« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Replacement in-car entertainment unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldseadog

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Replacement in-car entertainment unit

I know this subject has been covered in numerous posts already, but I still can't figure out a definitive answer to my question. What is the best replacement in-car entertainment system for my MY09 HSE?
I have the Alpine unit with 9 speakers and sub-woofer in the boot, 6-CD changer and steering wheel controls.
I would like a unit that is virtually plug-and-play (but I realise that there would be various interface cable assemblies needed). I want all my steering wheel controls to work, including the phone. I would also want to be able to play music etc. from my phone, but I don't necessarily need a CD/DVD player and I would like DAB radio.
I don't necessarily need sat-nav either, as I'm quite happy using Google maps on my phone, but it would be a 'nice to have' -------------------------------------------------------------
1965 Series IIa Safari LWB White - gone
1982 RR 2 door Sahara dust - gone
2000 Freelander 1 3 door white gold - gone
1995 Discovery 1 200Tdi Biaritz Blue - gone
2009 FL2 TD4 HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #369046 26th Mar 2019 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I have a MY11 SE with the Alpine unit. I'm looking to get an Alpine ILX-702. I think it's got a different designation in Europe. With a harness it is controlled by the steering wheel controls, and with Apple carplay/Android Auto it displays your maps rather than having a seperate sat-nav. Also facilitates a reversing camera. I dunno about DAB though, it's not something I know about. I have my own playlists and Spotify.It also works with all the existing speakers.

Actually I'll be in London in May, if it's cheaper I may buy a unit while I'm there. Where might I find one?

Cheers MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #369209 28th Mar 2019 1:11 pm
booktrunk

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Tottenham Court Road, at the bottom still have a couple of shops selling lots of car stereo stuff. 2010 Freelander2 TD4_e GS
--
"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Post #369513 1st Apr 2019 11:57 pm
1nkling

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Interested in this topic too. I've been looking at Pioneer double-din units with the ability to have a reversing camera.

I want to use my Waze satnav on it so the main satnav screen will become somewhat redundant. Not sure if I should turn it back into a cubby.

Post #369525 2nd Apr 2019 10:31 am
wytonpjs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Almost got there.......DAB connection Question

I have a MY11 HSE and, having fitted a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB into the wife’s EOS and been mightily impressed with Carplay and Siri integration, decided to do it on my FL2. I used the InCarTec kit which allows retention of the OEM navigation screen (but with no audio) and despite having to run a lead all the way back to the amp in the rear right boot space, it went particularly well. Only issue I did have is that the OEM head only had one FAKRA connector for the radio signal. Whilst this does provide some FM/AM reception, my old head unit had working DAB. Does anyone know where/how the dab signal got fed to the old head unit. I can easily fit an aftermarket screen aerial but, as my FL2 has the aerial in the rear left window and the amp, I’d like to use those to feed the Pioneer if I can. Any ideas warmly welcome please.

Post #378295 14th Sep 2019 7:19 am
wytonpjs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

I think I have just discovered trawling through other posts that the DAB signal is fed to the head over the MOST network. As I have effectively bypassed that by fitting the aftermarket head unit does anyone know whether there is a conventional FAKRA output from the DAB amplifier that I could use to feed the signal direct to the new head rather than via MOST?

Post #378297 14th Sep 2019 7:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1