Home > General > MOT Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Had the same with rear discs...

"Brake disc significantly and obviously worn Rear [1.1.14 (a) (I)]"

There was nothing wrong with them. Minimum of 10mm over the whole of both discs. (Details posted elsewhere on here)..

One has to suspect that revenue losses from falling car sales has to be made up elsewhere - they offered to replace discs and pads 'to get it through the MoT' at an eye watering price but having previously inspected them when I put the winter wheels on I declined their 'kind' offer.

Guy Salmon Sheffield will not be seeing my car in their servicing or MoT test bays again. One wonders, had I been present to argue the point if they'd have failed it. They was counting on my agreement to fit new over the phone. Had they not tried to rip me off they'd have had a new three year service contract from me but hey... I'll try the Doncaster place too.

Post #367950 6th Mar 2019 10:36 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Steve D wrote:
Tyres can be completely bald on both outer edges and still pass the MOT. It’s the middle 75% that count. Sometimes less as it’s only the main channels, the ones with the tread wear indicators in (not the sipes) that count.

AFAIK they have to be showing some tread. So they can't be completely bald as you say. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #367995 7th Mar 2019 6:16 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I am 100% certain that Steve D is a current MoT tester but this is from the AA...

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/tyres

Note that all categories except <3,500kg specifically mention full width tread.

Type of vehicle
Minimum tread depth

Cars, Goods vehicles (<3,500kg), Trailers and caravans (<3,500kg)
At least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre 3/4 of the tread and around the entire circumference

Most larger vehicles
At least 1.0mm throughout a continuous band across at least 3/4 of the breadth of the tread and around the entire circumference. The original tread pattern must be visible in the remaining quarter.

Motorcycles 50cc and over
At least 1.0mm throughout a continuous band across at least 3/4 of the breadth of the tread and around the entire circumference. The original tread pattern must be visible in the remaining quarter.

Mopeds and motorcycles under 50cc
The original tread pattern must be visible

3 February 2017

Post #368022 7th Mar 2019 11:57 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

blacktiger wrote:
Steve D wrote:
Tyres can be completely bald on both outer edges and still pass the MOT. It’s the middle 75% that count. Sometimes less as it’s only the main channels, the ones with the tread wear indicators in (not the sipes) that count.

AFAIK they have to be showing some tread. So they can't be completely bald as you say.

Did you not see my earlier post along with the relevant text from the inspection manual? Read the last paragraph. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #368024 8th Mar 2019 12:10 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

HappyNomad wrote:
I am 100% certain that Steve D is a current MoT tester....

Yes, I am although it’s a very small part of my work and I probably average just two or three tests a week (my main work is training and assessing) but you must always remember, and this was always stressed on refresher courses, MOT standards are MINIMUM standards. You'd be surprised at how far worn items must be before they can be failed although quite a few testers are keen to issue a failure for obvious reasons. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #368025 8th Mar 2019 12:16 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Took my FL2 to Yeovil LR today for a 3+ A service @ £275 plus an MOT. Had a call from them saying that the rear pads were down to 2mm and do I want them changed for £192.64 ? I asked "will it pass the MOT like that" response "well yes" "OK then I will do it myself" . Anyway good experience, car all washed etc plus driven into town and back and MOT OK apart from an advisory on the rear pads. Next step to order some pads. Very Happy

Oh and I had a word with a sales guy about the Disco sport and is there a price difference for a petrol version. Initially he said about £3k extra but then went on to say why not stay with diesel, the new "Ingenium engine is great" so I asked him how many customers had the oil dilution problem and worn balance shaft problem. Anyway I guess LR will start producing more petrol versions if they want to stay in business. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #368071 8th Mar 2019 7:33 pm
digger

2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yorky Bob wrote:
Got the car back and the bloke is a plonker as they are good enough to have passed the test with an advisory.

seems many dealers are imposing targets for selling spares on their technicians, my wifes car was reported to need new brake pads and disks all round, right up until I phoned them and said I would be comind down to check them myself on ramp with my measuring kit!
Last time the car went there for service obviously ( and the pads were almost new and disks showed normal wear only)

Post #368225 11th Mar 2019 5:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12