« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > MY2010 Clicking noise when selecting Reverse or Drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sidvinnon

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
MY2010 Clicking noise when selecting Reverse or Drive

When parked and changing from reverse to drive or vice-versa, after around 2 seconds there seems to be a pretty loud and unusual metallic clicking sound coming from behind the front left wheel area. See the following video to hear it:

(My glamorous assistant is inside the car switching between R and D intermittently)

Here's a condensed back story that may help diagnose it:

Got failed rear diff changed over for a reconditioned upgraded one.

Soon after getting home noticed clunky creaking sound coming from rear when switching to reverse and then reversing, figured diff was faulty or not installed properly.

Whilst out a few days later I took out FB6 fuse in rear fuse box and noise stopped happening so knew it was something diff related. Stupidly started to drive short journey home with fuse still out and handbrake still on Sad

About 200 metres after setting off whole car started vibrating quite violently. Immediately stopped and realised handbrake was still on so took it off and vibration seemed to stop.

Got home, put fuse back in.

Got my socket set out and tightened up all bolts on the diff mountings, noticing the 2 x 15mm bolts were not tight at all. Checked and rear creaking noise was gone!! Smile

Then suddenly noticed the noise above which definitely wasn't there previously Crying or Very sad

So I don't know if removing the fuse and driving has caused this or having the handbrake on, or neither and it's just coincidence.

I'm not even sure what is in that area behind the wheel that could be making this awful noise, but it doesn't sound good.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by sidvinnon on 11th Jan 2019 1:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #337632 20th Dec 2017 3:31 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Similar to an exhaust pipe expanding noise as it goes from cold to hot FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #337764 22nd Dec 2017 4:22 am
sidvinnon

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Just an update on this. It was tracked down to be the nearside front drive shaft that had some play in it and the noise was the bearings inside the wheel end crunching about, when changing between D and R the whole engine and gearbox sort of moves which in turn was moving the loose drive shaft causing the noise. Drive shaft was replaced and the noise was gone. I am not holding my breath about it staying gone though.

Since then I've started to get what I think is the front diff/transfer box whining, I think this because driving with FB6 fuse removed makes no difference and neither does sharp turning, ruling out wheel bearings as well.

I can't help thinking all these problems are related, absolutely had enough of this piece of junk and am selling it once it's in saleable condition.

Post #363506 11th Jan 2019 12:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1