Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Heavy Steering at low speed and whine from steering pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

[quote="Arctic" power steering fluid was at the minimum.
added red PAS fluid to top up as that is what was in the reservoir when I purchased the fl2 back in 2017.[/quote]

I seem to remember the pipes at the rack end have "O" rings that someone reported had failed once. The oil from LR is not red so be tad careful of the specification you use. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #366496 15th Feb 2019 9:25 am
Badger51

Australia 

'The oil from LR is not red so be tad careful of the specification you use'.

Neither are any of the equivalent fluids that I know of either! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #366552 16th Feb 2019 7:21 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
J K wrote:
Hi Artic,
Yes sounds like a leak; and definitely worth changing the reservoir at this stage,like to know how you get on, as will be giving my whole steering a close inspection, and only want to change/ up grade what is necessary,
Best regards JK

Hi JK.
Yes 100% a leak as you can see from the photo's below I am off out in a while to get it up on the ramps, give it a good clean round the area of the leak and see what I need to do to rectify it, I have ordered a new reservoir (LR000578) which should be here Monday.

Does anyone know best place to by the power steering (Green) fluid LR003401 I did find a place on ebay but it is £17 for a ltr surely it can be purchase by 5ltrs at a better cost ?I am informed at least 3ltrs is needed to flush the system ? is this correct anyone.

Post #366558 16th Feb 2019 11:18 am
Badger51

Australia 

It's expensive stuff all right, personally I managed with two litres & still had some left over. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #366559 16th Feb 2019 11:24 am
Arctic

Quote:
Yorky Bob

I seem to remember the pipes at the rack end have "O" rings that someone reported had failed once. The oil from LR is not red so be tad careful of the specification you use

Badger51 wrote:
'The oil from LR is not red so be tad careful of the specification you use'.

Neither are any of the equivalent fluids that I know of either!

Thank you guys I have noticed now I can see the leak that the oil looks to be a green colour yet when I purchased the FL2 in March 2017 and I looked into the reservoir took a sample out came a red colour, and have topped up once since purchasing it from minimum to just below maximum, then the other day I topped up using an Halfords make again the same so maybe it as just sat on top of the green fluid ?

As above in my other post best place to purchase the green please in more than 1ltr all answers appreciated Arctic

PS did a quick search before I go out and investigate this leak, these have come up anyone else used them ?
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/LR003401-MFG210.aspx

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/power-assiste...36134.html

Post #366561 16th Feb 2019 11:29 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

The colour will matter if you have any sort of warranty on the vehicle. I purchased a 3 year old FL2 and when the steering rack died LR at first refused to cover under the warranty as it had red fluid. I pointed out that I had bought it from a dealer with a book stamped up with dealer services. The local LR workshop (JLC) argued my case and got the go-ahead for the work. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #366574 16th Feb 2019 7:36 pm
Arctic

Quote:
Badger51 wrote:
It's expensive stuff all right, personally I managed with two litres & still had some left over.

Ok so I rang local Jaguar Landrover this morning and asked about the PAS fluid, LR003401 I was informed they have 7 bottles left cost for 1ltr is £11.17, so not that bad really.

After coming off the phone I set about finding the leak, FL2 up on ramps.

Before removing the engine under cover plate, you could see that the oil was mainly on the right of the sub frame.

Once removed it gave me a better view

The best view was from the rear of the engine looking over the sub frame.

Cleaned the leaking area, topped up the reservoir then took a few more photo's from this one you can clearly see it is the rusted pipe that is leaking, going to the steering rack.

I then re-fitted the under tray plate as that is not really in the way, drove off the ramps jacked up the drivers side and took off the wheel, this gave you a direct view of the leaking pipe.

Cleaned area once again put a white rag over the steering boot, and watched it drip onto it.

It seem that I need pressure return hose pipe ( LR029185 ) as anyone else ever seen this or had to do this job ? if so any tips would be great cheers Arctic.

Post #366592 16th Feb 2019 10:05 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Both pipes come as an assy. There is some info in this thread.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic24947.html (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #366598 16th Feb 2019 11:30 pm
Arctic

Quote:
Both pipes come as an assy. There is some info in this thread.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic24947.html

Thank you for the link most appreciated, looks like I will need the top half of the pressure pump return hose as well, I am sure a few will be doing this job in the future, due to corrosion of the pipe which I will treat before fitting the new one.

Post #366609 17th Feb 2019 1:22 am
Arctic

Quote:
Past master wrote:
The colour will matter if you have any sort of warranty on the vehicle. I purchased a 3 year old FL2 and when the steering rack died LR at first refused to cover under the warranty as it had red fluid. I pointed out that I had bought it from a dealer with a book stamped up with dealer services. The local LR workshop (JLC) argued my case and got the go-ahead for the work.

HI Past master.
Yes 100% agree warranty could well be voided if wrong fluid was used, I only added 70ml so hopefully no damaged cause to the power steering pump.

Today I found time to go back to Halfords, I spoke to the manager informing him that I was assured the fluid I was given was the right type, by a chap whom said he owned the same car a FL2 diesel.

Upon checking he said NO you needed the CHF 202 /CHF 11S I said I had now got to flush the system and it would most likely take a minimum of 2 litre's, he said I wil sort this out for you.

He then refunded me my money and also gave me 3 litre's of CHF of there make. so I can flush out the system and renew the fluid once I receive the new reservoir and pressure return pump hose coupling.

So yes a big shout out for the Halfords manager.
Click image to enlarge

States in the manual below.

Will post up how the change over go's when I get round to it sometime mid week, good job I have got my R40 M47 diesel Tourer to use in the mean time.

Post #366648 17th Feb 2019 4:30 pm
Badger51

Australia 

That's a good result at least. Several vids on youtube re changing the reservoir/flushing etc. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #366715 18th Feb 2019 12:13 am
Arctic

Ok So the replacement parts arrived today, I decided to go for the power steering pressure pump top hose also just incase the joint is corroded badly and it will not part with out damage.

I am still waiting on the reservoir & the original fluid, couple of clips and some O-rings.

Once I have all the parts I can proceed to change them over, now I am presuming that because I have to remove the pressure pipes, and hoses that I do not need to bleed the system before hand, only once I have replaced all parts, then bleed the system to get rid of any bubbles & what little PSF fluid I put in when I mistakenly topped it up with the wrong fluid.

Maybe it would be best to do it now so the fluid bleeds out of the holed pipe ? any and all suggestion welcomed cheers Arctic.

Post #366956 19th Feb 2019 11:32 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Pipes off and move steering side to side a few times to push out the old crud. For perfection you could do the job, run a while and bleed again. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #366957 19th Feb 2019 11:38 pm
Arctic

Quote:
[quote="Yorky Bob"][quote=" Pipes off and move steering side to side a few times to push out the old crud. For perfection you could do the job, run a while and bleed again

Hi Bob.
Thank you for your reply, yes I think I will do as you say pipes off and flush out the old fluid & crud, change over to the new reservoir after or would it be best to follow this video below.

What ever I decide to do I will post up how it went including photo's cheers guys most appreciated for all suggestion & help

Post #366958 20th Feb 2019 12:39 am
Badger51

Australia 

Yes, as YB has said change pipes first (you'll probably lose most of the old fluid then), then flush & bleed as per the video. Thats's how I did it, using the old reservoir to collect the Censored fluid. Of course you'll also be using the correct fluid, not like the guy in the video!

Good luck with it.

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash

Post #366959 20th Feb 2019 3:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>