Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Largered wrote:

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

Good Bye Listers !!

Why do dealers do that ??

Dealers are chuffing useless in the main. They are only interested in chasing new money, not retaining customers a day over a 3 year old vehicle. How obstructive was that to the long term customer?

Find a decent independent that knows what they are doing would be my advice.

To the OP, some decent advice offered in this thread, certainly worth trying to contact previous owner/servicing agent to get a better picture of the vehicles history.

Post #369085 26th Mar 2019 7:07 pm
GaryLaird

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Largered wrote:
GaryLaird wrote:
........ What would be good to know is if the timing belt had been done.....as its coming up for 10years old it will be due.

My vehicle is coming up to 10yrs and 118Kmls.
So I went to a dealer, Listers, and asked if they had any service history on my vehicle ???
They said NO, unless it was serviced by them.
My turn to say NO, told them they should be able to look at ALL LR dealers history on my vehicle.
Again they said NO.

Banging Head Banging Head

I then asked for a quote to change Belt/Tensioner/Water Pump.
NO Sir , I can only quote for the belt. your vehicle does not need the Tensioner/WaterPump changed.

Good Bye Listers !!

Quite incredible! I hope to be staying away from dealers and doing as much as possible myself.

Post #369090 26th Mar 2019 8:08 pm
GaryLaird

Northcroft wrote:
Z listers Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

good luck Gary, hope you didn't pay too much for the car . . . like someone earlier said about flooding and you said it didn't smell damp, maybe its still worth checking the dvla site with the vin number to see where in the country the last MOT was, this 'may' give you a UK region to do a weather check for perhaps xmas period (ie between November to March)

Can't check the MOT location yet as don't have the V5 document. Should be with me shortly from DVLC.
My theory so far is that failing injectors with all associated smoke and a dealers estimate to fix same as well as the other issues (that I know of), throttle body, two door locks you could easily be looking at a £3k plus bill.......sure there are other issue that I don't yet know of. Faced with that maybe original owners decided to cut their loses and wrote the car off! As its CAT U an insurance company has not paid out for the car so that fits. I paid £3k for the car so original owners got something back. For what I paid its an adventure into the unknown and great if I can get it all going again but will not be the end of the world if I end up off loading it at another auction Censored . Will be disappointing but not the end of the world Mad

Also to add that if car was flooded then it would have been an insurance claim.....assuming the owners had insurance of course......all very confusing Confused

Post #369094 26th Mar 2019 8:22 pm
GaryLaird

SouthamFL2 wrote:
Largered wrote:

Good Bye Listers !!

Dealers are chuffing useless in the main. They are only interested in chasing new money, not retaining customers a day over a 3 year old vehicle. How obstructive was that to the long term customer?

Find a decent independent that knows what they are doing would be my advice.

To the OP, some decent advice offered in this thread, certainly worth trying to contact previous owner/servicing agent to get a better picture of the vehicles history.

Thumbs Up

Post #369095 26th Mar 2019 8:29 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have always dealt with Yeovil LR for servicing and warranty work, part of Helston group which operates in the South West. They do seem to be interested in cars over 3 yrs old and operate the 3+ scheme. Had an A service a couple of weeks ago for £275, lifts into town or loan car if you book far enough in advance.

https://www.helstongarages.co.uk/land-rove...rs/3-plus/ 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #369111 27th Mar 2019 9:54 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

will they drop the OP off at home ?... Yeovil to Falkirk ? Rolling with laughter

Post #369119 27th Mar 2019 11:43 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

From my experience a lot of those DTCs are consistent with an engine start with a low battery. Might be worth clearing them all now the battery is charged and seeing what happens.

That said, there is something I can't quite put my finger on which makes me wonder if it's been dropped, as in too fast over a hump back bridge and bottomed out the suspension.

Post #369131 27th Mar 2019 12:52 pm
GaryLaird

RogB wrote:
will they drop the OP off at home ?... Yeovil to Falkirk ? Rolling with laughter

Now that would be good service Laughing

Post #369148 27th Mar 2019 7:08 pm
GaryLaird

Vanny wrote:
From my experience a lot of those DTCs are consistent with an engine start with a low battery. Might be worth clearing them all now the battery is charged and seeing what happens.

That said, there is something I can't quite put my finger on which makes me wonder if it's been dropped, as in too fast over a hump back bridge and bottomed out the suspension.

Thanks Vanny....indeed I think (hope) your right. A reset will follow but I need to get the injector issue sorted (if that's what it is) first. I don't want to run the engine with the noise its making......not to mention annoying the neighbours with the smoke....or gas myself with the garage door closed Smile

With regards your comments about the suspension....this is based on the ride height or something else? All corners look level but frankly anythings possible and as mentioned have not started looking at suspension/underneath the vehicle.

Post #369149 27th Mar 2019 7:14 pm
GaryLaird

Some further info....the car was last serviced by Bourton Land Rover in November last year. Their based in Bourton on the Water....near Cheltenham. I've just started taking the air inlet pipework off and discover a very new looking air filter which Bourton have kindly dated Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Post #369150 27th Mar 2019 7:21 pm
GaryLaird

First job is to sort out injectors, glow plus and throttle body problems.....technical thread started here http://www.freel2.com/forum/post369151.html#369151

Post #369152 27th Mar 2019 7:43 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I would be inclined to give Ross a bell in the morning and ask him to forward you a copy of the work carried out and redacted invoice...at least you will be able to continue putting the jigsaw together if nothing else...

Post #369154 27th Mar 2019 7:56 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

GaryLaird wrote:
With regards your comments about the suspension....this is based on the ride height or something else? All corners look level but frankly anythings possible and as mentioned have not started looking at suspension/underneath the vehicle.

Just purely from the DTCs

Transmission
P0814 – Transmission Range Display Circuit Malfunction

Body Control Module
B10A2 – Crash Input

I'm sure i've seen them together on a car that went over a canal bridge a bit to quick and bottomed out the rear suspension with quite a bang and scared the driver whitless Whistle Whistle

Post #369171 27th Mar 2019 9:52 pm
GaryLaird

SouthamFL2 wrote:
I would be inclined to give Ross a bell in the morning and ask him to forward you a copy of the work carried out and redacted invoice...at least you will be able to continue putting the jigsaw together if nothing else...

Right...you know them Smile . I've dropped them an email as a starting point...see what comes back. 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369223 28th Mar 2019 5:25 pm
GaryLaird

Vanny wrote:
GaryLaird wrote:

Just purely from the DTCs

Transmission
P0814 – Transmission Range Display Circuit Malfunction

Body Control Module
B10A2 – Crash Input

I'm sure i've seen them together on a car that went over a canal bridge a bit to quick and bottomed out the rear suspension with quite a bang and scared the driver whitless Whistle Whistle

Ah right....of course. You are probably right....the crash sensor must have been tripped by something. Hopefully nothing serious Shocked Once I start resetting the fault codes we will see what remains. I am assuming crash sensors would need dealer resetting? 2010 FL2 TD4 GS

Post #369224 28th Mar 2019 5:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>