Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Auto Gearbox Oil Change TD4 MY07-12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 21 <123 ... 91011 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
SHARKYSHARKS

Just flushed mine on a 2012 Freelander SD4 using a 12 volt pump off eBay in which I disconnected the top hose from the oil cooler connected some plastic air line pipe and as the engine was running pumping the old oil out I pumped in the new through the top oil cooler spigot 😀
I had a container marked up to 7 litres and when the old oil hit the mark I stopped and at that time the oil was starting to change colour 👍

Be careful on checking the flow as there is a diagram on here showing flow route which I found to be incorrect the oil goes out of the top pipe and into the oil cooler 👍

Hardest bit was removing the connector off the oil cooler pipe which I as I found out you slide the connector towards the engine while pressing Rolling Eyes

Here’s the pump I used

And oil

The difference to the drive now is amazing 😁 MY18 D5 HSE LUX 😎
MY12 FL2 SD4 HSE
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex D2
Ex D1
Ex FREELANDER 1

Post #370556 20th Apr 2019 1:03 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Looks good.
Would you care to elaborate some more on your technique used.
I've a similar pump to that which I used to change the rear diff oil last week.
Seems easier to do than the dump and fill method so far favoured.

Post #370558 20th Apr 2019 1:13 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Thanks for posting , mines due a change soon Thumbs Up .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #370559 20th Apr 2019 1:44 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

Aveling wrote:
Looks good.
Would you care to elaborate some more on your technique used.
I've a similar pump to that which I used to change the rear diff oil last week.
Seems easier to do than the dump and fill method so far favoured.

It’s not that difficult really

1 Get a container and mark off the 7 litre mark

2 Disconnect the outlet from the gearbox to the oil cooler ( was the top pipe on a 2012 model and the oil flows from the pipe into the cooler not the other way around as I found out Embarassed )

3 get a suitable piece of pipe that is a tight fit in the oil cooler hose ( the one I used was some HGV plastic air hose but it wasn’t that tight so had a bit of leakage Rolling Eyes )

4 place the pump pipe inlet in you new oil and prime the pipe up to the exit side of the pump pipe until it starts to flow

5 connect your pipe to the oil cooler inlet ( the top spigot ) and secure with a jubilee clip

6 Get some one in the car to start the engine and as they are doing so you turn on the pump

7 The oil will flow out of the plastic pipe into the container and when the old oil reaches the 7 litre mark on your container switch of the engine ( at this stage you should be seeing newish oil colouring starting to flow anyway )

8 Reconnect all pipes and run the engine, check for leaks after it’s warmed up check the level on the drain plug underneath and top up as necessary 👍

You could use the same method from underneath on the gearbox end ( just make sure you get the right pipe ) as long as you have the new o ring to hand which I didn’t
Good luck 👍 MY18 D5 HSE LUX 😎
MY12 FL2 SD4 HSE
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex D2
Ex D1
Ex FREELANDER 1

Post #370689 23rd Apr 2019 8:06 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks for that.
I shall do mine when I get a moment.

Post #370694 23rd Apr 2019 8:59 am
Lando-Rover Calrissian

United States 

This past week I accidentally dumped an unknown amount of transmission fluid onto my driveway. I’m estimating about 2 quarts. How would I use this method knowing my transmission is low on oil? Could I flush it all out until empty and then fill the new oil through the fill plug?

Post #373428 12th Jun 2019 12:00 am
Lando-Rover Calrissian

United States 

Could I pump out the fluid through the cooler line without the car running?

Post #373429 12th Jun 2019 12:26 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Lando-Rover Calrissian wrote:
This past week I accidentally dumped an unknown amount of transmission fluid onto my driveway. I’m estimating about 2 quarts. How would I use this method knowing my transmission is low on oil? Could I flush it all out until empty and then fill the new oil through the fill plug?

I would top up by using the level plug in the centre of the sump plug. Remove the small level plug. Allow the residual fluid to drain. (less than a cupful) Remove the filler plug and replenish until fluid starts to drain from the level plug hole. When it stops draining refit the level plug. Top up an additional 1/2 litre of fluid. It will then be safe to run the engine assuming nothing else happened when you had your "accident". Stop engine and set level again as above. It may have dropped if you emptied the cooler. Run engine again. Check the level when hot as per previous posts above.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #373449 12th Jun 2019 10:25 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

You have to check the transmission oil while the engine running. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #373451 12th Jun 2019 10:56 am
Lando-Rover Calrissian

United States 

dunkley201 wrote:

I would top up by using the level plug in the centre of the sump plug. Remove the small level plug. Allow the residual fluid to drain. (less than a cupful) Remove the filler plug and replenish until fluid starts to drain from the level plug hole. When it stops draining refit the level plug. Top up an additional 1/2 litre of fluid. It will then be safe to run the engine assuming nothing else happened when you had your "accident". Stop engine and set level again as above. It may have dropped if you emptied the cooler. Run engine again. Check the level when hot as per previous posts above.

Bob

It never really stopped draining. When I put the level plug back in, it was bubbling out.

Post #373454 12th Jun 2019 12:04 pm
dunkley201

Steve D wrote:
You have to check the transmission oil while the engine running.

Agreed Steve. However we don’t know how much (or how little) fluid is in there. I would not want to run it dry! As I said, then do level checks as previous posts.

Post #373456 12th Jun 2019 12:26 pm
dunkley201

It never really stopped draining. When I put the level plug back in, it was bubbling out.

I assumed your “accident” involved disconnecting one of the pipes to the heat exchanger. (As in the posts above yours)

What you do need to do is ensure there is sufficient fluid in the system before you run the engine.

Post #373457 12th Jun 2019 12:33 pm
Lando-Rover Calrissian

United States 

No. I took the level plug out with the car off. I then took a drive to get the temp up to 60*c and removed the level plug and it still drained a substantial amount. I don’t know how to accurately tell how much is in the tranny. So I’ve thought about disconnecting a cooler hose and pumping it dry, then refilling it from the fill hole.

Post #373458 12th Jun 2019 12:50 pm
dunkley201

In my experience when the sump is drained with the engine off, up to 4 litres of fluid can drain out where it is suggested in other Forums (such as Volvo) the "drainable" sump contents are around 3.5 litres. I can only presume some of the heat exchanger fluid must drain down after shut down. What is definite is that the whole 7 litres cannot be removed this way.

Worthy of note is I have seen posts where it appears the transmission often contains more fluid from new than would normally be possible than that if a regular fluid change had been done.

If as you say, it never really stopped draining, but was still bubbling out when you replaced the plug, then I guess there was less fluid drained out than you thought. Remember, the ATF is very thin and much like penetrating oil in its consistency, so a little goes a long way.

Let us start at the beginning - when removing the level plug, what were you planning to do? Was it an ATF change, or just a level check? 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #373463 12th Jun 2019 2:34 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Although it’s the same gearbox, it’s a little more difficult on an Evoque due to the electronic gear change motor preventing easy access to the filler plug. Here’s how I did mine: https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/2...tures.html Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #373486 12th Jun 2019 8:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 21 <123 ... 91011 ... 192021>