« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Prop Shaft Play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rockhead_Rumple

Prop Shaft Play

Hi,

I have been attempting to chase down the source of a vibration above 60mph, following 4 wheel balancing but with no improvement.

Up on the ramps it went, and I had a good poke around. Driveshafts all look good, rock solid with no play.

However the propshaft definitely has play between the 2 longer sections (model is an auto so has a 3 piece shaft). If you grab the two sections either side of the central brace, you can slightly rotate one without the other moving, with an accompanying audible clunk.

Could this be the source of my wobble, or is there supposed to be play between propshaft sections (I highly doubt it!).

The rear diff bearing was done around 9 months ago, and the vibration has been around since then. Perhaps the knackered bearing also caused the propshaft joints to wear?

All experience/advice appreciated, before I take the plunge on a replacement prop shaft.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the propshaft and run effectively 2 wheel drive without the FL2 throwing a wobbly? If so, might do it to confirm my hunch.

Thanks

Post #371902 11th May 2019 8:35 pm
Tigertim

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi I also have a 2007 auto with a vibration but mine occurs at 1800 rpm mainly in gears 4,5and 6. Been trying to track down where it comes from for a year now and still no further on. Mine is somewhere from the front probably gearbox or transfer box but to answer your question I too have the same play in the prop there is a definite clunk if you hold each piece and turn them opposite. I took prop completely off and drove round for a week but my vibration was still there so ruled out the prop and diff you don’t get any warning lights it just might slip a bit if you are pulling out quick in the wet . Changed both front driveshafts too still made no difference so before you go buy a prop I would take it off and run around for a while see if it changes anything . Vibrations in these are incredibly difficult to pinpoint if you read mine and many others posts you will know what I mean . The fact you had yours since diff replaced could be worth checking what was removed/replaced etc

Post #371938 12th May 2019 6:09 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Or find a decent repairer with a set of Steelman's (wireless chassis ears) MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #371942 12th May 2019 6:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1