« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC problems - Starting issues - Extra Earth Lead Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 16 <123 ... 13 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
N885Carter

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black
On the same thing....

Removed my stereo and car won’t start ! I’m getting HDC System fault now ! Checks all plugs and connectors and refitted stereo but car won’t start , and getting that message Sad

Any clues ?

Was perfect before... wish I had not started !

Post #349498 14th May 2018 2:46 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Could you provide a bit more information. Why did you remove the stereo for example, how old is the battery, any fault messages on the display, does the engine turn over (crank) etc, etc

Post #349500 14th May 2018 2:52 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Low battery voltage? You would be surprised how quickly the battery drains if you have the doors open /radio on etc when you are working on it. But as Dennij says a bit more info is needed when you say won`t start please! Thumbs Up

Post #349545 15th May 2018 8:41 am
BenFL2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Buckingham Blue

I've been suffering a few issues as reported by others in this thread (transmission fault, traction reduced being a poignant error I get often).

The other night, after a day of off-roading, she wouldn't start after being parked up for a few hours. It was about 10 degrees C outside. No error messages or warning lights. Just a single click from the starter motor on the press of the button.

I called the RAC out and they at first thought it to be starter motor gone but then connected a negative jump lead from the battery negative terminal to a bolt on the engine and voila, she starter straight away.

The engineer then concluded it was a faulty engine earth somewhere and we traced the biggest earth cable we could find in the engine bay and wiggled it with the engine running, causing the RPM to fluctuate - confirming the engineers diagnosis.

He fitted a temporary extra earth from an original earth connection in the engine bay to the gearbox casing but advised me to replace the faulty earth ASAP.

I want to trace it and inspect it/clean it up, looks like it goes off behind the N/S front wheel - can anyone give me anymore information on this connection please, i.e. location etc. Thank you 2018 - 2007 '56 manual HSE Freelander 2

Post #360369 13th Nov 2018 12:02 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Battery earth

Hi the main battery earth is behind the battery to the right looking from thr front.diconnrct the battery and remove it will give you more space to get to the bolt.give it a good clean on the bulkhead and check the condition of the lead.i would also leave the extra earth lead fitted by the as/rac it's a std mod.
Bob.

Post #362759 31st Dec 2018 9:49 am
arcturus28

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hi all,

I'm going to fit an extra earth lead; is this lead from ebay suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170-Amp-Car-Bat...1515635836
(36inch, 10mm and 8mm)

Also, do I need anything else on hand such as nuts/washers etc? Thanks Smile)

Post #365313 2nd Feb 2019 2:49 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I think that’s the same one I got,cables is good and thick I had to file out a bit of the battery casing where the rubber grommet is to make the battery cover fit well.

Post #365315 2nd Feb 2019 3:41 pm
SYFL2

All the nuts are there for you on the car a washer on the starter motor end maybe a good idea but not essential.

Post #365316 2nd Feb 2019 3:42 pm
arcturus28

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Thank you SYFL2. For a few quid this has to be worth a go; hopefully it'll resolve a few electrical glitches.

Post #365317 2nd Feb 2019 3:59 pm
SYFL2

It did on mine Thumbs Up

Post #365354 2nd Feb 2019 9:49 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just did the mod on my i6 (slightly different fixing required) all nice and neat with protective nylon anti cut sleeving and heat shrink on the actual connector to cable joints, checked the resistances all very low, but unfortunately made no difference to my non start issue.......maybe it is the starter motor?

Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #368891 23rd Mar 2019 7:23 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Why is the regular earth lead for the Diesel different to, and much more expensive than, the one for the petrol FL2 - see photo?

And if fitting the second earth lead to a diesel, what size cable to use? Cable rated at 170A is about 10mm diameter and 240A cable is about 12mm. Is it feasible, or necessary, to fit the 240A cable?

Post #378845 25th Sep 2019 7:44 pm
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Having had mega problems with my HSE TD4 FL2, in the French Alps, especially at minus 17 degrees C .... I added a braided earth strap from the battery earth to a lower starter motor bolts ( one of three) ... Just do it ! Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #380380 27th Oct 2019 9:50 pm
AndreO

South Africa 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had the same symptoms...key fob being ejected, worse still being swallowed and unable to eject...I read this forum about the extra earth cable and my common sense still evades me - how can an extra cable stop the key being swallowed? Well, I tried it. and my problems have gone for 2 years now...it still baffles me though.

BUT: my oldest and most used key fob started giving issues. Sometimes not ejecting, sometimes not being pulled in. Then somewhere a clever form guy said these symptoms were mostly common to woman drivers. It originates from the hand cream before going shopping, etc. The rubber casing around the key swells and sticks in the slot. I carefully sanded down both sides of the fob on a belt sander until it was the same thickness of the 'new' virtually unused fob. It had grown by about 0.020". Yes, I had to remove the nice white decals on the face side, but the key now get pulled in smoothly in and out.

Post #385985 6th Feb 2020 4:26 pm
haasad

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Manual Orkney Grey

Just got my 06 F2 TD4 HSE. It was the right price for 100k miles and is utterly mint. I knew it may have a starting issue some times and about this earth fix.
So true to form odd warnings and lights behaviour HDC column lock Special Programmes all coming up on the dash in no particular sequence. Won't start then clears and off she goes.

Checked today and it has an additional earth but not direct to the starter motor I can easily address that as I'm more than capable with cars. I noticed that wear on the Denso starter solenoid terminals can be a problem too. I've ordered one of the repair kits to replace the contacts this weekend . Hopefully all will be well after since both issues can cause current drain / demand which might upset the very binary systems in its computers.
I'll keep you posted or come looking for more places to look for faults...🤔

Post #387907 9th Mar 2020 5:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 16 <123 ... 13 141516>