« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Monzo account
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Monzo account

This was recommended to me by a couple of friends and I have now signed up. I bank with First Direct and I won't be switching, this is purely for general spending. One thing that has always irritated me with debit card payments is how long they take to be reflected on your account balance! The other day I used my FD Visa debit card and it took almost 48 hours to show. No such problem with Monzo.

So, I have calculated my total direct debits and standing orders and deducted them from my monthly income. I have then done a best estimate of my monthly spending via debit card or cash withdrawals and intend to transfer that amount to Monzo next payday which of course will reflect instantly on my bank account.

I have set my monthly budget in the Monzo app using various categories such as shopping, eating out or petrol and whenever I use the Monzo debit card (MasterCard), it is reflected instantly on the balance. Obviously cash withdrawals are always instant but the app then allows you to categorise your spending so you know if you are within your category budgets and of course the overall budget.

It gets outstanding reviews I must say. Anyone on here use it? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #368058 8th Mar 2019 4:12 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Use it...never heard of it. Very Happy Common sense isn't very common.

Post #368059 8th Mar 2019 4:40 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I have a Monzo card. I got it after we were getting fuel in France. My cards (Visa Debit and Visa credit cards) wouldn't work, my friend's Monzo cards did.

Another card to consider is "Revolut". With this you load it up with £ and you can convert it to many other currencies and you don't incur foreign currency transaction charges.
I've used it all over Europe and beyond. I recently used it all around Australia, New Zealand and Singapore by converting to the local currency. Malaysian Ringits weren't in the convert list but it still works with the amount being instantly converted to GBP at a good rate.
The transaction comes through on the phone app within seconds. Also, if you're running low, you can top up the card using the app in seconds too. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #368063 8th Mar 2019 5:33 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

We use the Sainsbury Cash Passport card when abroad - it works in a similar fashion Jules

Post #368082 8th Mar 2019 10:36 pm
nick the greek

Greece 

Don't even bother with Revolut - the CEO just resigned due to money laundering accusations. I had about 5-6 friends singing it's praises. However one of them had £30k account frozen for a month. He only got his money back because an acquaintance of his knew one of the executives in the US.

Monzo on the other hand, my accountant sings its praises and I'm planning to get the company account on it.

Just my 2 pence worth... 2013 SE TD4 in Mauritius Blue [Written off]

Post #368117 9th Mar 2019 3:55 pm
1nkling

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Love my monzo account. Lots of great features and they keep working on more. They also give good info about where the are at in their road map of features.

I also have a revolut card but haven't had the need to use it for ages. Monzo does everything I need including converting currencies on the fly at the interbank rate.

Post #368133 9th Mar 2019 10:36 pm
Largered

I still remember the MONDEX 'Bank of the Future', lasted less than 10yrs and many of those were trials/pilots.

Post #368138 10th Mar 2019 3:15 am
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Starling is similar- great app- albeit most of high street banks are 'catching' up- most now have 'real time' on their App's. 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #368149 10th Mar 2019 11:42 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I’ve just applied for and got a Monzo card. How does it work? Card coming soon but the app is active on my Samsung phone. The reason I wanted one is because none of my current visa debit cards will work on Samsung/Google pay. They all worked on Applepay when I had an iPhone. The only card I can get to work on Samsung pay is my M&S credit card and I don’t want to buy coffees and cakes on credit! I looked on the Monzo web site and it said it works with Google pay. Do I have to load money onto it or can it be set up to take whatever I spend on it directly from my bank account? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #368173 10th Mar 2019 4:15 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Does the Monzo card give the same protection as a credit card with respect to goods and services bought with it ? 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #368184 10th Mar 2019 5:54 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

It is an actual currrent account Steve but I’m using mine like a pre-paid card so it needs loading. Piece of cake if you set the Monzo account up as a payee on your existing banking app.

Martyn, as it’s MasterCard debit as opposed to credit, you won’t get the consumer credit act cover but it does come with the usual debit card cover that all banks provide. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #368188 10th Mar 2019 8:12 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks Doc , in that case I’ll get one just as a back up . I like the fact that I can load it up from my main bank account using my phone . I used the Saga Credit card extensively for travelling as it had excellent exchange rates . Unfortunately the card is closing , the issuer is Allied Irish Banks in Dublin and not surprisingly they are closing it down due to unknown conditions post Brexit day . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #368193 10th Mar 2019 11:10 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I went Monese because I live between Ireland and UK and they go one step further and give you a second account in Euro for free. Otherwise I’d have gone Mongo...

... Intersting about the Revolut CEO... I recall from when I signed up last summer that they weren’t holders of a banking licence like Monzo or Monese which put me off a bit... you’d think with all the faff these banks put you though these days you wouldn’t have to think about that... I may be glad I did though! Smile Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #368198 11th Mar 2019 6:48 am
GeorgeB

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I applied for a Tandem credit card after Nationwide reduced the cashback % on my N/W Select Card.

The Tandem Card gives you 0.5% cashback on purchases and no fees on purchases abroad. Has a smartphone app which is very useful and notifies you of each transaction as it is received, usually within minutes.

However, it's a real credit card, so subject to a credit check. Also, the card doesn't offer balance transfers.

Post #368205 11th Mar 2019 10:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1