Home > Technical > Engine reduced performence
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Adyson

Sweden 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Alaska White
Engine reduced performence

Hi!

I've got the Engine reduced performance in the center display and the yellow Engine sign.

When I got the car I've noticed some oil residue on the back side of engine and I figured a gentle clean would sort this problem Idea and after I (very gently from a distance) high water pressured it, I went back home after a short trip (25km) at motorway(?) speed 110 km/hour.
After I went of the motorway, I came to a halt and the car showed Reduced performance (max 3000 rpm)

I cycled the ignition, the car performed like normal but the yellow Engine sign stayed on. A km later on the reduced performance got back. I do have Nanocom Evo and tried to figure out the fault but no luck at all and neither Clear all fault did the trick.

Sins then I've blown, with high pressure air, all visible electric contacts and with electric cleaner, cleaned some of the connections but the Censored yellow engine sign is still there.

Now! I've gone thru some topics in here but I cant relate any to my problem. I got a date with the local garage to see if they can see what fault it is and hopefully clear the fault.

First thing that struck my mind was the flaps but could they cause this reduced engine performance?

A funny thing thou (not) I had a 2003 Freelander, a 2003 Disco II and a 2009 Disco 3 and the only car without any problem so far was the Freelander. My wife have a Freelander HSE 2008 now for three years now and only thing we have done to it is normal filter and oil service and rear bearings and shocks.
As you know the Disco's caused owners at lot of problems and a lot more of "spondoliks" so my new FL2 should be trouble free... well sort of Big Cry

Sorry about the long ranter... Banging Head

Post #362909 2nd Jan 2019 2:20 pm
Adyson

Update!

Went to the bank (20 min drive) and noticed that the car performed without any hesitation. However when I went back home the car went in a limp mode. I stopped a few blocks from the bank and recycled the ignition.
The yellow engine lamp went of but reduced engine performance was still on. Tried to clear the faults with my Nanocom. Started the engine again and went of. After a bit the reduced performance got back but I went back home anyway. In a crossing I recycled the ignition and the car performed good again but after a few KM I felt the reduced performance again. I turned back for home after a U turn and the car performed better.

Could the fault disappear, I'm guessing now, after a while? Yes I know your guess is good as mine but any thoughts?

Post #362910 2nd Jan 2019 3:39 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

EGR valve / unit possibly. When cold it will work but as soon as it warms up when faulty will fail into limp mode. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #362911 2nd Jan 2019 3:42 pm
Adyson

Cheers Bob Thumbs Up

If it is the EGR valve and when it’s hot, it doesn’t make sense cause it went in and out in Limp mode last stretch.
I will make a update tomorrow Idea FL2 2009 S Alaska White

Post #362929 2nd Jan 2019 6:48 pm
Adyson

Update!

Been to the mechanic and looked at his OBD reader (Bosch)

There where some faults but the interesting ones was the EGR valve.
He cycled the EGR valve but recommended me to give the EGR a overhaul and a good clean.

I suppose the EGR valve is situated behind the motor? Just to make it easy to access Rolling Eyes

I noticed a strange thing on the test drive after this visit. When the engine came to reduced performance and restricted me to rev above 3000 rpm, all I had to do is do a complete stop of the car,(without turning ignition off) cycle trans lever true D to P and then to D. After this cycle the car went well Shocked

When I lift the gas to idle or floor it, it turned to reduced performance. I'll guess it have to do with valve in EGR had to turn.

Any thoughts? FL2 2009 S Alaska White

Post #362981 3rd Jan 2019 2:39 pm
Adyson

I forgot to mention my faults:

Nanocom
Code B110A Rear driver side central locking motor )Intermittent) GENERAL ELECTRIC FAILURE

Code U0300 Internal control module software incompatibly (Intermittent) SYSTEM PROGRAMMING FAILURE

Code U2101 Control module configuration incompatible (Intermittent) GENERAL FAILURE INFORMATION FL2 2009 S Alaska White

Post #362982 3rd Jan 2019 2:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1