Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > An early Christmas present to myself!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

A month or so and 1,000 miles in still enjoying the new car! I have made a few minor mods including fitting a Dynamic tailgate panel, an extra interior light in the boot (on the opposite side to the original)and a Genuine Land Rover Rechargeable torch. I have bought a new set of rubber mats to replace the carpet mats for the winter months and that's about it. I thought that I would miss not having a cd player but now I find using a usb stick so much easier! The DS is getting around 36 MPG and find the autobox very smooth with seamless changes. One thing I do miss from the Freelander is the individual armrests and I think that I will add these to the front seats as my next mod. I had previously fitted a pair of Classic Range Rover armrests to my Freelander 1 when I had it and it is not a difficult mod to do. Thumbs Up P.S Yes it`s dirty!

Post #364066 18th Jan 2019 6:25 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

dondiddy wrote:
. . had a garage clearout and sold loads on Ebay etc etc and had some help from my wife as well. . .

Is the new owner pleased with her Rolling with laughter

Post #364069 18th Jan 2019 6:40 pm
Largered

I thought the plate, that holds the armrest, is welded on.

Post #364071 18th Jan 2019 6:41 pm
dondiddy

Yes the plate is spot welded on but not difficult to drill out and then bolt on to the other seat. My wife did say to me after I had bought the DS that she thought there was no way I would have ever bought a Volvo even although I had looked at a few whilst looking to replace the Freelander as I have always had Land Rovers previously. She was probably right! Rolling with laughter

Post #364077 18th Jan 2019 6:55 pm
dondiddy

Fitted these today after missing them from my previous Freelander! Hunted around for Land Rover ones but it would have meant buying 2 seat backs with armrests to get the brackets then having to buy new leather covers in the right colour so for the same kind of money I ended up buying brand new ones for a VW transporter. I had to modify the brackets to suit but did not have to drill any new holes in the seat frames. The colour and texture of the armrests are a perfect match for the seats so very pleased with the end result! I had fitted a set of Range Rover Classic armrests to a previous Freelander 1 but this was a lot easier! No reason you could not fit these or similar to a Freelander that didn`t have them as standard as they are available in Black leather, Black cloth, Beige leather and beige cloth. You have to be aware however that there are airbags in the seats and that there can sometimes be razor sharp edges on the inner seat frames. (Not an issue on mine) so take the necessary safeguards before attempting any work!

Last edited by dondiddy on 28th Jan 2019 10:00 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #364711 26th Jan 2019 4:54 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

that's a nice mod, did you just drill straight through the leather and into the seat frame ? how are they fixed to the seat ?

Post #364828 28th Jan 2019 8:59 am
dondiddy

Thanks Rog! The armrest brackets are bolted to the seat frame with 2 bolts per bracket. There are lots of holes on the seat frame so I was able to use 2 existing ones without any drilling to the seat frame required. I had to cut down the brackets a bit and drill one new hole in the bracket to suit the seat. I made up a backing plate for each bracket from a piece of 3mm aluminium to help spread any load through the seat. The armrests fix to the brackets with a single bolt so you have to cut a small hole in the seat material to allow the armrest boss to stick through. The DS has an easy entry seat so you have to be aware of this when you are finding a suitable position for the armrest and allow enough clearance between the new armrest and the cubby box for the seat to move up and down. It was probably easier on the DS to gain access to the internals of the seat as it has the hard backrest panel similar to an Evoque whereas the Freelander would need the seat cover partially removed to gain access to the inner seat frame. My drive to work today was my first drive in the car since fitting them and I was very pleased with how they have worked out. Thumbs Up

Post #364831 28th Jan 2019 10:14 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I would be way to nervous to start drilling etc into seats on mine so hats off to you for having the courage Thumbs Up

I don't need them in my Evoque but if I was to move to a DS at any point I would have to see how the armrest was for me height wise as im 6'3'' and on some cars its uncomfortable resting my arm on a low armrest

Post #364840 28th Jan 2019 12:02 pm
dondiddy

The armrests could be removed and a plastic blank (or a dummy lumbar adjuster knob)could be fitted to cover the small hole in the seat material if I ever sold it on. I`m a foot shorter than you Rog but still had a list to Port trying to rest my arm on the standard cubby box armrest. Much better now as i`m sitting upright in the seat!

Post #364844 28th Jan 2019 12:58 pm
dondiddy

After 12months of trouble free motoring with the DS I got to looking to see what was for sale on Autotrader(as you do) and ended up with this! Its a late 2015 low mileage D4 HSE Luxury with the addition of surround cameras, black pack, wade sensing and blind spot/reverse traffic detection! Loving the power and 6 cylinder smoothness of the engine which is also Euro 6. Fuel consumption is on a par with the DS at around 36mpg with mixed driving so very pleased with that. Interior is more luxurious than the DS with extended leather on doors and dashtop and it has the command seating position like the Freelander. My favourite thing about it at the moment is the timed/remote climate which is great on a frosty morning! The 1st photo shows it just after I picked it up(clean) and the 3rd photo after a month of ownership (Dirty) It`s a coincidence that it`s the same colour as the DS was!

Post #383682 2nd Jan 2020 9:59 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Lovely motor, enjoy! Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #383688 2nd Jan 2020 10:59 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Ohhhhhhhhhhh nice Thumbs Up
Get a few Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep in there Rolling with laughter

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #383704 3rd Jan 2020 7:56 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Really like the colour combination, something about the Disco 3/4 which makes it a “proper “ Landrover........did you get an extended warranty with it?

I looked at one of these to replace the FFRR but settled on the FL2 for reasons of not being diesel and the V6 snapping crank debacle put us off. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383712 3rd Jan 2020 1:46 pm
dondiddy

Did not bother with the extended warranty as I would rather sort out any issues myself if things so wrong. As with most forums the bad news always seems to float to the top so not overly worried about the Discovery reliability! I bought it from a car supermarket so made a great saving over buying from my local dealer. Just had 4 new tyres, both bottom wishbones,a mirror glass and both batteries replaced before it went up for sale so hopefully no big bills for a while.I`m more worried that I will spend loads on it with upgrades. Already bought a full set of mudflaps,alloy pedal covers, boot liner and a Discovery 5 boot organiser (which is a very good fit with a little trimmed off the front corners) Looking at possibly a winch for it and the kit that lets you operate the parking heater from your phone. Will be fitting the mudflaps, pedals and the rechargeable torch I had in the DS at the weekend! As mentioned it does feel like a real Land Rover as opposed to the more car like DS! Thumbs Up

Post #383719 3rd Jan 2020 3:08 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Very nice Thumbs Up

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #383730 3rd Jan 2020 5:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>