Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Expensive oil change.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

My dealer service manager assured me of the same, telling me that the car was simply counting the number of times the car stopped mid regeneration cycle and the car doesn’t have a clue what state the oil’s in Rolling Eyes

Post #363904 16th Jan 2019 8:52 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So, you’d need to change the oil to be on the safe side AND clear/reset the oil quality warning light. Sounds like a built in moneymaker! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #363906 16th Jan 2019 9:14 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Tigger wrote:
My dealer service manager assured me of the same, telling me that the car was simply counting the number of times the car stopped mid regeneration cycle and the car doesn’t have a clue what state the oil’s in Rolling Eyes

Does this also work in conjunction with the amount of times Adblue is injected? Logically you would think so, but I'm not too clued up with all this euro 6 business. My Freelander just burns any soot off as I drive it from the engine heat....I've never seen a warning to say it's getting full.

Post #363907 16th Jan 2019 9:46 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

AJ918 wrote:
As far as I know Jules is correct it works on the number of times the engine is stop/start and dpf regeneration cycles.

wasn't saying Jules was wrong, I would far rather trust the people on here than pretty much any dealer. Lets face it the same Vauxhall dealer changed the turbo under warranty on the 14 plate Insignia as it kept cutting out to limp mode under boost. Id already told them it was likely the boost actuator which costs £80 instead of the £2k turbo........they changed the actuator and voila !!

Post #363910 17th Jan 2019 8:18 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It's a long topic on the DS site
The software doe s a calculation based on the number of times it has injected fuel on the exhaust stroke (for a regen?) and then at an appropriate time says oil change required. No fancy measurement just a software best guess.

Mine does a 40mile run twice a day and still can't reach 11k miles before it need an oil change - so much for the 21k service interval Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #363930 17th Jan 2019 1:27 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Which makes sense , my Scooby does the same calculations , and has the service interval honestly set at 12k , by which time the oil is creeping up to the high level . The interest thing when you get these euro6 vehicles serviced is to ask how may failed regenerations have taken place v completed regenerations . I was surprised to find how many failed , but then again your car doesn’t know that if it intiates a regen, that you are going to stop at the chip shop 2 minutes afterwards . The biggest failure that I see with all these vehicles is that they would probably fare better getting flogged down the motorway with a decent amount of revs on them , thus reducing failed regenerations and oil dilution . Of course that is diametrically opposite to what a diesel can do in the uk .

On the subject of garage costs , I suppose once you add salary , NI , Pension , holiday pay , sick pay , actual utilisation , £25 per hour is a fair direct cost of a chap on the spanner’s , then multiplying by 3 , 4, or 5 to cover the overhead of main dealers is a fact of life , plus VAT on that ... and it’s easy to see where the eye watering costs come in . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #363932 17th Jan 2019 2:19 pm
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

i know of one manufacture who's vehicles have a message flash up on the dash advising that a regeneration is in progress and not to stop the engine, which makes sense.

Post #363934 17th Jan 2019 2:47 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

In the DS you can in theory tell when a regen is taking place because the stop-start stops working. Unfortunately the stop-start tends not to work anyway (mine has got very erratic) (but luckily not erotic). I'm afraid that Euro6 diesels are just not suited to short journeys, even the ones that don't have the DS basic design problem (read all about it on the DS forum). I think all manufacturers are putting in something similar - the Vauxhall one is a bit strange: my wife's petrol Astra has a nominal 18000 mile or 1 year service interval, but it flags up oil dilution at just under a year. So it's actually just saying "give me a service".
My DS seems to be doing around 10,000 miles before asking for an oil and filter change, which I think is reasonable. The bone of contention is that the oil service counter needs to be reset, so for most people that ties you to a LR dealer with his bespoke software. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #363986 17th Jan 2019 9:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12