Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > JLR redundancies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I was at Bell Engineering yesterday having Haldex service and diff oils changed. Austen is already seeing PTU from 2017 models coming in as refurb scrap. What sort of quality control are LR employing on components for 40k
+ products that allows something as major as the PTU to strip splines after less than 2 years ?

yes things fail, even on 'premium' cars, I accept that. What I don't accept is that essential but basic components fail on a seemingly regular basis and JLR show a total lack of respect to a customer who has paid a lot of money for a premium brand/service.

Post #363762 15th Jan 2019 9:22 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I recall reading some years ago that Ford would sometimes send their engineers out to go around scrap yards looking at old but current models in various states of decay and trying to decide which components had been over engineered and could be in line for cost reduction ie they had outlasted the rest of the car. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #363767 15th Jan 2019 10:28 am
gavinmellis

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

RogB wrote:
I was at Bell Engineering yesterday having Haldex service and diff oils changed. Austen is already seeing PTU from 2017 models coming in as refurb scrap. What sort of quality control are LR employing on components for 40k
+ products that allows something as major as the PTU to strip splines after less than 2 years ?

yes things fail, even on 'premium' cars, I accept that. What I don't accept is that essential but basic components fail on a seemingly regular basis and JLR show a total lack of respect to a customer who has paid a lot of money for a premium brand/service.

Having spent 4 years working for a company that manufactured Blocks and Heads for JLR, the news does not surprise me sad as it is. EMC always seemed to have twice as many Managers / Engineers than required, but I think this was because half of them had no idea what they were doing! Some of the rubbish they came up with was outstanding at times!

Post #363804 15th Jan 2019 5:57 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

...... more Managers / Engineers than required, but I think this was because half of them had no idea what they were doing! Some of the rubbish they came up with was outstanding at times!......

Not unique to LR I'm afraid, I work with some very well qualified "Engineers" who have never picked up spanner, they can come up with some absolutely amazing ideas - right up to actually building a very expensive "perpetual motion machine"
I think they called it heat recovery, problem is it was recovering heat from the environment in a room, so as the room cooled it became less and less efficient, it also relied on motors that were 100% efficient !

Don't get me wrong some are very very clever and will occasionally listen to old guys with oil under their fingernails, but they tend to be the ones who quietly get on with the job in hand, and so get shouted down by the noisy over confident ones.

rant over Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #363835 15th Jan 2019 11:38 pm
dorsetfreelander

I worked for a big IT company (ICL) where it was recognised that you didn't need to become a manager to get on and so there were effectively 3 career streams. Sales, Technical and Mangement. At the top of the technical side was a group of company "Fellows": about 15 highly respected individuals appointed by the CEO that were given tenure ie they could not be sacked and were given an open brief to make themselves useful wherever they liked. I had a short spell in management early on and discovered that the job consisted of lots of boring stuff like budgeting, scheduling shifts and appraisals but you often had people reporting to you who were a lot more senior and higher paid than yourself so you had to be careful how you handled them. I am always surprised that this model of organisation isn't used very often. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #363851 16th Jan 2019 10:34 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Ha ha Dorset...I had a short spell with ICL back in the 80's prior to Fujitsu swallowing them up - DRS/1 anyone? Laughing

Post #363853 16th Jan 2019 10:40 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

oddly enough I currently earn more than my boss Whistle Rolling with laughter

Post #363870 16th Jan 2019 12:51 pm
dorsetfreelander

oddly enough I currently earn more than my boss

Yes my pension is bigger than my wife's. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #363916 17th Jan 2019 10:58 am
Largered

Yes my pension is bigger than my wife's.

Gender Equality / Gender Pay Gap

[/i]

Post #363917 17th Jan 2019 11:38 am
booktrunk

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

It's horrible to all of those involved, but if you look the beeb thing saying about it showed the amount of staff in the company and it's gone up by about the amount they are removing over the last 3 years, so the actual amount left will be about what it was 3 years ago. 2010 Freelander2 TD4_e GS
--
"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Post #363940 17th Jan 2019 5:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12