.
I was thinking maybe to go and try to clean the dpf and cat, and maybe change the fuel filter ?
Any ideas?
I really am thinking of selling the car ... I bought it because the old 2004 freelander kept breaking on me, I don't want to go back to that Sad

Post #372077 14th May 2019 6:56 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I’d start with the fuel and air filters first. Does a 2008 model have dpf? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #372079 14th May 2019 7:39 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No I don’t think it does.

Post #372081 15th May 2019 5:42 am
Lradu

Unfortunately it does have. From what I understand UK models did not get it until later, but since this is a continental Europe model it does have it. I am sure because I already had some issues with limp mode from it 🤣.

The car is now at the Land Rover dealer for a diagnostics...

Post #372083 15th May 2019 6:56 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

How weird wonder if it’s because of European legislation ?

Post #372084 15th May 2019 7:01 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

DPFs only introduced in 2011 facelift in UK, there were also changes to the engine. Does your air intake pipe have the "organ pipes" on it? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #372128 16th May 2019 9:20 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Have you checked that the turbo underpower code has not reappeared? I’m no expert, but I would expect that your original turbo code might not have been related to the DPF issue and also might not result in a check-engine light and limp mode. Split turbo hoses seem to be relatively common issue on older engines here (but a relatively easy fix) and yours might have a very slight leak on full power, which might also be temperature related (ie the leak only apparent when the hose gets softer at higher temperatures). 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #372214 18th May 2019 10:21 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I wonder if the previous owner changed the "noisy" rear diff/haldex when it was the front transfer box that was failing?

I had a similar problem for months (noisy transmission), then a loud bang and the noise disappeared, the only difference was a tendency to spin the front wheels when setting off spiritedly. Turns out the splined coupling between the gearbox and the transfer box had failed. All it required was a new coupling and a transfer box from Bell Engineering, not a massive job, just made more difficult by doing it twice (once to find out what had gone wrong, then rebuild ready for work Monday, then do the job again when the new parts had arrived.)

Loss of power and intermittent turbo codes could be either intercooler failure or more likely the hose between the turbo and intercooler has a small split - either can usually be spotted by a slight oil leak where no oil should ever be. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372220 18th May 2019 11:44 am
Lradu

Worms wrote:
Have you checked that the turbo underpower code has not reappeared? I’m no expert, but I would expect that your original turbo code might not have been related to the DPF issue and also might not result in a check-engine light and limp mode. Split turbo hoses seem to be relatively common issue on older engines here (but a relatively easy fix) and yours might have a very slight leak on full power, which might also be temperature related (ie the leak only apparent when the hose gets softer at higher temperatures).

There are no new codes on the car since fixing the temperature sensor. That was 2 weeks ago. The guy that worked on it says the 2 errors may have been related.

After a day at the dealer where they have done a few tests, including 2 road tests the conclusion was: " your car has no issues " Rolling Eyes

I have been on a 500km(300miles) road trip, and on the open road the car feels ok. But I do feel sometimes the slight loss of power, not so much as in the city dough.
But, after the trip I am now thinking also that it might be a turbo hose leak, or maybe vacuum leak?

@Andy131 there might be a big chance that was what happened, and maybe be got mad and sold the car... or I was also thinking he used wrong tyres and broke both of them?
I am 99% sure I have the same issue you had.
I have been to a shop that fixes transfer boxes, but they could not find spare parts, only a new transfer box: 2000€+vat ... that is obviously ridiculous since its 1/3 what the car is worth Shocked

I am now looking for other options. But I do have to fix both issues fast since I bought this car so I can tow my boat, and with no 4x4 and lack of power there is no way I can get it out of the lake

Post #372256 19th May 2019 10:17 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

For transmission related items especially the transfer box contact bell engineering, a reconditioned box - better than original is around £600 including VAT

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

I appreciate that you are in Europe (big place Shocked ) but Austin is a decent sort, give him a ring. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372258 19th May 2019 10:39 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: New Freelander, new problems

Lradu wrote:
If I spin the drive shaft the front wheels do nothing... so I guess the front dif (PTU) is out (

yes , sounds like the splines in the PTU have stripped so no drive through to the prop shaft Jules

Post #372297 19th May 2019 9:23 pm
DarrenW

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

This is exactly what has happened to mine.
If you put the car in gear and can turn the prop shaft then the PTU spline has stripped so no power will be going to the rear.
Diagnosed with method by Bell engineering. It’s a £1000 I won’t be spending it will see it’s life out as a 2wd MY06 FL1 TD4 2 door red (gone)
MY07 FL2 SE TD4 black (gone)
MY13 FL2 GS TD4 Santorini black

Post #372332 20th May 2019 5:54 pm
Lradu

@Andy131 i have seen bell engineering's website, but because i am not from the UK shipping is a issue, and i am looking at the moment for local solutions, the best one so far is a second hand one, that is about £500 ... also found a company that can fix it, but they can not fine the parts ...

On the other hand, the other problem with the loss of power is really bugging me... i can not find out what the problem is. All the turbo hoses look to be fine, no leaks that I, or the mechanic can see. And he also thinks that if there will be a broken hose the problem will be persistent, and also appear on the tester.

We did find something suspicious, there is a option on the tester to show distance since last successful regeneration: 5800km ... ? is there a special regeneration that need to be done except the one that the car does ? Because from what i understand the car needs to regen at about 800km?
Could it be a clogged up DPF that generates this problem ? But if that is the case, i understand the car reads this kinds of problems and i should get a "DPG FULL" message ?

Post #372516 24th May 2019 5:13 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Intermittent sticking Turbo actiuator arm? It does happen if not kept lubricated....that said, it should throw a DTC along the lines of value between boost and XXX lower/Solenoid fault... MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372517 24th May 2019 5:47 pm
Mowog

Lradu wrote:
@Andy131 i have seen bell engineering's website, but because i am not from the UK shipping is a issue, and i am looking at the moment for local solutions, the best one so far is a second hand one, that is about £500 ... also found a company that can fix it, but they can not fine the parts ...

On the other hand, the other problem with the loss of power is really bugging me... i can not find out what the problem is. All the turbo hoses look to be fine, no leaks that I, or the mechanic can see. And he also thinks that if there will be a broken hose the problem will be persistent, and also appear on the tester.

We did find something suspicious, there is a option on the tester to show distance since last successful regeneration: 5800km ... ? is there a special regeneration that need to be done except the one that the car does ? Because from what i understand the car needs to regen at about 800km?
Could it be a clogged up DPF that generates this problem ? But if that is the case, i understand the car reads this kinds of problems and i should get a "DPG FULL" message ?

SHIPPING IS NOT A PROBLEM

Look at website Parcel2go.com

Then you could also contact courier direct in your country , whichever that is .

Best choice would be UPS.. United Parcel Service......

But also DPD......TNT........

Depending of course on your location, but it's not a problem to send or receive shipments.

Post #372554 25th May 2019 8:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1