Home > My Freelander 2 > Heroic glow plug change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dragore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver
Heroic glow plug change

Hi all,

Sorry for this post but I am feeling quite chuffed with myself and only you guys would understand my reasoning Very Happy

I got a dreaded engine management light on last week when starting my Baby early doors, came home from work via a friends garage and got the codes read. Lots of codes to be read although most caused by me after taking the dash out and forgetting to reconnect the terrain response switch pack Laughing however 3 main concerns firstly low turbo pressure warning caused by a split in one of the inter cooler pipes, second EGR stuck closed and 3rd Glow plug circuit error. (code descriptions will not be word perfect ive blinked since I read them)

So after negotiating use of the garage on sunday when it was closed I purchased some silicone inter cooler pipes, new glow plugs and a bucket load of brake cleaner.

After some fun getting dirty I have managed to changed the inter cooler pipes, cleaned the EGR and re-blocked it off and the bit I am super proud of Changed all the glow plugs WITHOUT having to remove the whole intake manifold!! they are a little awkward but with a little patience it was completed without any issues or calamities Very Happy Very Happy

All the plugs were dead as a door nail but now bring on the cold weather as they will all be glowing like a glowing thing in glowing land Very Happy

Sorry for this post I just needed to tell somebody and thank you for listening Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Daisies bumper released a little so I could get to the inter cooler clamp fixing through the front If your going through hell, keep going!

Wrapper of rear pillars 😀

Post #357115 17th Sep 2018 9:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Well done - especially at getting it all done at once.

Ive got access to hydraulic ramps on the farm next door and boy do they make a difference. Jules

Post #357119 17th Sep 2018 9:51 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Sounds like you're as happy as a dog with two dicks. Well done. Bow down Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #357123 18th Sep 2018 6:00 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Result, a lot of work ticked off there,
well done that man Thumbs Up DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #357144 18th Sep 2018 10:48 am
Dragore

Why thank you Sir

It was a fun day of fettling Very Happy

I now have also found a totally rotten turbo/exhaust clamp that has to be ordered by LR next job asap as it sounds like a boy racer on over boost Confused never mind all the fun of a landy I guess Very Happy If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #357186 18th Sep 2018 8:44 pm
Dragore

Steve D wrote:
Sounds like you're as happy as a dog with two dicks. Well done. Bow down

Indeed as happy as being able to dress to both left and right at the same time Very Happy

Its a good feeling to be able to do some work to her and complete it well to a high standard in a timely manner If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #357187 18th Sep 2018 8:47 pm
Dragore

jules wrote:
Well done - especially at getting it all done at once.

Ive got access to hydraulic ramps on the farm next door and boy do they make a difference.

Thank you I was really pleased I managed to get it all done in 4 hours but the ramp was a god send specially with the inter cooler pipes, it was so much easier even to pop the bumper off at a decent height and as for manoeuvring the new lower pipe into place there would have been so much blue language if it had to be done on my back on the drive.

Would love one in my garage its just not high enough would put Daisy through the roof Laughing If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #357189 18th Sep 2018 8:51 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Dragore,
I am going to be doing a couple of the items you did pretty soon: split inter cooler hose replacement and the glow plugs - they were last replaced 4 years ago but at the back end of last winter it was starting to need multiple cranks to fire up with new battery fitted - we've not had a deep frost yet but I know we will soon Smile

I was interested to know more about were you wrote:

"the bit I am super proud of Changed all the glow plugs WITHOUT having to remove the whole intake manifold"

Any tips or guidance on how you manged this would be much appreciated if it helps me and others in the future to save on time, skin and swearing!

Post #359882 3rd Nov 2018 6:24 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

And there was me all chuffed at changing key fob batteries (after two attempts) and topping up washer fluid Rolling with laughter

Post #359883 3rd Nov 2018 7:46 am
Dragore

mdpslm wrote:
Hi Dragore,
I am going to be doing a couple of the items you did pretty soon: split inter cooler hose replacement and the glow plugs - they were last replaced 4 years ago but at the back end of last winter it was starting to need multiple cranks to fire up with new battery fitted - we've not had a deep frost yet but I know we will soon Smile

I was interested to know more about were you wrote:

"the bit I am super proud of Changed all the glow plugs WITHOUT having to remove the whole intake manifold"

Any tips or guidance on how you manged this would be much appreciated if it helps me and others in the future to save on time, skin and swearing!

Hi sorry its taken me awhile to reply Ive been really busy in work.

First on the agenda was to remove the engine cover and the full fan assembly to give myself room to work, this was actually fairly easy as long as your uber careful not to catch the radiator with the bottom of the fan assembly. There are just 4 plastic clips holding the fan assembly in and a few electrical connectors on the top right side.

I started slowly and began from the left hand side of the engine, after removing the engine covers I firstly removed the fuel filter assembly including carrier making sure I plugged the ends of the fuel pipes with a new clean bolt (sorry can't remember the exact size) to help reduce the need for bleeding the system. I also kept the filter flat and level during removal meaning that the filter stayed full with fuel.

With all this removed I had access to the first 2 plugs that are below the intake manifold, I gently unclipped the electric connector using only 2 finger tips due to the space however if I can get my sausage fingers in without too much trouble others should be fine Very Happy I took a deep reach socket connected to a long extension and released the plug, this wasn't that tight which is good as I was really concerned about snapping anything but caution allowed no catastrophic end of days things happening.

I then did the last plug on the right hand side so moved some ancillary cables to get to that.

This left the last little git of a plug that sits behind the EGR valve assembly, I removed the metal EGR pipe that runs over the top of the engine from the valve and the 1 fixation bolt on the top right of the engine but just left it in situe as the other connection is an absolute nightmare to reach. I already had the intake pipe off the bottom of the valve so removed the 4 retaining screws and moved the EGR (I at this point cleaned the valve out using brake cleaner as it was all gunked up). With this moved I have access to the 3rd plug and with some difficulty managed to complete the change.

As for the intake pipes I loosened the front bumper and pulled it forward as seen in my picture, this allowed me access to the jubilee clip screw for the connection to the intercooler from the top left where the bumper normally sits with the car, without this access to that clip is almost impossible from below or above.

I worked from below after removing the undertray and worked the bottom pipe out with the hard piping, I attached the little pipe to the top of the hard plastic piping before reintroducing it back to the car. My piping was a really tight fit so it took a few ins and outs to work out the correct angle for the new piping but got it eventually. I then went from the top to reconnect the new short pipe to the bottom of the EGR.

After reassembly I started her up and she didn't even cough so I didn't loose a great deal of fuel which was great!

Hope this helps and I'm sorry if this is a little unfollowable as I'm much better at showing Smile If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #360112 7th Nov 2018 3:00 pm
mdpslm

Hi Dragore,
Awesome post and completely understandable to me - THANK YOU Thumbs Up .

I really appreciate the time and effort you've given here and it will undoubtedly make my life easier when I get into changing out my glow plugs.

Once I get it done I'll let you know how it went but it won't be this weekend as my sinuses are playing up at the moment.

Thank you once again!!!

Post #360125 7th Nov 2018 5:39 pm
Dragore

Thank you I do hope this helps even if its just a little and if you have any further questions give me a shout and I will try and help out Smile

As a tip depending how old your Hippo is I would check the exhaust to the turbo clamp, mine is a MY8 and the exhaust is in amazing shape however this clamp was rusted completely through and the exhaust was only being held onto the turbo by age I think. The clamp is a LR only unit too as I could not source one from anywhere else which was unusual, it seems to need to be tack welded to the exhaust after fitting as it has a little metal tab and this was the only piece left intact from my original one.

Good luck mate If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #360139 7th Nov 2018 8:23 pm
mdpslm

So last weekend just before the temperature dropped significantly over here I tackled the the glow plugs and the split intercooler on our Freelander 2 without any real dramas - just in time for winter and our first couple -5 degree mornings - car started really easily so well happy! Very Happy

Reading though Dragore's posts above really helped and made things easy especially getting the fan tray out - this just helped with angles for access - seriously, thank you for making the effort to reply Bow down

The other thing which helped (for me) was using an 8 mm box spanner rather than a long reach socket, like this:

the additional length really made things easier, especially access to the more difficult last 2 plugs.

I only had to change the upper part of the intercooler pipe which I did from above so didn't check the clamp, a jpob for the spring I think.

Thank you!

Post #360805 21st Nov 2018 3:48 am
Dragore

Hey man I'm happy to have helped and I'm really glad you got it completed before the cold sets in Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #360868 21st Nov 2018 10:27 pm
RRBlue

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I followed this approach at the weekend. 8mm box spanner tip was the key. Not sure I would have been able to do it without.

Well worth the investment for this job.

Post #381856 27th Nov 2019 7:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>