Last edited by Suckfish on 13th May 2019 9:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #372017 13th May 2019 7:39 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

You could buy a nice FL2 for that kind of money Wink Thumbs Up

Post #372019 13th May 2019 7:49 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

And with half the mileage Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #372023 13th May 2019 9:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

2.2 engine DS

would that be the DS that doesn't inject masses of fuel into the exhaust to burn out the soot. The one that doesn't eat balance shafts, the one that doesn't use a litre of adblue every thousand miles, the one that doesn't require major surgery when the timing chain requires work (chain at wrong end of engine next to flywheel). The one with an engine that should last 200k+

Bargain, especially if it is a 5 seat version with a spare wheel. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372033 14th May 2019 5:49 am
Mowog

A beauty Rolling with laughter

Post #372087 15th May 2019 8:12 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Andy131 wrote:

would that be the DS that doesn't inject masses of fuel into the exhaust to burn out the soot. The one that doesn't eat balance shafts, the one that doesn't use a litre of adblue every thousand miles, the one that doesn't require major surgery when the timing chain requires work (chain at wrong end of engine next to flywheel). .

This neatly sums up my reasons for never buying a diesel DS. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #372130 16th May 2019 9:26 am
Suckfish

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

The one in the advert is the 2.2, so perhaps that's the one to go for.

However in a few years will be banned like the rest of us from driving into any city.
However unlike the 2.0 at least the car will still be going and has not eaten its way through the balance shafts.

Does anyone know if the DS 2.2 manual has a better geared reverse gear?

Post #372133 16th May 2019 9:33 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Another reason not to buy one is the RFL rip off the government introduced on cars over £40k for the first 5 years. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Last edited by Milothedog on 16th May 2019 10:00 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #372134 16th May 2019 9:44 am
Mowog

Suckfish wrote:
The one in the advert is the 2.2, so perhaps that's the one to go for.

However in a few years will be banned like the rest of us from driving into any city.
However unlike the 2.0 at least the car will still be going and has not eaten its way through the balance shafts.

Does anyone know if the DS 2.2 manual has a better geared reverse gear?

Driving into any city.........................now that IS something I will miss...................

Post #372136 16th May 2019 9:55 am
j77

Scotland 

Andy131 wrote:
2.2 engine DS

would that be the DS that doesn't inject masses of fuel into the exhaust to burn out the soot. The one that doesn't eat balance shafts, the one that doesn't use a litre of adblue every thousand miles, the one that doesn't require major surgery when the timing chain requires work (chain at wrong end of engine next to flywheel). The one with an engine that should last 200k+

Bargain, especially if it is a 5 seat version with a spare wheel.

2.2 a good engine.

The one that many on here told me I was mad to get in a new car, with the new engine just around the corner, the new engine that would give exceptional MPG and be smoother and quieter Rolling with laughter ingenium or incompetent whatever you want to call it. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #372169 17th May 2019 1:14 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

The latter I think......incompetent. Rolling with laughter Granted it's quieter, but brothers DS fares no better on economy than my rattly old Euro 5 PSA Tractor engine.......

I know who in the family has the more capable Land Rover all round, and so does he... Laughing MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372170 17th May 2019 1:23 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

j77 wrote:
Andy131 wrote:
2.2 engine DS

Bargain, especially if it is a 5 seat version with a spare wheel.

2.2 a good engine.

The one that many on here told me I was mad to get in a new car, with the new engine just around the corner, the new engine that would give exceptional MPG and be smoother and quieter Rolling with laughter ingenium or incompetent whatever you want to call it.

Just before the F-Pace was launched we test drove the demo with a view to ordering a 2L Auto, we had driven literally 50 yards from the main dealer when we stopped looked at each other and wondered what was wrong, we turned around went back and chatted to the salesman about the god awful noise the engine was making, he said well it is only the 2 litre 4 cylinder so it will be noisy Shocked we told him we had arrived in our two and a half year old Audi Q3 which also had a 2 litre 4 cylinder and was almost inaudible inside the cabin where as the F-Pace had actually made us stop and worry there was something wrong, it really was an awful engine, his answer to our moaning was “well why don’t you try the 3 litre, it’s much quieter” Censored

I know it was very early days for the Ingenium, but hells bells it was cr@p! Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372174 17th May 2019 4:16 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

See I think that the ignium engine is quieter than our 2.2 FL2 - then again it did have full mud terrain tyres on Very Happy
And it definitely gives much better fuel economy 28 vs 37mpg - could the 9 speed gearbox help?

I bought the last of the Rover engined FL1, the newer version had already come out, but I didn't fancy being a guinea pig for the new BMW engined version. Big mistake, what I (and others) didn't realise is that LR had "fixed" the ratio problem with the IRD unit, that caused the transmission to self destruct at about 120k and chew through tyres every 15k.

Point is you can be caught out by buying into the first of the new technology, and you can be caught out by staying with the same old cr*p. Bit of a lottery really.

I went for the ignium because we had a Ewok with 2.2 engine and 9 speed box and it was the worst car I have ever owned, to the point where, if this engine only lasts 100k and I have to drop another one in to get me to the 200k, then it will still be money well spent. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372178 17th May 2019 4:50 pm
j77

Scotland 

I have the 2.0 240 in my Velar, it’s plenty quick enough but it’s gruff at times. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #372179 17th May 2019 5:48 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

DiL has the same engine (240) in her new D5 and it’s a completely different engine to the previous in her DS models, the first DS had the 2.2 and the car had continuous electrical issues, engine fine though, then two more but with the Ingenium engine and although the electrical issues had by then been sorted and reliable the engine in the second DS was awful but in the third DS it was fine. Took LR a while to finally sort the Ingenium out. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372195 18th May 2019 6:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>