« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > retrofit electric seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
trev74

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
retrofit electric seats

I have a 2010 Freelander 2 td4 gs and as I live in the cold north (Scotland) would like to put heated if poss but electric seats into it currently it has bog standard cloth interior.
1) can I fit heated/electric seats?
2) which fl2 donor cars can I get the parts from?
3) will the fit straight in?
I am no Mechanic but can work my way round a car and usually fix them but could use some guidance sourcing and fitting if poss electric/heated seats and what parts I do actually need.
thanks

Post #344768 12th Mar 2018 8:12 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Have you had a look at the wiring diagram here;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2943.html

Heated seats are controlled by the 'Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning' (HVAC) control panel which sends instructions by LIN BUS to the heat heater module (bolted to the underside of the heated seat). You'll need to find a HVAC panel that is the right age for the car AND has heated seat buttons in order to turn them on and off. You'll also need to supply power from the rear fuse box (means taking the rear seats out) to each seat heater control module, and a ground (which is a pretty short run to the body under each seat).

If your car has no existing heated seats then I suspect the wiring wont be pre fit to the car, but it might be worth having a look under the seat. I would expect wires for the seat belts and seat belt pre-tensioners.

Of course you'll then need to change the car config so that the HVAC panel knows it has heated seats to control.

Not easy peasey, but probably not too difficult, mostly nuts and bolts with a few lengths of wire to run.

Post #344776 12th Mar 2018 9:14 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Have you used the search button ?

I think its reported on older cars its a bit of an issue trying to fit more modern car seat units. May be best to do some searching until someone turns up with detailed knowledge as its not something done all that often. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344777 12th Mar 2018 9:16 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

As said above do not fit my13 seats on to an earlier car as electrics do not work correctly,I fitted my12 seats into my my13 car and the seat forward/backward adjustment would only work in small increments when joggling the switch,all other features worked correctly. Shocked

Post #344780 12th Mar 2018 9:54 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

It should be possible to fit older (pre-Face-lift?) heated seats to your 2010 GS, and I suspect that the wiring may already be there. But I don’t think they did the full electric-chair ( Shocked ) thing at that time.

But living where you do, your biggest problem might be finding suitable seats locally...especially if I see them first! Smile 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #344781 12th Mar 2018 10:10 pm
trev74

I can get my hands on a written off 2011 for £500, it was rolled so its fairy mashed up but inside is not too bad as far as the seats go. I can get the HVAC from it and all seats and wiring. as im changing the seats anyway then adding the wiring from the boot fuse box wont be a issue.
the only thing I don't know how to do then will be to config the HVAC to the car to make the heated seats work.
on another note there is quite a few parts I can salvage from the car inc new tyres, 2 alloys 1/2 of the engine and a few other bits I can sell. its just a shame the sat nav system is smashed beyond repair and the dash minced more or less.
I will look under mine tomorrow if I get time and see what's under my seats., a stroke of luck everything I need will already be there. fingers crossed

Vanny wrote:

Heated seats are controlled by the 'Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning' (HVAC) control panel which sends instructions by LIN BUS to the heat heater module (bolted to the underside of the heated seat). You'll need to find a HVAC panel that is the right age for the car AND has heated seat buttons in order to turn them on and off. You'll also need to supply power from the rear fuse box (means taking the rear seats out) to each seat heater control module, and a ground (which is a pretty short run to the body under each seat).

If your car has no existing heated seats then I suspect the wiring wont be pre fit to the car, but it might be worth having a look under the seat. I would expect wires for the seat belts and seat belt pre-tensioners.

Of course you'll then need to change the car config so that the HVAC panel knows it has heated seats to control.

Not easy peasey, but probably not too difficult, mostly nuts and bolts with a few lengths of wire to run.

Post #344784 12th Mar 2018 10:18 pm
trev74

TBH the heated seats will be a luxury, even normal leather electric seats would do at a push.

Worms wrote:
It should be possible to fit older (pre-Face-lift?) heated seats to your 2010 GS, and I suspect that the wiring may already be there. But I don’t think they did the full electric-chair ( Shocked ) thing at that time.

But living where you do, your biggest problem might be finding suitable seats locally...especially if I see them first! Smile

Post #344786 12th Mar 2018 10:21 pm
trev74

there was a guy out by carron by aberlour years ago, he was a LR breaker but that was 20 odd year ago lol , dunno if he is still around?

Post #344787 12th Mar 2018 10:23 pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

If you can get a complete car as a write off as you say, it should be a fairly straight forward task to strip both cars down side by side & swap the bits across into yours - take complete wiring harness from the rear fuse box & transplant to your car etc. The HVAC can be enabled by your local Indy or worst case (cost wise) at the stealers. Go for it & if you do maybe take lots of photos & do a 'how to' for the forum so others can follow your lead Thumbs Up

Post #344810 13th Mar 2018 9:01 am
ronp

Scotland 

I fitted a full HSE leather interior (heated/electric seats & door cards) to my MY11 Dec 2010 GS.
It was a straight forward plug n play for me (but I already had heated seats), and with no configuration required. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #344815 13th Mar 2018 10:14 am
LRJimmy

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Guys,
Did this ever get completed? I'm thinking of putting 2010 electric seats into my 2009 GSe. Other than the dash mounted HEVAC switch box on the dash I guess there would be some fuses / relay modules needed in the boot?
Anyone got a clearer breakdown as the wiring diagram looks Chinese to me...as it I can't really understand it?
Thanks
jimmy 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4
72 S3, 6cyl 109 Truck Cab

Post #354417 4th Aug 2018 11:59 am
LRJimmy

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

OCD is a terrible thing so I’m compelled to finish what I started – if it helps someone else out then all the better for this specific task of fitting electric seats with heaters.
Mine is a 2009 model that had all the wiring in the loom plugs below the seats except for the ones that go to the heated seat module. Below is the photo of my driver’s side plug showing the empty slots in the top left.

Simply put, I managed to find a breaker that was willing to strip the loom out of another car and get me the wires needed – more importantly him doing this allowed me to know exactly where to tie back into the main loom where the switch signal comes from.

First off I got the new dash switch module with heated seat controls which is a straight swap out for the original unit. (from the same helpful man than sold the seats and loom wires).
Then using the wires he provided I wired it up;

Drivers Side
Grey – Permanent Live supply from the boot fusebox – fuse FB3
Black – Ground
Brown with Violet – Switched live

Passenger Side
Purple – Permanent Live supply from the boot fusebox – fuse FB4
Black and Blue – Ground
White with Green – Switched live

Here is the boot fusebox underside showing FB3 & 4 – the power is already there from the busbar seen in the row underneath the purple and grey wires.

Click image to enlarge

Drivers side plug is next showing the wires already in place

Now the passenger side plug below the seat

Ok, some might have noticed these are not in the car yet as I was sitting in my kitchen when I took these photos but all I did was release the original pins from these plug connectors and snap them into place in my ones

Finally I connected the switched lives into this green connector which is found under the carpet of the passenger side footwell just to the lower left of the glovebox fusebox. White with green, and Brown with violet are seen in the middle left of the photo. I disconnected the connector from its female counterpart then again because I had the OEM wires they simply snapped into place in my socket. Hardest part is removing the wires from the donor socket seen here, you need to take out a plastic retainer from the inside of the plug (not seen in photo) then tease each one out which is a little fiddly but with patience I got there. Incidentally you will see plenty places where you can attach the ground wires to the chassis just below each seat.

Then comes the most annoying part – you need to get someone with an OEM computer to plug into your cars OBDM socket and tell it there are now heated seats as by default your ECU won’t know and will not allow your new switches to send any power to the seats. Another money making scheme no doubt! 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4
72 S3, 6cyl 109 Truck Cab

Post #356953 15th Sep 2018 11:39 am
nexodus

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Vanny wrote:

Have i to programm the Lin Bus to make the Seat heating work?? Embarassed

Post #363560 12th Jan 2019 4:26 pm
Capomik

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Barolo Black

Hello everyone
I'm just trying this thread, I have a 2007 model with seat heating, I have bought electrically adjustable seats with heating in, that is, I only have to connect the electrical part, it works until it should be simple, a dealer tells me to use some relays, hmm but they are probably already under my new seats, is there anyone who can guide me in that.
thanks

Post #396202 27th Aug 2020 5:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Capomik

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Barolo Black

??

Post #396242 28th Aug 2020 4:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>