sova287

Slovakia 

the engine stop quickly and quietly when I turn off
Thanks for answer Thumbs Up

Post #368928 25th Mar 2019 10:09 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

bxzx16v wrote:
I've had two throttle bodies replaced on two Fl2's , both were calibrated by the Landrover tech I use .

Mark

Interesting comment here on calibration. There is a debate on one of the threads on this forum about this. Most people have just replaced the throttle body but there seems to be a view that it should be set up properly presumably to stop the motor trying to drive past the end points and screw up the plastic gears. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto no real problems
FL2 S 08 reg 100k no problems
FL2 S 10 reg Gearbox, clutch, throttle body, drive shaft, steering reservoir
FL2 GS 60 reg xfer box, diff and wheel bearings
FL2 GS 11 reg gearbox ,hesitation, exhaust sensors, wiper stalk,
FL2 XS 14 reg SD4 Auto , door lock problem @ 29k

Post #368932 25th Mar 2019 10:46 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I'll check why the throttle body has to be calibrated later as the cars in for a service.

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE

Post #368960 25th Mar 2019 6:33 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I've been told that it's not essential to calibrate the throttle body as it will find it's own position . Calibrating syncs it with the Egr .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE

Post #369062 26th Mar 2019 5:23 pm
C_M

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Thanks to all your help I have also fixed this problem. I thought I'd share my experience of the OBD2 scanner I purchased in order to identify the code and clear the engine fault light. Also I thought you'd be interested to know about the oem part that is identical to the LR part but at around half the cost.

So, the amber engine fault light lit up on my 2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4. Rather than pay the garage circa £50 to read the fault code I thought I'd take a chance on doing it myself by investing in an OBD2 reader.

After reading lots of reviews I selected the NEXPEAK NX501 as it offered a good balance of performance against cost. I knew and am quite happy that it does not access additional CAN bus modules such as the airbag module, and it will not decipher specific Land Rover codes (you need to look these up).

The unit is well packed and comes with a nice bag which holds the scanner, leads and manual.

The first thing to do is update the firmware, this was straightforward on my Windows 10 laptop. Download the the latest version from the Download Centre (https://www.nexpeaktech.com/service/Download-Center.html) and attach the scanner whilst pressing the 'OK' button. Follow the couple of instructions and the update is done!

Now to business. Connect the scanner to the car's OBD2 socket (located to the right of the steering wheel under the dash) and start the engine. The scanner springs to life.

Then I followed the instructions to read the codes (in my case it showed 'P02E1 - not in database') and a quick Google to this Forum (hurrah!) identified this to be the 'Diesel Intake Air Flow Performance', as you know a common fault which requires a replacement throttle body. As it was an intermittent fault I used the scanner to clear the fault resulting in the warning light turning off.

I obtained a new oem throttle body for £89 via a eBay (Pierburg part number 7.01002.09.0, LR012598) and followed a simple video fitting guide found on YouTube. Job took about an hour.

You can see in the photos that the part numbers stamped on the throttle bodies are (almost) the same. For some reason part of one of the numbers on the oem body has been scratched out, I don't know why this is the case. The Pierburg box was security sealed and so this is definitely how it was supplied to the seller. Note that the throttle body is used by many vehicle manufacturers so the important number is '7.01002.09.0'.

Success! Total outlay £59 (scanner) and £89 (throttle body), and I've the scanner to diagnose future faults. The Main Dealer cost would have been £77 to read the code, and £373 to supply and fit the LR boxed part. This would also have included calibration which I would love to know more about.

Total saving £302!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #372112 15th May 2019 8:46 pm
Tinytim

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Just changed the throttle body today, quite a nice simple job and all done in about half an hour.
A good set of t handle torx makes for easy bolt access.
Only unexpected find was the mess left from a mouse getting under the engine cover, never had to vacuum an engine before

Post #372278 19th May 2019 5:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 9 <123456789