« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Ferroli Boilers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black
Ferroli Boilers

Hi, I need some advice about a boiler if anyone can help?

My mum has just moved into a bungalow, it has a 6 year old Ferroli combi boiler in the house, it’s loosing its pressure every few days. Ive had this on my own boiler and was an easy fix but I’ve read some bad things about Ferroli boilers, namely cheap, nasty and expensive to repair. I just wondered if it’s worth considering replacing the boiler with a good brand boiler? Has anyone any experience of Ferroli boilers? Are they cheap and nasty or are they an ok boiler?

My mum has got dementia so I don’t want to leave her with a poor quality boiler that could break down often. Also, does anyone know how long it would take a good plumber to replace a boiler?

Many thanks for any advice! Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #361944 13th Dec 2018 7:24 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Remove the boiler carefully from the wall drive to Dover and throw it over the cliff. If you want to replace it and I would as they are Censored buy an Ideal logic +or Ideal logic Vouge. One combi out and a new one fitted should only take a day a bit longer if you have the system power flushed it is recommended prior to a new installation. The pressure drop could be a few things, low or no air pressure in the expansion vessel, leaking rad valve or pipe with the water evaporating so you don't notice, the safety valve passing. Hard to tell without seeing it
There is I believe a 10 warranty with the Vouge

Post #361948 13th Dec 2018 7:40 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Had the same with my mum, she had a biasi boiler, same age. That kept losing pressure. She had it fixed once (expansion vessel) then it went again two years later. I told her to cut her losses and get it replaced. She had a Worcester Bosch one fitted and it cost around £1900 to replace including a power flush by a local independant installer. Done in a day. I now have peace of mind that she won’t be left in the cold. Don’t waste your time with British Gas. Okay but I had a quote of £3,400 from them to replace my boiler and I got one the same make but next size up (Vaillant) fitted for £1,800 by a Vaillant approved installer with a 7 year guarantee. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 13th Dec 2018 7:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #361949 13th Dec 2018 7:43 pm
archie98

Don't use BG far too expensive use a local trusted company
Valliant is the posh version of Glowworm

Last edited by archie98 on 13th Dec 2018 7:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #361950 13th Dec 2018 7:45 pm
Stevie5tapes

Thanks Archie, I know a plumber, I’ll get him to have a look at it and see what he says. I’ve just been looking on the net and I am actually amazed how poor the reviews are for Ferroli boilers! Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #361951 13th Dec 2018 7:46 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I have a Biasi 28kW bought in 2005, have had a problem every 4-5 years with igniter PCB failure, bought 2 new ones, one went again in Sept, checked the board and found a few dry joints, re soldered, that fixed it so checked the previous one that failed and again dry joints so now have two spares. The other spare is really only an emergency spare as it has severely burnt track which has been repaired by jumper leads.
The boiler is now showing signs of leaks in some of the valves, I am out in Cyprus and son who's living in the house doesn't quite have my patients or skill in fixing things in tight spaces. Thinking of getting the 35kW one with seven year warranty straight swap even the flue, should only take 3-4 hour including pressure purge and magnetic filter. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #361955 13th Dec 2018 10:10 pm
archie98

Why the bigger kW boiler almost all combi boiler's will not exceed 24kw max on the heating the extra kW will only be for the hot water.

Post #361957 13th Dec 2018 10:30 pm
Dartman the one

England 

That's true, but it means that more than one person can get a decent shower, the house is single storey with a pipe run of 45ft to the furthest shower, next being 25ft and 20ft for the nearest shower, with a pressure of 3+ bar there comes a time when the shower is not quite warm enough but the flow is good. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #361962 14th Dec 2018 6:19 am
Stevie5tapes

Update

My plumber looked at my mums boiler today and basically said he wouldn’t attempt to repair as it could cause other issues that he didn’t want to be held responsible for. Kind of guessed that from what I’ve read in the net about these boilers. So in the first week of January my mum is getting a new boiler. My plumber is going to fit a decent boiler with a 5 year warranty so that’s one less thing to worry about. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #362243 20th Dec 2018 12:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1