« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Trip Computer query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Trip Computer query

I like this forum - I've been a member for just one week and managed to look up most of the little niggles or queries I have relating to my FL2... there's just one I haven't found any reference to (which doesn't automatically mean it's not there... Embarassed )

Just before my engine malady a month ago, I found that suddenly the trip computer wasn't operating whereas it had been fine. Post-engine transplant it still doesn't, so the mark one disconnect-the-battery solution hasn't restored it.

I don't think it's the display itself - messages like "Driver's Door Open" and so-on still show up on the screen, but the "i" button the end of the indicator stalk isn't producing anything on the screen itself, and there's no trip computer data at all showing.

It's either the switch itself or there is, I assume, some kind of module somewhere on the vehicle that handles that data... and that it needs either a re-program or replacement. Either way I'd like to retrieve the functionality, provided I don't have to sell my house to pay for it!!

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea how I can even get the fault located, followed hopefully by getting it fixed somehow somewhere. I'm fine changing oil/oil filters and recently changed both headlamp bulbs, but electronics and I stay firmly apart and always will... Very Happy

Cheers! Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #368347 13th Mar 2019 4:48 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Same here with electronic stuff Shocked sorry

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #368351 13th Mar 2019 5:45 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

One of the information "options" as you scroll through is to simply show nothing, and the fact that the information button on the end of the stalk doesn't seem to be working makes me think the display is fine, but there is something wrong with the stalk.
Do all the other functions on the stalks work?

Post #368355 13th Mar 2019 8:06 pm
Deafender

Hello Vanny,

Yes everything else via the stalk is working fine... indicators, headlamp flash etc... same on the other side for the wipers etc... Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #368374 13th Mar 2019 10:54 pm
Badger51

Australia 

It would only take a bad contact in the push button circuit to stop it working, as Vanny has already suggested. It would be the first thing to check out imho.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #368376 13th Mar 2019 11:00 pm
Deafender

Yep, makes sense... It doesn’t look like the button part itself can dismantle... well, everything will dismantle once, but I wouldn’t want to break it in the process... Smile

It’s not affecting the car overall so it’s one to add for the auto electrician... I’ll be getting a towbar added soon and also adding a hardwired dash cam, an insurance requirement when I renew in April.

I’m actually really interested to see how the car is doing on fuel economy with the combination of brand new tyres and new engine... just a little piece of comfort for the large hole these made in my finances.... Cool Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….

Post #368382 14th Mar 2019 6:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1