Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Post fluid change effect...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Post fluid change effect...

My FL2 is in for it's first engine oil/filter change following the exchange engine installation 2,000 miles ago.

That engine failure came out of the blue and had to take priority on the denting of my bank balance, so I delayed until today getting the other fluids changed out as well... as far as I know they've never been changed (116K miles)

I don't doubt for a millisecond that the fluids changes needed doing, I'm just a little curious to know what difference (if any) I might notice, especially with the car's gearbox and Haldex fluids changed... Quieter running perhaps? Smoother gear changes? Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #371401 3rd May 2019 1:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Main benefit of changing the oils at 60-70k is not having to replace the gearbox / diff / haldex / transfer box at 150k.

And I am not talking about any one of them I am talking about all of them.
Easy enough to drill the diff and fit a 12mm Allen bolt as a drain plug, as sucking out the oil doesn't get the metal particles that sit in the bottom. Same problem with the transfer box. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #371453 4th May 2019 10:38 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I’ve changed the auto transmission fluid and the Haldex oil and filter on my 2012 Evoque. Noticed no difference whatsoever afterwards as it was just preventative and carried out around the 50k mark. I’ve got a M14x1.5 magnetic drain plug coming next week and I’m going to drill and tap the rear axle and change that oil too. Is there a 'how to' anywhere on the location to tap the transfer box? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #371457 4th May 2019 12:31 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The Missus reckons it’s now noticeably quieter in the cruise than before, not sure myself but she was driving it more than I was before... still, I’m happier knowing it’s done ...

... unfortunately what we do agree on is that when we closed all the windows to have a listen to it in the cruise, we both immediately agreed that we have exhaust fumes seeping inside the car... we thought so before the garage trip this week, and after a good few miles with windows open/closed the fumes weren’t clearing, so we swapped cars and the FL2 is grounded.

Of course this is nothing to do with the fluid change in the gearbox/Haldex... it’s just had an exchange engine and something isn’t right there I suspect...

It’s a blinking nuisance though... I don’t need the big boot or towbar this week, so I’ll just have to use our XK8 instead while the FL2 joins the queue again at the garage ... what a terrible shame!!... Cool Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #371499 5th May 2019 8:38 am
Badger51

Australia 

Entered in error. Embarassed (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #371516 5th May 2019 12:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1