Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Heater blower stopped working - Advice needed - Solved!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Heater blower stopped working - Advice needed - Solved!

Hi all,

Today I found my heater blower not working at any speed. The motor has made a slight noise at certain speeds for a year now, but today it packed up. I guess that the motor it self is the culprit and needs to be replaced, but are there any other components that need attention/checking before I proceed? How accessible is the fan motor on this car? Its a LHD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by MRRover75 on 23rd Jan 2019 12:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #363751 15th Jan 2019 7:32 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would check the fuse just rule it out.

Post #363758 15th Jan 2019 8:35 am
MRRover75

Fuse checked/swapped and found OK Sad

Post #363779 15th Jan 2019 11:07 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes that would be too good to have worked,wiring check would be next if you know someone who’s good with a circuit tester that would help,worse case I suppose the motor has had it.

Post #363784 15th Jan 2019 12:04 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Seem to remember talk of a fancy rheostat or similar somewhere in the circuit. I would try and find the motor feed and see if it works with a direct feed, at least it would rule that unit in or out. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363786 15th Jan 2019 12:18 pm
MRRover75

Yes, Correct. I have done some research and reading since the last post. I reads that there is a fan relay/control unit between the fan motor and heater control unit. This relay adjusts the voltage to the fan motor depending on the input (speed) from the heater control unit. I reads that somebody with the same problem has got the fan running again by bypassing this relay for a few seconds making the fan running at full power, then everything works when plugged back in. Seems like that frees up the fan motor but its already on its last days as brushes and/or bearings are probably worn.
I tried to access to this connector for doing this with a paper clip, but its pretty tight around the relay. Seems that I need to remove the accelerator pedal to gain access (LHD)

I have already placed an order for a new fan motor from Island 4x4, make Hella for £35 +VAT. Mine is on its last days anyway, and hopefully its the culprit. A special tool is needed for installation/removal but I will try to manufacture this in a manner.

Post #363787 15th Jan 2019 12:45 pm
Yorky Bob

Thumbs Up FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363788 15th Jan 2019 12:55 pm
MRRover75

I bypassed the relay and blower went to life. Plugged everything back in and things works normally. I guess the motor is worn and stopped in a bad position, needing extra power to get rotating. Will be replaced!

Post #363805 15th Jan 2019 5:57 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Check that no water is getting into the HVAC unit, often through the seal between the screen and the plastic trim panel above the HVAC inlet under the bonnet. This water can reach the motor brushes and make them rust, then the motor will stop but can be freed off as you describe.

Post #363816 15th Jan 2019 7:19 pm
MRRover75

Fan stopped working in the same way this morning Very Happy

Post #364268 21st Jan 2019 7:49 am
MRRover75

Fan replaced, everything working nicely now. PITA describes more or less how the job was, but finished at the end. The old motor was partially seized in some positions, so that explains why it had stopped working. I did not bother to look for its fault, so that one got binned pretty quick Smile I had to cut away the old fan and make a suitable tool to get enough torque to release the fan motor. Installation went nicely and I managed to rotate it in locked position from the other end.

Post #364463 23rd Jan 2019 12:07 pm
Yorky Bob

Full marks for ingenuity making the tool. Was this to spin it in the casing and release it as I am now assuming its a push and turn fit.

I wonder how hard it is on right hand drive cars to change as the steering column may stop easy access/ FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #364464 23rd Jan 2019 12:16 pm
MRRover75

Correct! its just a "turn" 10 degree fit and then a locking tab holds it in position. A quite amount of torque is needed the release it from the locking tab, hence the need for the tool. My tool does the job, but can not be used on a motor that is planned to be re-used. LR has a special tool for this operation, but of course this one is not accessible for the DIY-er Very Happy

I have had a quick look in the LR repair manual for the RHD car. As everything seems to be mirrored, the procedure is exact the same except for that the clutch pedal assembly needs to be removed for access to the back side of the motor. The blower for the RHD cars have a different part no than the LHD`s.

P.S.

This video shows the procedure for the LHD version. That guy has made a tool more similar to LR`s :

Post #364467 23rd Jan 2019 12:31 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Why oh why couldnt the motor be held in place with a few screws or nuts & bolts. Why does it need to have a special tool; its not a thermonuclear device for goodness sake, its just a fan motor.
When we should be considering sustainability, recycling and the repairing of older vehicles this sort of thing is so unnecessary IMO.

IIRC there is a move from the EU to persuade manufacturers to make their products more easily repairable and less disposable by necessity.

I guess some companies are better than others; I replaced the blower motor on my dad's Merc C class last year - easy peasy in comparison and no special tools needed.

I take my hat of to Dyson - his vacuum cleaners are repairable and very easy to disassemble with ordinary tools (DC39 brush head)

Jules

Post #364490 23rd Jan 2019 9:35 pm
MRRover75

Hi Jules,

Your comments are spot on! Why the h@ll is it necessary with special tools for this operation??
IIRC, I read somewhere that a modern car is designed to last for 8 years. This may explain why so many details starts to wear out on our older cars and that many items designed to last for the "lifetime" of the car is so hard to replace??

Post #364510 24th Jan 2019 8:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>