« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Terrain Response retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peppino.1962

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Santorini Black
Terrain Response retrofit

Hello everyone. I write from Italy. Sorry for my bad English. I hope to make myself understood.
I have recently joined this forum which I consider excellent, for content and quality of discussions.
I met this forum thanks to another Italian friend who told me about the changes made to the Free IPC, up until 2009, by a software wizard, Alex Pescaru and other people whose name I can't remember. Changes that many have already made on their Free.

I come to the point.
I am one of the few unfortunate owners of Free without TR (Terrain Response).
I know that I will attract the hilarity of many about its real use and I state that I have already read everything that has already been discussed in this forum. In truth, there is very little useful, and in many cases the information is misleading. In any case, this has become a challenge for me.

I will bring my case to your knowledge. I have investigated and studied (for the little that can be found on the net and from information provided by LR mechanics). But I think I have reached a good point. I miss the final step. This is an uncertainty that could only be clarified by some members who, I noted, are particularly informed about the knowledge of firmware with the .VBF extension.

Well, I immediately specify that it is not enough to install and code the ATCM module (the switch with the wheel). In my case some changes have been made to adapt the hardware to the software. It was necessary (according to LR technicians) to also replace the Haldex module. But it still cannot work because an essential element that is absent is still missing: the ABS.

The ABS contains PROM memories (which can be written only once). In all Free units, during their configuration, the VIN of the car on which they are installed is written. The problem is that, while all the other control units can be configured more than once, for the ABS, once written with the Free VIN, it cannot be reprogrammed. Therefore it is not possible to replace a damaged ABS with one disassembled from a donor vehicle.

Why is ABS guilty of Terrain Response failing? Because its software stored in the PROM does not contain it. So, theoretically, there are two firmware: one that has the TR and one that doesn't.
From the dtc displayed both with IIDTOOL and with SDD, it can be seen that the ABS module has a configuration incompatible with the rest of the system.

So we should change the ABS module, with a new and "virgin" one, that is with an unwritten memory.
I did some research and borrowed my nephew's Free, same MY2010, but with the TR. I discovered that the software and the hardware have identical identifying codes, both for the ABS and for the ATCM, the same for BCM and PCM.
This sent me into a panic.

I wondered: if I changed the ABS module and rewrote it with the same firmware, could I have a Free again without TR? Is it possible that with the same firmware you have two different functions? Is the configuration adaptive with reference to the other modules with which it communicates?
This is my doubt.

And these are the errors that appear on the display. Note that for a few seconds the TR works, then it is deactivated. While giving me a fault code on the HDC.

Then the TR is reactivated and after a few seconds it is deactivated.
I hope someone can help me, at least to understand what to do.

Thank you all.

P.S. - I can't upload photos. If anyone can help me.

Post #370775 25th Apr 2019 3:56 am
nvros

Russia 

Тоже поставил модуль TR, но не могу его настроить вываливаются ошибки. Буду следить за темой может кто подскажет как решить

Post #391719 28th May 2020 1:24 pm
Peppino.1962

Well, dear friends. After doing the TR activation work, I no longer wrote. In fact I managed to activate it and it still works perfectly.
For those unfamiliar with the procedure, you must:
1- replace the ABS pump with a new one (no used by donor car) and never initialized with SDD.
2- install the terrain response module
3- connect SDD to the OBD port, start the program and modify the CCF first, activating the TR function, and then proceed to install the firware of the new ABS with the automatic function. I used SDD 138, I don't know if it's possible with the newer ones.

Well, terrain response works now.

Post #391736 28th May 2020 7:10 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

theres an easy way to get all extras on a freelander,buy a hse spec car Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter ibet "aveling"agrees with me Laughing

Post #391737 28th May 2020 7:34 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

That does seem like an awful lot of work, well done for persevering and completing it, Id have sold it and bought one with it fitted at the factory! Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #391740 28th May 2020 7:59 pm
nvros

Russia 

Peppino.1962 wrote:
Well, dear friends. After doing the TR activation work, I no longer wrote. In fact I managed to activate it and it still works perfectly.
For those unfamiliar with the procedure, you must:
1- replace the ABS pump with a new one (no used by donor car) and never initialized with SDD.
2- install the terrain response module
3- connect SDD to the OBD port, start the program and modify the CCF first, activating the TR function, and then proceed to install the firware of the new ABS with the automatic function. I used SDD 138, I don't know if it's possible with the newer ones.

Well, terrain response works now.

А без замены ABS pump, ни как не сделать? А то цена его уж слишком велика

Post #391750 29th May 2020 1:54 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

@nvos

Maybe you can take the chip out of the ABS module and reprogram the chip directly. This is common for the TFT dash swap on the Disco4. Have a look on http://lr-club.com/

Post #391758 29th May 2020 7:31 am
Peppino.1962

I answer to "nvros": the ABS pump was new from the factory and, after installing the firmware, it always worked correctly. It is clear that the brake oil was also changed and the bleeding was done correctly.

I answer @nvos: yes it is true, it is possible to delete the PROM memory, but the work, carried out by a specialized company, had a cost slightly less than that of the new ABS pump, which I bought in the UK at a price that I could not refuse: 350 euros.

Post #391764 29th May 2020 9:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1