Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Lack of power and unresponsive throttle - no codes ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dave DND

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Any restrictions on movement of the lever, or should it be smooth in operation?

Could the movement change with temperature, or is it a case of if it feels nice and smooth it should be ok?

Post #357745 27th Sep 2018 10:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Sows a little resistance normally and if its really hot and dry (no lubricant left) I would expect it to bind or even seize. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357746 27th Sep 2018 11:09 am
Dave DND

Thats useful - thanks

I`m assuming a new turbo to be "lubricated" - but thats a dangerous assumption on my part

Something else to get the garage to check and will report back

Post #357747 27th Sep 2018 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRJimmy

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I agree Dave, you would expect your recon unit to be 100% good.
If you are checking for ease of movement I am pretty sure the actuator needs disconnecting due to the gearing in it. I've not done it in these turbos but any that I did do needed this disconnected first.

Again there are a few post in the site that cover this 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4
72 S3, 6cyl 109 Truck Cab

Post #357748 27th Sep 2018 11:28 am
Dave DND

Garage said that turbo came with a hypo filled with lubricant and great care was taken to make sure it went where it was supposed to go

Post #357749 27th Sep 2018 11:30 am
Dave DND

Update:
The MAP sensor on top of the throttle body was replaced with no difference but we do now have a P0299 error code showing again. The top sensor on the airbox was disconnected with no difference either.

My suspicion is that the vanes are not moving to full extent, meaning that I can drive with a limited window of turbo assistance, but not enough to feel the effects of full boost.

With the fault now very apparent at the garage, and the engine now toastie warm from me having a good thrash, we decided to reset all codes and all electronics back to zero with the thought that if the problem continued, then it was more likely mechanical stickage than electronic reluctance in memory.

No change - so it does "seem" like we may have sticking vanes on the new turbo ??

Saga continues and I will keep you updated.

Post #357980 2nd Oct 2018 11:52 am
LRJimmy

Thanks for the update Dave.

Sorry to hear you are still having the issue but surely if it is the vanes then the unit should be under warranty? 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4

Post #357981 2nd Oct 2018 11:59 am
Dave DND

Yes, its under warranty, and to be fair to the garage they have never questioned that, they are also pulling their hair out though in frustration as they are running out of ideas as to what this could be. They are talking to the suppliers of the turbo with a view to replacing it again.

In fairness to the garage, this is a nasty fault to diagnose and from running my own company, I fully understand their predicament. In praise of them, they have always given me another Freelander as a courtesy car and even had one running and ready with the heater on the other morning, so that it was nice and warm for me to drive home in. They are a really good garage so far, and I will name them when this is all over.

I will ensure to keep updated on here though, as help, suggestions and assistance on forums always needs final closure so others can benefit from what is going on.

Post #357987 2nd Oct 2018 12:30 pm
Dave DND

Update:
The garage have had little or no support from their turbo suppliers for the last 8 weeks (Essex Turbos) who seem to be very unwilling to play fair in this predicament. The car has also been on the Main Dealer diagnostics (at their costs) for a second opinion, to which no conclusive result was given. Most of them seem to think it to be a software fault which I have always totally disagreed with. I can understand the garage not wanting to shell out for trial of another turbo when there was precious little to suggest it was at fault - and we reached a bit of a stalemate.

In fact, I was still so positive that a faulty turbo had been fitted that I proposed something with the garage. I would supply them another Turbo (from Turbo Technics) at my cost which they would fit. If the problems remained the same, then I would pay them for the labour in fitting it. If the problems went away, then the labour would be at their cost, and they would refund what they initially charged me to supply the turbo in the first instance. £1300 gamble but I was convinced the turbo they had just fitted was a bad one.

Guess what . . . . .

Turbo replaced and car drives like a dream - garage refunded my money and very politely and respectfully have understandably hinted that they never want to see me again. I fully understand that one, but I will state for the record that despite them having the car for near 2 months, a few heated discussions and some over reliance on the fault being software, I would still have no hesitation in recommending them, as they have certainly gone above and beyond in their determination of trying everything to fix my nasty fault and remained very professional at all stages. They have a good reputation, and I can see why - its just a shame that this one bit them quite hard.

Mike Harding Landrover @ Bovey Tracey in Devon.

Post #358855 17th Oct 2018 12:41 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Result Thumbs Up I assume Mike Haring Garages will send a bill to the Turbo company. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #358861 17th Oct 2018 1:28 pm
LRJimmy

Good to hear you got it sorted Thumbs Up 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4

Post #359139 21st Oct 2018 11:19 pm
Dave DND

Just done a 500 mile round trip journey and car is behaving as it should

However . . .

Before I started all this, one of the first things I noticed was the oily residue around the pipework from the intercooler to throttle body, around where the normal hose splits and also along the base of the intercooler where that had been damaged also.

I don`t know what prompted me to do this, just a niggle I guess, but I have just had a look inside the new throttle body this morning and have noticed that it is absolutely dripping with oil. I know that there is some form of regenerative process for emmissions where air is recycled and burnt, but what would cause so much oil to be flowing through what I thought was an air intake pipe ?

Just trying to locate the "cause" of my problems now, rather than just leave it as "fixed for now"

Any thoughts or suggestions please?

Post #360106 7th Nov 2018 2:50 pm
Cabit

France 

Bonjour avez vous trouvez le problème ?

Post #408327 27th May 2021 3:41 am
Dave DND

I never did get to the full cause of the problem and lost complete faith in the car, so sold it and bought a later model HSE LUX instead.

Post #408334 27th May 2021 9:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12