Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Cambelt change advice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 

Thanks for the replies, Mikey do you recommend any particular OEM kit, being in Cyprus I don't trust the supplies out here so need to order from uk my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #372005 13th May 2019 3:45 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Does anyone have the latest service schedule giving the reduced SD4 cambelt interval? my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #378191 11th Sep 2019 10:37 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Thumbs Up

Post #378199 11th Sep 2019 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dartman the one

England 

Thanks Mikey my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #378218 11th Sep 2019 7:36 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Mikey wrote:

Thumbs Up

Mikey, are you sure that’s not the Discovery V6 diesel. I can’t find to find that sheet anywhere. When I was looking to buy one, I seem to remember the belt on those was a 7 year service item. Where did you get it from? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #378576 20th Sep 2019 2:37 pm
Mikey

Topix Thumbs Up

D3/4/L405/494/Velar are all 7 years too Thumbs Up

Post #378590 20th Sep 2019 7:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Just as a side note for the 2.2 engine timing belt changes.
The bottom crankshaft sprocket does have a keyway, but it is larger than the key, meaning when you undo the bottom pulley you upset the timing. This can be as much as a half a tooth either way.
If you don't follow the correct procedure which involves removing the starter & locking the flywheel in the correct place (along with the cam sprocket) your valve timing can be quite a way out.

You can get away with it if you are lucky, but the engine isn't as efficient, or go as well as when it's correct.

regards
Steve

Post #378971 28th Sep 2019 4:14 pm
grod

Australia 

I did mine (2.2 MY11) at 150k klms with the Gates kit that came with the water pump and tensioner. The locking pins are reasonably cheap and I wouldn't attempt the change without them. The crank bolt was a mother to get off and I had to get myself a good quality socket and breaker bar to do the job after my cheap set croaked it on the first attempt.

The belt itself looked fine but you never can tell.

The Gates kit came with comprehensive instructions.

g

Post #378972 28th Sep 2019 4:53 pm
Mikey

To echo what Steve said ^

Done a belt on Thursday, 57 reg, 120k miles. Starter out, locked flywheel, couldn't get the cam tool in, as the belt had stretched that much

Once the crank pulley was off, the cam could be turned enough to get the pin into place Thumbs Up

Post #378980 28th Sep 2019 5:58 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Did mine on my Evoque yesterday. Posted this on the Evoque forum. Bloody keyway gave me bother - if Steve had posted a day earlier it would have saved me plenty o' time! Should apply to SD4 FL2’s.

Well, I finally got round to replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2012 SD4 2.2. With just 58,000 on the clock but with it being just over 7 years old, according to the new recommendations it was due for replacement. I bought a complete Gates kit which included belt, pulley, tensioner, pump and a new crank pulley nut. I also fitted a new drive belt and changed the antifreeze. I’ve been in the trade for many years and done well over a hundred cam belts changes but this one was a bit of a faff! Plenty of 'how to's' on the net so I won’t bother with another one but a few things to observe. The only special tools needed are a cam and crank timing pin (although I used the trade approved method of drill bits lol) and a crank locking tool - with the starter removed (which you must do to gain access to the timing pin hoke in the block) it’s an adjustable universal tool to engage in the ring gear teeth. It is needed to remove/tighten the crank pulley nut which must be tightened to 70Nm + 62°-80° depending on what book you are looking in. I did mine 90° to be sure. The new nut comes with locktite already on it.

Firstly, I thought it would be straightforward, what with the crankshaft having a woodruff key but it’s not that simple. The keyway in the crankshaft belt pulley and the crank damper are almost twice the width of the thickness of the key itself so it is in no way a perfect fit. Almost one full tooth's play from side to side. At first I thought that the pulley bolt had come loose and the back and forth movement of the pulleys had worn the keyway slot but the crankshaft reluctor disc was the same size. Reading up, I found this was normal.

When removing the engine mounting bracket from the block, there are 4 x 16mm head bolts, 1 x 18mm head bolts and one external torx head bolt. DO NOT COMPLETELY REMOVE THE TORX HEAD BOLT. Just loosen this bolt a few turns as it’s in a ‘U’ shaped recess and the bracket will lift up and out when the other bolts are removed. The reason for not removing this is that it is that the torx bolt goes through the timing belt jockey pulley. I heard a 'ping' when I removed it and realised what I had done. After removing the bracket I refitted the bolt and wedged a wheel nut between it and the belt to keep things together.

Click image to enlarge

What completely stumped me was that in all the books, online manuals and even the instructions that came with the belt kit, it shows how to put a locking pin into the flywheel to set up the timing. I just couldn’t find the hole in my flywheel. It was doing my brain in and I spent near on a couple of hours looking things up on the net to see what I was doing wrong. Annoyingly, my mate came round my garage for a cuppa while I was doing this and this mate knows zilch about cars - he has trouble opening his car bonnet and would struggle to top up the windscreen washers. He sussed out what I was doing wrong as soon as I told him what I was struggling with! Because of the 'play' in the crank belt pulley (which I had marked with tippex before removing the belt), that equated to an inch of movement at the flywheel and the bloody timing pin hole I was looking for was out of sight further round the flywheel. Once I found that it was plain sailing.

One other thing - the crank bolt is tight all the way out due to the locktite used. I have an air impact gun and it was hard work with that. I can imagine that undoing it by hand would give your arm a workout and I do mean a good workout!

A very fiddly, bitty job and these days I have no patience whatsoever when working on cars and even less when working on my own.

The belt, pump, pulley and tensioner that came off - all bloody perfect but you can’t take the chance, can you? Rolling Eyes Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #378998 29th Sep 2019 8:02 am
Mikey

FYI, the engine mount doesn't have to come off

Remove belt, undo torx bolt, and the pulley drops out the bottom Whistle

Post #379010 29th Sep 2019 10:35 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Thanks Mikey - I realised that after but until I’m familiar with things, I like to get as much stuff out of the way when doing it. I’ll remember that for next time. Actually I won’t because there won’t be a next time! Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #379011 29th Sep 2019 10:51 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I had trouble fitting the long pin in the flywheel hole, It was made easier by using one of those mirror tools to line the pin with the hole.

The use of a Torque Multiplier makes undoing the Crankshaft Bolt very very easy.

Don't know if it was luck or even if it really matters but on replacing the belt the crank key sat in the middle of the cut out. I had read a couple of differing articles as to where it should sit.

I did have a problem setting the tensioner on my own so had to have a hand for that.

Post #379012 29th Sep 2019 10:59 am
grod

Australia 

Live and learn

The use of a Torque Multiplier makes undoing the Crankshaft Bolt very very easy.

g

Post #379038 29th Sep 2019 4:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12