Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Retrofit reverse camera (13MY Onwards)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Took a while for that answer to appear. Rolling with laughter

Any updates Vanny?

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #368820 22nd Mar 2019 1:22 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well I only joined the forum last week, so pretty fast really Whistle Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #368844 22nd Mar 2019 6:47 pm
JulesK

Rolling Eyes

🐑

Post #368848 22nd Mar 2019 8:34 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

A small update, I finally bought the tailgate harness, installed it and found the connector for the power and CAN bus but no connector in the headlining for the video feed. I've not given up yet, but I suspect I'll need to strip the interior out completely to install all the many things that are waiting to go in such as TV module.

The bit I don't understand is that there is a cable for the camera plugged into the back of the screen, so where does it go?

Post #368896 24th Mar 2019 6:50 am
JulesK

Thanks Vanny looks like a lot of tracing and head scratching coming your way Very Happy

🐑

Post #368897 24th Mar 2019 7:27 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

If your vehicle didn’t have camera from build it stop just under the gearshift. It’s a fakra lead which goes all the way to the passenger d-Pilar main harness/telematics plug C23U/C23V and changes from a shielded co-ax to 2 pin wire. From there the wires are part of the tailgate harness with rear cam part number. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #368898 24th Mar 2019 7:35 am
Vanny

The tailgate harness I have installed has a Fakra on the vehicle side then the white plug on the tailgate end.

I'm guessing the bit of cable I can see on the back of the FCDIM goes to that manifold of Fakra connectors Infront of the gear knob that most JLR products of that era have. I assume it's to allow the IP to be built up off the car then the connections made during assembly to the vehicle.

Since I want to run the RSE and DVBt cables properly I guess I'll run this one at the same time.

Post #368901 24th Mar 2019 10:31 am
Vanny

Someone was asking about the part number for the tailgate harness on Facebook, which made me realise I hadn't listed it here;

LR051607 (£47 from Duckworths when ordered)

the fakra cable I have to run from front to rear is from China RF. I've ordered a 5m which is probably a bit long.

<INCORRECT>

Part of the reason I still don't have this installed is that I really want to put surround cameras in, but I've struggled to find parts at a suitable price (ie very very low).

Last edited by Vanny on 29th Jul 2020 9:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #370846 25th Apr 2019 5:57 pm
kiprock

United States 2012 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Blackbird14 wrote:
Hi Markflickr,

The car camera came from Amazon and the screen came from ParkingcamerasUK but similar can also be found on the net. I am away from home at the moment but can lookup exact details when home, if you wish.

That cabling between screen and camera was simply run in the headlining by taking the interior lights out and threading a stiff piece of wire between. The wire was passed into the rear door through the existing grommet and then down the side of the rear window and through existing grommet to rear number plate housing. Rear number plate housing had to be removed to allow this. I also picked up a reversing light supply in the boot to allow the screen to come on automatically when reverse selected.

Can take some photos if you wish.

Dave

Hi Dave! I am about to run a rear cam for my 2012 LR2 today. Any advice or pictures you have would be appreciated. Is it difficult to pull the headliner down? How did you run the cable from the headliner to the front dash? Thanks.

Post #384811 18th Jan 2020 7:51 pm
Blackbird14

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi,

The camera I used was a replacement for one on the number plate lights. I took the tail piece in which the number plate lights are fitted of the car to gain access for the wiring fixing the camera cable to the existing wiring and through the grommets into the inside of the rear door. Access to this by removing main door trim, one side trim and central trim used to access high stop light. This allowed access to the ribbed rubber sleeves which join the rear door to the car body at high level. I carefully pushed a piece of strong wire through the sleeve and attached the camera cable to it to pull it through into the car above the roof lining. Access to above roof lining can be gained by removing the rear door seal around the opening and gently pulling the roof lining down. Roof lining fixed with a clip about six inches in from the rear opening. Once I had access above roof lining I took both central interior lights out, one at the front and one above the rear seat. This allowed me to thread a stiff wire from the rear of the car to the light above the rear seat and then from there to the front of the car, camera cable attend to the draw wire and pulled through.

Power taken from front interior fuse box and run up the side of the windscreen by slotting behind trim and then along top of windscreen. I used a screen attached to the rear view mirror.

Sorry no photos of. Work being carried out.

Dave

Post #384815 18th Jan 2020 8:31 pm
kiprock

United States 2012 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Barolo Black

I installed a recerse backup camera last week on my 2012 LR2, along with the xtrons nav system. Here is how I routed the camera wire. Maybe this will be helpful to someone. ALso, I ended up not using the camera shown, but rather I used the custom fit one, worked much better.

Here is the cam:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-View-Cam...2749.l2649

Post #386192 9th Feb 2020 5:54 pm
enzofl2

Italy 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Alaska White

Vanny wrote:
Someone was asking about the part number for the tailgate harness on Facebook, which made me realise I hadn't listed it here;

LR051607 (£47 from Duckworths when ordered)

the fakra cable I have to run from front to rear is from China RF. I've ordered a 5m which is probably a bit long.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fakra-Z-Jack-to...ctupt=true

Part of the reason I still dont have this installed is because really I want to put surround cameras in, but i've struggled to find parts at a suitable price (ie very very low).

Hi Vanny. I have taken up this project that I could not start this summer, and I am preparing all the pieces to compose the puzzle. Smile
Thank you for publishing the part numbers for the tailgate wiring. Thumbs Up
While I was buying the fakra cable looking at your Aliexpress link I realized that it is a female / female fakra cable.

Click image to enlarge

Looking at the tailgate wiring, I have a female Fakra cable, and an 8-pin connector.
So I ordered a female / male fakra cable.
Now a doubt has arrived. Should the fakra connector that comes under the gearbox be female or male? Shocked
I apologize for translation errors. Whistle Freelander 2 Y13 TD4 SE - Alaska White

Post #386250 10th Feb 2020 7:55 pm
Vanny

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had chance to run the cable through but my understanding is that if you have the link cable from the screen down to just in front of the gear selector then to go from there you need a male to male. But if you go from the screen to the tailgate harness then you need a female to male.

Post #386322 12th Feb 2020 4:57 pm
enzofl2

Italy 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Alaska White

The cable I used is a 5mt fakra z Female / Male. The cable starts female from the gear selector below the tunnel, and ends male above the rear pillar, as Stuartc has already described above.. 30 cm of cable is left over.

https://i.imgur.com/cml78LW.jpg?1

Click image to enlarge

I bought the cable on amazon https://www.amazon.it/dp/B076M8F31L/ref=cm...network-21

Click image to enlarge

https://i.imgur.com/qBpHsS8.jpg?1

Unfortunately I have difficulty posting images on freel. I'm sorry I can't help more. It will be a problem of the image hosting site. Sad
I remedied the post. I hope it is understandable Whistle Freelander 2 Y13 TD4 SE - Alaska White

Post #387596 4th Mar 2020 9:18 pm
flybd5

United States 2008 LR2 i6 Sport Auto Santorini Black

If you install a Garmin BC-30 and buy yourself an inexpensive used Garmin device from the compatible list, you don't have to wire anything to the front, just connect the power to the reverse light, and you're done. As a bonus you get a real GPS with a modern database with free updates. 2008 US LR2 SE, 6-cyl gas

Post #387852 8th Mar 2020 9:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>