Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > HB3 headlight bulb conversion; halogen to LED?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

lanryHappy wrote:
I did an LED conversion over December because changing halogens every 45-60days became old!
Purchased this: https://www.banggood.com/LED-Headlight-Kit...rehouse=CN

It fits tightly in the light housing. The beam spread is way to high, and carries no distance. Close up it is very white and bright. At 12v 3A, only 36 watts!
I wish I could manipulate the focus to get a better beam.

Oh well Big Cry

Hoping for a nice LED bulb to come along.

As described in the video above - the poor beam is probably because your LEDs are not emitting light from the same point as the OEM bulb filament. The LED has to be designed with its diode/s as near to centre of the long axis of the unit as possible in order to mimic the halogen filament - a few mm away will make quite a difference to where the light is focused by the reflectors. Jules

Post #362985 3rd Jan 2019 2:34 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:
Yes I saw that on Ebay - but its always "out of stock" in the orange bar at the top of the page whenever Ive searched before.

I hadn't spotted that... a US supplier...https://www.roverjaguarparts.com/oem-parts...p-lr081691. Will allow you to add the part to the basket... not cheap though and this company will not ship internationally. It suggests that the thing is not totally extinct though.

Couldn't these parts be made up by somebody with a bit of electronics nous and appropriate connectors?

Post #362987 3rd Jan 2019 3:06 pm
jules

Happy Nomad: "Couldn't these parts be made up by somebody with a bit of electronics nous and appropriate connectors?"

I was hoping that someone on here might know the specifications of the "Resistor Fix" as finding it in the UK is now looking doubtful.

FWIW I messaged the Ebay seller - they are not expecting to have any. Jules

Post #362995 3rd Jan 2019 6:12 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Censored disgraceful that they will no longer do a fix on their own cock up. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #363047 4th Jan 2019 12:25 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Shocked

The cars been obsolete for how long now? All are outwith the manufactures standard 3 year warranty.

I bought a pair of brand new MY15 Metropolis headlamps and I’ve never looked back tbh.

Luckily JLR made it a piece of cake to remove the headlight and change the bulbs anyway Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #363049 4th Jan 2019 12:56 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

If a four year old car is accident damaged then, it possibly can't be repaired to its original pre-accident condition because the car is 'obsolete' and parts are no longer available?

I thought this in another thread in which somebody said that the plastic door rubbing strips are no longer available... what happens in the event of accident repairs where a replacement is needed?

Post #363055 4th Jan 2019 2:48 pm
jules

LR NUT wrote:
Shocked

The cars been obsolete for how long now? All are outwith the manufactures standard 3 year warranty.

I bought a pair of brand new MY15 Metropolis headlamps and I’ve never looked back tbh.

Luckily JLR made it a piece of cake to remove the headlight and change the bulbs anyway Thumbs Up

How complicated is it to upgrade a MY14 car with halogens to HID ? What about the self-levelling? Jules

Post #363074 4th Jan 2019 5:51 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

You need to have the CCF enabled to take Xenons I got Mikey to do mine took literally a few minutes if that. JLR themselves don’t have access to edit the CCF for Xenons but most good Indy’s will. Install new lights the harness and wiring is all the same therefore it’s a plug and played . The self levelling will not work but you can still manually adjust the lights via the dash scroller and there is adjustments on the actual headlight itself.

I took mine to an MOT test centre to check the adjustment and it just needed a little tweak. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #363077 4th Jan 2019 6:12 pm
JulesK

LR NUT wrote:
Shocked

Luckily JLR made it a piece of cake to remove the headlight and change the bulbs anyway Thumbs Up

Well not everyone's in the position to fork out for new headlamps and as for being obsolete, we are in a bad place if a bit of wire is obsolete. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #363081 4th Jan 2019 6:29 pm
JulesK

HappyNomad wrote:
If a four year old car is accident damaged then, it possibly can't be repaired to its original pre-accident condition because the car is 'obsolete' and parts are no longer available?

I thought this in another thread in which somebody said that the plastic door rubbing strips are no longer available... what happens in the event of accident repairs where a replacement is needed?

Agreed Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #363082 4th Jan 2019 6:30 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Not sure why people are getting worked up about "obsolete parts" that were intended for a specific Vin range only and their car has already had the fix! Neutral Same applies to accessories that might no longer be available from a main dealer to repair accident damage. You cannot expect any manufacturer to keep loads of old stock just in case in todays financial climate. As for rubbing strips Matford (site sponsors) have loads available so no need to worry on that count! Thumbs Up

Post #363090 4th Jan 2019 8:08 pm
jules

LR NUT wrote:

I took mine to an MOT test centre to check the adjustment and it just needed a little tweak.

I thought HID lights needed to be self-levelling to be legal, but Ive read through MOT documents and it seems manual levelling will do.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syst...-draft.pdf

You are definitely not allowed to put HID bulbs in halogen light units - with good reason. Jules

Post #363094 4th Jan 2019 8:33 pm
jules

dondiddy wrote:
Not sure why people are getting worked up about "obsolete parts" that were intended for a specific Vin range only and their car has already had the fix!

Our MY14 seems to have the same problem as the cars which were offered the "resistor fix", yet its VIN is not on the list of applicable vehicles.

Not getting worked up but simply seeking to improve things because:
Im on my 4th set of bulbs.
But also :
The trouble with only having one bulb for main and dipped is that you lose everything on that side when it blows.
The coverage and brightness is not as good as our previous FL2 which had twin halogens bulbs. Jules

Post #363095 4th Jan 2019 8:46 pm
JulesK

Jules as I live out in the sticks I have noticed a huge difference with the lamps I had fitted which is in a earlier post in this thread but the original lamps were way to yellow in the lanes and as you say when one goes you are knackered. Shocked

Still carry spare though Whistle If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #363100 4th Jan 2019 11:02 pm
jules

Another HB3 blew last night. Evil or Very Mad Jules

Post #365197 1st Feb 2019 8:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>