Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Glow plugs operation - software update available??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I remember reading some time ago that on some cars the glow plugs come on for a pre-heat when you open the driver side door so that you didn't have to wait for the plugs to warm up. Does anyone know if this happens on an FL2? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #337257 14th Dec 2017 10:46 am
alex_pescaru

No.
There is a pre-start glow phase, when you turn on the ignition, for a period depending on the external and engine temperature and there is a post-start glow phase, when the glow plugs are again activated in order to help the combustion and lower the engine pollution. The post glow period is ended once the engine reaches a certain temperature.

Post #337282 14th Dec 2017 6:34 pm
Rikki

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Barolo Black

Sounds a bit of a silly question but here goes...

If I get code P0380 which seems to relate to Glow Plugs but the car is starting and running fine (it's very cold here in Glasgow at the moment) should I be concerned? I've not long bought the car second hand and it's still under warranty but I don't want to have to return it and leave it with the garage for days if it's not an issue.

Thanks.

Post #368297 12th Mar 2019 5:12 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I think that if you start immediately in say -4 or less, the ecu throws up this fault, my 07 did it ,I found the code when just checking routinely for codes.so in cold weather we put ign on for a few seconds before pressing the brake to start,and the code never came back.

Post #368311 12th Mar 2019 9:21 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

old engines were direct injection I believe,which always start ok with out much heat ,if any,,but they where very noisey,in later years they were made quieter so used in the modern saloons.

Post #368312 12th Mar 2019 9:25 pm
Grant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Don't want to revive an older thread but I'm having an issue with my 07 FL2 TD4. It won't turn over in cold weather, I just got taxi's last winter until the temperature lifted, figuring I'd be trading in this summer but it's not happened so I'm now left with this issue needing solved before winter takes hold.

Would it be a glow plug change I'm needing to you reckon? And if so, is there a guide for it? I've tried YouTube and not saw anything about it.

Post #378366 16th Sep 2019 9:45 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It depends what you mean by "won't turn over". If the engine literally isn't turning over (not cranking or cranking very slowly) then it's not the glow plugs. If the engine is cranking normally but not starting it may be, but even without glow plugs the engine should still start unless it's really cold, although it might take a couple of attempts and run rough at first. So whilst the glow plugs might be faulty there may be something else going on.

Obvious things to check: battery, wiring to starter including battery earthing, fuel filter, solenoid and starter motor.

If you can describe exactly what happens when it fails to start it we may be able to help further.

Post #378370 16th Sep 2019 10:23 am
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Do a search for glow plugs using the link at the top of the page. There are at least two long threads on this including photos, etc . I think you can also download the workshop manual pdf which also has all the instruction.

Post #378371 16th Sep 2019 10:25 am
Grant

pab wrote:
It depends what you mean by "won't turn over". If the engine literally isn't turning over (not cranking or cranking very slowly) then it's not the glow plugs. If the engine is cranking normally but not starting it may be, but even without glow plugs the engine should still start unless it's really cold, although it might take a couple of attempts and run rough at first. So whilst the glow plugs might be faulty there may be something else going on.

Obvious things to check: battery, wiring to starter including battery earthing, fuel filter, solenoid and starter motor.

If you can describe exactly what happens when it fails to start it we may be able to help further.

Well, tends to be, I'll press the ignition, everything is normal, then push again to startup the engine but it'll just click kinda, after a few tried nothing happens, it was killing the battery last winter cause of it, I've changed over the battery this summer, but when the temperature is above zero, it fires up and drives great, but it won't spurt into life when it's freezing.

It's a really weird one.

DigDil wrote:
Do a search for glow plugs using the link at the top of the page. There are at least two long threads on this including photos, etc . I think you can also download the workshop manual pdf which also has all the instruction.

Thanks I'll have a look into that too mate.

Post #378375 16th Sep 2019 10:41 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

That's not glow plugs - as above I'd start with the starter wiring, battery earthing, solenoid and starter motor.

With failed glow plugs the engine would crank normally but be reluctant to start.

Post #378377 16th Sep 2019 11:10 am
Grant

pab wrote:
That's not glow plugs - as above I'd start with the starter wiring, battery earthing, solenoid and starter motor.

With failed glow plugs the engine would crank normally but be reluctant to start.

Right, but it starts perfectly fine in normal weather conditions? ie. not freezing. I don't see how it couldn't be the glow plugs? I was assuming they might all be dead since we've not had a seriously bad winter since I bought it a few years ago until earlier this year?

Post #378378 16th Sep 2019 11:16 am
Markduc

Isle Of Man 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I would get the battery checked first, if it’s not brilliant the cold weather could just be enough to tip it over the edge, then be ok when weather warms up

Post #378383 16th Sep 2019 11:55 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Starter solenoid or battery on the way out most likely. A fairly common problem and not that difficult to fix. Lots of threads on here about it. Colder weather can make a dodgy part more likely to be problematic. As others have stated if glow plugs were faulty the engine would still spin over and try to start.

Post #378384 16th Sep 2019 11:59 am
Grant

Markduc wrote:
I would get the battery checked first, if it’s not brilliant the cold weather could just be enough to tip it over the edge, then be ok when weather warms up

The battery is brand new, heavy duty one, only had it 2 months so I've ruled that out, although in fairness if she starts up on cold days then I'll know it was the battery, just dubious to wait around and see if that's what the problem was. Think I'll break out the miltimeter this weekend and get checking the glow plugs, saw some guids how to go about that. Is there any test to do on the starter motor?

Post #378389 16th Sep 2019 1:35 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

The solenoid kit is only about £17 on Ebay so a cheap enough part to replace but as previously stated a faulty starter and faulty glow plugs are 2 very different issues. I think you are getting them a bit mixed up. 1/ Press start button: Nothing happens or only a click= faulty starter or bad battery. 2/ press start button: Engine turns over for around 20 seconds or so but does not start= Faulty glow plugs. If during warmer weather the engine starts after a few seconds or so and is a bit smokey then most probably 1 or more faulty glow plugs.

Post #378393 16th Sep 2019 2:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>