« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dashcam footage: A learning experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Dashcam footage: A learning experience

I thought this deserved it's own topic. We all have momentary lapses in concentration sometimes and make mistakes so I thought I would post about my own.

No need for a debate as this was my fault albeit with some mitigating circumstances. I can assure everyone that this negative experience will become positive learning and not just for me as we have all been there at some point I'm sure. This really is a case of expect the unexpected.

No blame can be placed on the guy other than just a bit of stupidity!

Before the video, these are the key points to consider:

1: 40mph limit

2: At 6 seconds into the video, I had spotted a Seat SUV approaching from my right which was angled as if to take the left turn but wasn't indicating, I then looked ahead to make sure all was well and I remember this because I could still see the Merc ahead when I looked

3: At 7 seconds into the video, I acknowledged that the Mercedes had left the roundabout and continued, so no build up of traffic ahead and thus all was well

4: I was then still slowing down and now looking at the Seat which indicated late and took the turn

5: My attention returned to the front of my car, a fraction of a second after I had crossed the white line and therefore entering the roundabout

6: Brown underpants moment!

After the video:

1: I pulled over and the guy came along for a chat. It became apparent that he had a few issues shall we say. He said I could not fool him and that my car was electric and could do 200mph. He also said I had driven at at least 40mph around the bend when it was in fact 16mph. He then started going on about having his wallet stolen once and that he doesn't believe in magic.

2: Due to the shock and not having viewed the footage, I asked him where he had come from. He said he was just leaving the road to go onto the footpath. The footage shows no such thing and I suspect the Merc driver must have wondered what he was doing.

3: I have questioned myself since as to what if it was a pedestrian crossing at the island ahead while I was busy observing the Seat but then the footage shows my attention was back on the road ahead well before I reached that point in the road.

All in all I am glad this was recorded so I can see how it was rather than just questioning myself and taking his version of events as truthful. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #368752 21st Mar 2019 3:48 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I have to disagree on no blame being attached to the other guy! He was riding against the traffic on the wrong side of the road so it would have been completely his fault had there been a collision.If you were using the crossing point as a pedestrian then you should go across it at right angles to the pavement to the opposite point on the same roadway, not veer off to the crossing point on an adjacent street.No difference for a cyclist! If he had been using the crossing properly and you had almost hit him then yes there would certainly be grounds for him to be a bit upset but as it stands he should have been the one apologising to you! Unless the highway code has changed and now states that you have to give way to traffic coming from your left on a roundabout!

Post #368753 21st Mar 2019 4:17 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Just because you're riding a bike doesn't mean you can cycle the wrong way round a roundabout! I'd place the blame squarely on him for that one - he clearly rides on the wrong side of the road approaching the roundabout, then proceeds the wrong way around it.

Post #368754 21st Mar 2019 4:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I am grateful for the disagreement and blaming the cyclist. The reason I said no blame on him was because ultimately my attention was delayed from looking right and if I’d have hit him, questions would have been asked as to why I didn’t see him sooner.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of whatever is thrown at us as drivers, we should always be alert to it. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #368757 21st Mar 2019 4:30 pm
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Entirely the fault of the cyclist. I can't believe his cheek considering he was on the wrong side of the road going against the traffic!

Post #368758 21st Mar 2019 5:03 pm
Largered

......... were you driving on the continent ? ....... the bike deffo was ....

Post #368760 21st Mar 2019 5:34 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I agree that you have to be super vigilant as a driver nowadays! On the daily commute its incredible the number of people I see on the motorway that are busy eating, drinking, texting, reading newspapers , applying makeup,shaving etc and then once off the motorway you have to contend with cyclists who ignore red lights, weave in and out of traffic etc and pedestrians who are too busy glued to their mobile phones to keep and eye out for traffic when they step out onto the road without looking!

Post #368761 21st Mar 2019 5:45 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Could have been so much worse, defo him at fault but had you actually hit him it is very lucky you would have footage to show just what kind of genius the rider was, but that would not make you feel better with him in the back of an ambulance.....

Well done for stopping in time Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #368764 21st Mar 2019 6:23 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks. The more I watch it and read your inputs, the more I think I was being harsh on myself in my first post. I think post incident I was still a bit shocked by it. Believe me it was very alarming to see him at such close quarters.

I still think I should have looked around sooner but that’s the benefit of hindsight and worth remembering next time I’m looking at cars coming from my right. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #368768 21st Mar 2019 6:52 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My pet hate at the moment is people cutting corners onto my side of the road as they are too lazy to travel a bit further and apply a bit more lock.

And of course in heavy traffic (Bristol) motor/pedal cyclists who weave in and out of the traffic, overtaking on both sides and cutting across the front of the car towards the next potential gap.

Well done for taking it steady and avoiding him. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #368771 21st Mar 2019 7:17 pm
Largered

These days ...... you (the driver of any vehicle) need to 'drive' for all vehicles/pedestrians around us. My driving instructor taught me to drive like this in the mid 70's. I have driven that way ever since.

Post #368772 21st Mar 2019 7:19 pm
j77

Scotland 

Everyone’s an ar£ehole except yourself.

Cyclists to blame by default Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #368785 21st Mar 2019 10:41 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Stupid cyclists.

It would have been ok if you had hit him as there was a Doctor on the scene!!

I'LL get my coat Embarassed

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #368794 22nd Mar 2019 8:22 am
Largered

j77 wrote:
Everyone’s an ar£ehole except yourself.

Cyclists to blame by default Laughing

Why is it as pedestrians we are able to walk along a crowded street, with people (& kids) and OAPs on buggies/babies in prams , but very very rarely do we collide ???
I believe our bodies and most especially our brains assist these maneuvers.

The brain is the very best computing Power that can perform Consensus Computing, User Understanding, Neural Networking and Time-based Technology.

It's those no-brain drivers that shorten the above 'Power' to its acronym.

Censored

Post #368801 22nd Mar 2019 9:43 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Largered wrote:
The brain is the very best computing Power that can perform Consensus Computing, User Understanding, Neural Networking and Time-based Technology.

It's those no-brain drivers that shorten the above 'Power' to its acronym.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That brightened up my otherwise relatively dull Friday morning.... Thumbs Up

A similar acronym can be applied to Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travelling Society....aka Pikeys!

Post #368807 22nd Mar 2019 10:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>